The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Too much Bokeh?

jagsiva

Just got the 105. Will post some pics once I have the lens trimmed and the kids agree to pose :) So far looks great, if not a little plasticky. These are my favourite "blurry" lenses for Nikon. Included the Coastal Optics, its f4, but a macro and does a great job on blurring backgrounds close up.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just need to chime in here with my own particular nit on the subject of "bokeh" ...

To me, bokeh is not just shallow DOF -- it's more in how the depth of focus tapers off, or the transition between what's in focus and what's not. In this, slower optical lenses can have great bokeh, and many do; conversely, very fast optics all certainly render shallow DOF but not all of them necessarily render good bokeh. So at some p[oint it comes down to a certain "je ne sais quoi" character of the lens that invites me into the image...

That is all, carry on...

Shashin

Jack, I agree--bokeh is not shallow depth of field. Bokeh is the quality of the out of focus area in an image, regardless of how much depth of field there is...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
:lecture:Interestingly, DoF and Bokeh are unrelated in another way. To a good approximation, the DoF of, say, a head shot only depends on the f/stop and not the focal length of the taking lens. A wider angle lens puts you closer to the subject, and DoF narrows accordingly.

However! The size of the distant OOF highlights depend only on the actual aperture, and so a 100/2.8 portrait will have twice as large distant light blobs as a 50/2.8 portrait taken from half the distance.

I am, of course, ignoring the character of the OOF region, which is very important, but the amount of blur is the first thing people notice.
/:lecture:

--Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I know is that I still want a Leica 50/0.95 with its beautifully smooth transition in & out of focus. Something that I think that some classic MF lenses do so well.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh, and for equivalence fans, all the factors cancel out and the longer lens bigger sensor will be stopped down to exactly the same physical aperture, so you can’t use bokeh to determine sensor size.

—Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What Matt and Jack said, +1 :thumbup:

There are a thousand different factors that come into play, and a lens that shows beautiful bokeh under some circumstances, can be ugly as f***k under others. The 50mm f/1.2 springs to my mind. What Jack says about transitions maybe the only trustworthy constant. One lens (that I haven't owned) that seems to do it all is the 58mm f/1.4 AF-S. There's a 287 page thread over at FM dedicated to that lens. Unfortunately, its reputation on the F6 isn't very good. Something about AF :(