The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old Nikkor A/AI 35/1.4

V

Vivek

Is there any renewed interest in this? Someone looked up my old (>10 years!) post elsewhere and was trying to contact me.

AFAIK, it is a compact (compared to the modern AF lenses), well made lens with lots of “character”. Not particularly sharp...

Anyone still using this?

Photon42

Yes, I do. Occasionally with the DF. Sharpness is fine from f4, but I do not care too much about it with this lens. I use it more for environmental stuff, and the rendering at f/1.4 suits me well there. I happen to like the lower contrast AI glass from Nikon. Good addition to modern Leica lenses, for example. But then, no one rang me up 3am in the morning yet to discuss out of focus rendering of the 35mm legend.

V

Vivek

This is the one I (still) have.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Popped it on my A7rII(m) (monochrome camera) and it looks like it will be seeing much action. I had used it on a Nikon F2 and then it was stored in its bubble case.

Boket wide open isn't smooth but then there are very few fast lenses that do superbly in IR! :)

BTW, looking through the lens, it is yellow tinted. Possibly radioactive. No idea if that is what helps with the monochrome camera.