The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best dedicated L bracket for D850 ?

archivue

Usually i'm buying RRS with great success... but for the D850 i'm not sure !

I'm using my camera on tripod with arca heads ( B2, D4... ), and 50% of the time, the camera is in portrait position and tethered, so i need some space for the cable and the RRS ultralight is fixed.

What's the best choice ?

The RRS ( two models ), the kirk, the sunway ? an other one ?

RRS
RRS MODULAR PLATE

RRS
RRS ULTRALIGHT L-PLATE

Kirk
BL-D850

Sunway
PNL-D850

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like the dedicated RRS plates. I might go with the modular this time for the flexibility.

StevenP

If you might possibly need an awesome flash bracket (and you may not) then I'd suggest looking at the Pro Media Gear L-plates. I don't know if they're even being produced, yet for the D850, but I fell in love with their products when I discovered their Boomerang flash bracket and their growing list of modular accessories that can be built off the plate.

http://www.promediagear.com/Nikon_c_20.html

HOWEVER, I cannot speak to how much room you'll have for cords with the L-bracket. I have an older version for my D810 there the steel pins mount a little differently, but the newer versions (on other cameras) look like they have specifically taken this into account with longer steel pins and the way the screws on the bottom tighten down.

I just wanted to toss that out there, in case you might have a need for some of the stuff in their portfolio of products, since it basically starts with the plate. Hope this helps!