The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850: Focus tuning UWA lens... 18mm/2.8

sc_john

Has anyone had success in focus tuning an 18mm/2.8 lens (Zeiss Milvus in this case) on a D850... or D5 or D500 for that matter. I have tried two samples, and could not get either to auto fine tune. I have successfully focus tuned a Nikon 20/1.8 G lens; so I am lost on why process doesn't work on Milvus 18/2.8. I also tried dot-tune method and that wasn't successful, either. TIA for any suggestions or comments.

John

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Going from memory here, and I may be all wet, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to manually enter an ID tag in the AF fine-tune menu for the lens before calibrating it.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
D850: Focus tuning UWA lens ... 18mm/2.8

(...) could not get either to auto fine tune (...)
For D500 I believe using "Auto Fine-Tuning" requires an autofocus lens.
For D500 it's p. 132 in the "Menu Guide" (not the User's Manual).
I don't know the relevant page number for D850.

sc_john

Jack,

Thanks, I will look into that. The Milvus is a chipped lens, so it shows-up in focus tuning as 18mm f/2.8. But, perhaps there is more info needed. A response on FM said that Fine Tune was only for AF lenses. I've tuned MF lenses before, at least I thought I did. Maybe it was just a happy coincidence.

Problem is that both copies of the Milvus 18/2.8 that I am testing show a notable difference in focus at distance of 12-15' between VF vs Live View. :banghead:

John

sc_john

Re: D850: Focus tuning UWA lens ... 18mm/2.8

For D500 I believe using "Auto Fine-Tuning" requires an autofocus lens.
For D500 it's p. 132 in the "Menu Guide" (not the User's Manual).
I don't know the relevant page number for D850.
Steen,

Thanks for your comments; I didn't see your post until after I responded to Jack. Relevant portion of D850 Menu Guide starts on p164, and states "AF lens" a number of times in describing the process. So, it looks like answer to my question is RTFMS...:facesmack:.

John

Last edited: