The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for lenses with character for Nikon D850

rollsman44

I have tried many Nikon lenses from primes to their best zoom lenses. My choice in a zoom is the Nikon 28-70/*2.8 Ed IF lens. Yes Heavy But awesome
Thanks. I use it on the D810

epforever

Thanks for all the info. For anyone still following this thread, at this point I'd simply love to know your favorite lenses for the Nikon, and why. Being new to the Nikon world, I'm starting to get an idea of which are the real standouts.

Swissblad

Thanks for all the info. For anyone still following this thread, at this point I'd simply love to know your favorite lenses for the Nikon, and why. Being new to the Nikon world, I'm starting to get an idea of which are the real standouts.
Late addition to this thread - while not really in the requested focal range - these are amongst our favourite lenses for our Nikons:
1. Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro
2. Sigma 35mm f1.4
3. Nikkor 300mm f4.0 PF
4. Nikkor 70-200mm f4.0
5. Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
6. Nikkor 85mm f1.8
7. Nikkor 105mm f1.4E
8. Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

HTH, have fun choosing your new rig.

SB :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

do you still own this lens or did you sell it in the end?

Best

Peter
I sold it when I sold the D810, but the buyer has put it up for sale at the same shop where I sold it. Since I have a D610 now, I'm very tempted to buy it back. It's a rather unique lens. It has been criticised for its "moustache distortion", but that's missing the point with this lens. The over all distortion is extremely low, and it's sharp and contrasty regardless of aperture. It has so much "pop" that it makes cloudy days look sunny and grumpy people look friendly... almost :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) and it's sharp and contrasty regardless of aperture (...)

What Jorgen says :thumbup:

Even wide open the 21mm ZF is amazingly sharp (of course with shallow DOF), and the focus roll-off is delicious.

I'm aware I have shown you this Still Life before, but I think it demonstrates the point quite well.

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D610 • Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/21mm ZF • 1/1250 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D

epforever

Update from the OP: Just got the Zeiss Milvus 35mm f/2 a couple of days ago. It's perfect -- small, light, sharp at f/2 and very sharp from f/2.8 onwards. Really nice rendering as well. Just gorgeous. I am finding MF to be not at all problematic. The viewfinder focus confirmation is accurate, and the dot appears at pretty much only one point in the focus throw, rather than staying lit as I'm rotating the focusing ring. Maybe Nikon made the tolerance / threshold for the dot tighter on the D850.

For anyone else caring to chime in, I'd simply love to know your favorite lenses for the Nikon system, whether AF or MF.

thanks
ethan

JohnBrew

70-200/4, most used lens. Maybe I got lucky but my copy is almost as sharp as my Otus.
Zeiss Otus 55, for street and stitched panos.
I have many other lenses, both Zeiss and Nikkor but only shoot with them when the spirit moves me.