The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried the Zeiss Milvus 35/1.4 ZF?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I owned it some years ago for my Nikon D800E.

Wonderful lens, but pretty heavy of course and finally I sold it as it did not get much use. But resulting IQ was stellar IMHO!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Are you speaking of the new Milvus 35/1.4 which just came out 2017 . It is quite a bit different and better than the original 35/1.4 ZF . Diglloyd has a terrific detailed test of the new lens ..in summary IQ faultless ....handling excellent on Nikon D body ....weight and size ...big .

Frankly

Just resurrecting this thread, still considering buying it and would love any first hand accounts.

Paul2660

I know it's not an answer, but I considered it, but I have the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, and it has AF, and is amazingly sharp, so I stayed there.

Paul Caldwell

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I haven't owned the 35/1.4, but here are a few general thoughts about Zeiss lenses, particularly the classic ones:
For sharpness alone, I wouldn't choose a manual focus Zeiss. Some of the classic ones aren't even particularly sharp across the frame until they are stopped down. The classic 85/1.4 for example, never really achieves corner sharpness. It's a portrait lens, plain and simple.

However, if you are looking for consistent colour rendering, contrast and micro contrast across the apertures, and a lens that has this impossible to define "look" that makes you stop and enjoy a photo a bit longer, the Zeiss may be the correct choice for you.

Personally, I love that "look", and my liking for the classic Zeiss lenses gets stronger the older I get. If you're chasing legends and undefinable features, this may be the lens. If you're simply looking for a 35mm with maximum sharpness, the Sigma is probably a better choice.

Frankly

Thanks. I already have the 50/1.4 and used to own the 35/2 Milvus, as well as having owned a few of the earlier versions. I absolutely love the 50/1.4, other than being manual focus I find it nearly perfect as an all-arounder.

I don't care for wider lenses so I'm considering the 35 as my wide, I know that's 1953 old-school but.

Frankly

So I just bought one.

I used to buy everything from B&H but being in Upstate NY I hate giving 8% to Fredo Cuomo (our openly corrupt governor)... so I started buying from Samy's in LA. Not only are they the same price but they give you 3% back as a store credit after the return period lapses, so for instance I bought a different Nikon USA lens and saved 3% off the top. Free shipping and similar customer service to B&H, an extra day for shipping.

This time, not needing it to be a Nikon USA product, I revisited Robert White UK... where I used to buy Arca-Swiss stuff ten years ago when the exchange was pretty good. At RW it came to $1749 USd versus the USA price of $1999 and special order status. So I'll have it in four days, faster than domestic for $250 less.

Note, my credit card does not upcharge currency exchanges but had I used PayPal there was a $49 difference. Yikes!

Anyway I look forward to using it as my MFDB view camera substitute on my low resolution D810. Still not sure about moving to the D850 since the main benefit seems to be better auto-focus and a slight improvement in already excellent Dynamic Range. More rez is nice but hardly needed and the thought of having to buy new XQD media and fast SD cards is disheartening. Also I am a two body kind of guy so it's a $7k hit versus resale on D810s only being about $1200 at this point (so a $5k+ investment) is a bit much, I rather buy better glass? At least that's today's rationalization, I'll put off the D850s until they come down in price and Sony kicks Nikon's butt so they firesale them!

Now that I just spent considerable money and further committed to the Nikon DSLR system watch Nikon come out with a beautiful must-have full frame mirrorless SP rangefinder-style kit. I'm hoping they blow it!

Frankly

Wow is it big and heavy. Initial test shots look great, beautiful edges and out of focus areas. Feels twice as large as my 50/1.4 Milvus (technically not so, just impression).

Attachments

JohnBrew

I haven't owned the 35/1.4, but here are a few general thoughts about Zeiss lenses, particularly the classic ones:
For sharpness alone, I wouldn't choose a manual focus Zeiss. Some of the classic ones aren't even particularly sharp across the frame until they are stopped down. The classic 85/1.4 for example, never really achieves corner sharpness. It's a portrait lens, plain and simple.

However, if you are looking for consistent colour rendering, contrast and micro contrast across the apertures, and a lens that has this impossible to define "look" that makes you stop and enjoy a photo a bit longer, the Zeiss may be the correct choice for you.

Personally, I love that "look", and my liking for the classic Zeiss lenses gets stronger the older I get. If you're chasing legends and undefinable features, this may be the lens. If you're simply looking for a 35mm with maximum sharpness, the Sigma is probably a better choice.
Couldn't agree more. Just returned from Portugal where I shot with my D810/Zeiss 50 Makro combo quite a bit.