The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are batteries interchangeable D850 : D810?

Frankly

I know they make a new battery to with the 850 but will the older batteries and chargers work forward and backward between D810 and D850?

Seems like a pretty basic question but I do not see it addressed. I have a dozen D800/D810 batteries and several chargers, both OEM and third party... and if I have buy several new batteries and chargers along with XQD media that adds up pretty quickly.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have not tried this myself in the D850 sine I never bought one, but have asked and the info was that batteries are interchangeable with the batteries from the D810 (and all other cameras where these batteries fit).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
"12) Older Nikon EN-EL15 Batteries Are Compatible

Although the Nikon D850 will come with the new EN-EL15a batteries, you can continue to use your older EN-EL15 batteries from your D800 / D800E / D810 and other cameras with the D850, which is great news, since you do not have to spend money buying all new batteries again. This is a huge plus for someone who wants to shoot with two camera bodies like Nikon D850 and D810, since you can can carry the same battery charger and share batteries between cameras."

https://photographylife.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nikon-d850

Dustbak

I am not sure about the D810 however I do use the batteries I used with my D800e with my D850 as well. No problem whatsoever.

Paul2660

Just wanted to add, for some reason, the Watson batteries, made for D800/D810 will not work on the D850. I realize these are non Nikon, but some folks may be using these are similar non Nikon batteries.

No error, just won’t power up. Still work fine in the D810/D810A, etc.

Paul Caldwell