The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D810 - Live & Shoot Focus

jvora

Hello :

Have the D810 and Sigma Art 35mm, 50mm & 85mm Lenses.

So if one were to use live focus, would one keep the Aperture Wide Open or Stop Down to the selected Aperture while Live Focusing ?

If it’s Stop Down, does on hit the Depth Of Field Preview Button to get to the selected Aperture or is there another way to have the camera Stop Down while focusing on the Live View Mode.

Hope my question is clear and I have understood the concepts correctly, if not kindly correct.

jai

Cross Posted.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hello :

Have the D810 and Sigma Art 35mm, 50mm & 85mm Lenses.

So if one were to use live focus, would one keep the Aperture Wide Open or Stop Down to the selected Aperture while Live Focusing ?

If it’s Stop Down, does on hit the Depth Of Field Preview Button to get to the selected Aperture or is there another way to have the camera Stop Down while focusing on the Live View Mode.

Hope my question is clear and I have understood the concepts correctly, if not kindly correct.

jai

Cross Posted.
FOr best results, I reco focusing at taking aperture -- in that, WYSWIG :)

SrMphoto

FOr best results, I reco focusing at taking aperture -- in that, WYSWIG :)
While focusing at taking/working aperture eliminates any worries about focus shift, to my eyes focusing manually with fully open aperture is more precise as the DOF is shallower.
For live-view manual focus I focus with fully open aperture and then verify focus with working aperture.