The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D 850 is very good

stngoldberg

While I don’t consider myself any kind of technical expert evaluator of photography hardware and software (although I have been a serious and passionate amateur photographer for over 40 years), I have owned the Nikon D500, D800 and D810; and I notice a very sizable improvement in the ability to recover shadow and highlight detail when using my new Nikon D 850.
I also own the Phase One 100mpx back and IMHO, the Nikon D 850 comes very close in comparison regarding resolution and/or overall image quality.
I must admit my experience is limited to Nikon’s excellent 500mm f4 lens at this point and I must also admit that I use Hasselblad lenses on my P1 back; however I am reporting that this D 850 sensor is really good and a significant improvement over the D 810.
Stanley

Paul2660

While I don’t consider myself any kind of technical expert evaluator of photography hardware and software (although I have been a serious and passionate amateur photographer for over 40 years), I have owned the Nikon D500, D800 and D810; and I notice a very sizable improvement in the ability to recover shadow and highlight detail when using my new Nikon D 850.
I also own the Phase One 100mpx back and IMHO, the Nikon D 850 comes very close in comparison regarding resolution and/or overall image quality.
I must admit my experience is limited to Nikon’s excellent 500mm f4 lens at this point and I must also admit that I use Hasselblad lenses on my P1 back; however I am reporting that this D 850 sensor is really good and a significant improvement over the D 810.
Stanley
Hi Stanley.

I was myself a bit disappointed, coming from the Sony chipped D800 and D810. I don't see the same push I had seen in both of these cameras even at base ISO. The higher ISO ranges are still a toss up, but the D850 for me is still an improvement due to the Full ES and fact you can fire the shutter from the LCD, via touch like on a P1 back. Love this and use it a lot. Focus peaking is excellent also. The default sharpening on the LCD can fool me at times, leaving me with images that are not quite tack sharp, but again I am getting used to this issue and double checking focus. The tilting LCD also is a huge improvement for my work, as I now can get low and still see what I am doing without having to cram into the optical or try and see the LCD (non tilting).

I did have worked with the D850 only once at night, and it seemed to possibly have the old white dot issue of the D810, but I need to test that again.

It's been confirmed that this chip is not a Sony, not sure who did fab it however.

Colors are nice, and seem very true, C1's default profile is very good also. C1 lacks the pano tools that I love in LR, or CC so depending on the image I go either way.

LR seems to my eyes to get just a bit more detail at the expense of noise, where as C1 produces a very clean file, albeit, slightly softer in the finer detail, most of which are recoverable with sharpening.

Amazing that the camera is still not in stock at B&H or Adorama, almost 6 months after launch, Nikon has done well with it. Not to mention their latest lenses.

Paul Caldwell

jagsiva

Been a D800 and D800E user for a while and recently went to the D850, and could not agree more on it being a worthwhile upgrade. I also use an IQ3100, RM3Di, and XF, as sometimes it is a toss-up to take the more "portable" kit :)

DougDolde

I love my new D850, it's better in every respect except resolution than the Phase One IQ180 I sold. Not to mention lighter and more field friendly.