The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I went back in time!

rayyan

Choosing a camera is hard work. To earn the money. And then to think a hundred times where to spend it. At least for me.
I was double ( or triple minded ). Question was, should I get a Fuji XH-1, or a MFT. Then the Sony A7 iii was announced.

No! And while Ayesha is away in Bucharest, I went in to the Nikon dealer.

D850. Heavier than me. Same with the D810. Except for the D850, I was being offered very good discounts.

Got me a D750. Brand new in sealed wrappers and box, with a local guarantee and guess what?

For about US$ 500.00 less than what Nikon and BH are selling this for right at this moment.

The battery is charging. I have the lenses I need. Maybe a 16-35 f/4..later; who knows.

Want! Not Need. GAS.

Thorkil

Congrats Rayyan with your new camera........
but....BUT...but...that mean you betrayed our (/now just mine...) wonderfull Df :cry::cry::cry:
but anyway...I hope you will do well with your new girlfriend.. :scry:
best Thorkil
(I'll just wait for Ayesha to come back to you...:p)

Godfrey

You inspired me to pull out my favorite old DSLR, the Olympus E-1, and charge up its battery. But I'd pulled the battery out last time I put it away, so it's still fully charged. Installed it, tested the camera ... still working perfectly! Fifteen years old and going strong! Bah! Who needs megapixels or speed? 5 MPixels should be enough for anyone! :toocool:

See what happens when you post such motivating things? :D

LOL!!!!
G

rayyan

G.

Make you and the Oly, for a long long time to come!
No more motivating posts from me...cannot afford them!

But I have been viewing the Q! Just viewing mind you ;)

Take care G.

You inspired me to pull out my favorite old DSLR, the Olympus E-1, and charge up its battery. But I'd pulled the battery out last time I put it away, so it's still fully charged. Installed it, tested the camera ... still working perfectly! Fifteen years old and going strong! Bah! Who needs megapixels or speed? 5 MPixels should be enough for anyone! :toocool:

See what happens when you post such motivating things? :D

LOL!!!!
G

rayyan

Thorkil, first my thanks to all the ' young ' friends that liked the post.

One thing, Thorkil, you must know about Rayyan...never ' betrays ' nor leaves his old friends behind. We walk together.
New friends might join us...but we walk together.
Sacrilege!

Stay well Thorkil.

Congrats Rayyan with your new camera........
but....BUT...but...that mean you betrayed our (/now just mine...) wonderfull Df :cry::cry::cry:
but anyway...I hope you will do well with your new girlfriend.. :scry:
best Thorkil
(I'll just wait for Ayesha to come back to you...:p)

Photon42

One thing, Thorkil, you must know about Rayyan...never ' betrays ' nor leaves his old friends behind. We walk together.
Sacrilege!

Stay well Thorkil.
Looks/sounds familiar ...

Godfrey

As much as it would be fun, I could never have kept all the gear I've owned and used over the years. There wouldn't be enough room in my office for it all, never mind for me and my desk! :D

I don't get so attached to gear, however. The wonderful cameras I've owned have been tools, even if I've liked them a lot.

I've kept a few of my favorites from the past thirty years, and re-acquired a few of the older ones I missed.

Now I have to plan an outing to shoot that E-1 and maybe the Leicaflex SL with some of the Ferrania P30 film I got for it. :)

G

Thorkil

Sacrilege!

Stay well Thorkil.

Thank you Rayyan, what a relief...then you can go back when you miss the golden past or the mood dictate soft rendering and objects :thumbup:
best Thorkil

bensonga

"I went back in time!....Got me a D750."
So you went all the way back to 2014. I thought you were going to say you bought a 10 year old D700 or something a little further back in time. I guess in the digital age, buying a 4 year old camera is noteworthy.

I recently went back in time too Rayyan, but I went WAY back (digitally speaking)....to 2001.

5.3 megapixels was "Class leading resolution" in 2001.

Who in their right mind would pay even $100 for a camera like this? :loco:

I did have to buy a new battery for it. The old NiMH battery was good for 3-5 shots. New battery cost another $30. This 17 year old digital camera has a new lease on life.

Gary

Last edited:

Photon42

So you went all the way back to 2014. I thought you were going to say you bought a 10 year old D700 or something a little further back in time. I guess in the digital age, buying a 4 year old camera is noteworthy.

I recently went back in time too Rayyan, but I went WAY back (digitally speaking)....to 2001.

5.3 megapixels was "Class leading resolution" in 2001.

Who in their right mind would pay even $100 for a camera like this? :loco:

I did have to buy a new battery for it. The old NiMH battery was good for 3-5 shots. New battery cost another $30. This 17 year old digital camera has a new lease on life.

Gary
Just reading off the Nikon page:

"Compatible with the The Coolwalker Digital Storage Photo Viewer: Store up to 10,000 digital photos on the 30GB hard drive and view them on the high-quality 2.5 inch TFT color monitor. Stores JPEG, TIFF and other major image file formats, including NEF files"

Time flies.

bensonga

Just reading off the Nikon page:

"Compatible with the The Coolwalker Digital Storage Photo Viewer: Store up to 10,000 digital photos on the 30GB hard drive and view them on the high-quality 2.5 inch TFT color monitor. Stores JPEG, TIFF and other major image file formats, including NEF files"

Time flies.
Using a camera of the D1x's vintage makes me appreciate almost any digital camera built within the past 10 years so much more. And yet, it has that classic Nikon quality feel and sound when the shutter fires. :thumbs:

Like Rayyan, I keep my cameras for a very long time, so the D1x is now part of my Nikon family which stretches back to my first F2 bought ~40 years ago.

rayyan

I keep my cameras as it is difficult to sell them here. The market is beginning to develop for photography/equipment.
The other reason being that my kids and 2 grandkids think there is a store, where they can have a choice of cameras for the vacations..for free. I cannot disappoint them.

All my cams are with me since I bought them. They see use. By members of the family.
And one of my grand daughters has become interested in my Leicas...so I get the chance to spend time with her.

Good luck and good light to all of you, whatever camera/s you use.

Best regards.

Photon42

My FM2 I bought new in 1982 is still with me, albeit needs repair. It was so expensive for me, that I could not afford buying a lens at the same time and needed to borrow one. The two lenses I bought thereafter (105/2.5 and 35/2) and I still own are probably the reason I never really quit with Nikon. Bought a DF when it came out and now added a well used D810. Still learning on the latter.