The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just bought a AF NIKKOR 18mm f/2.8D

DougDolde

From KEH for $619. Should be interesting I've no idea if these are any good but a cheap way to get an ultra wide3EBCB9DC-E0BD-4A74-BF1C-C8C9FB92DD7D.jpeg

ptomsu

Workshop Member
From KEH for $619. Should be interesting I've no idea if these are any good but a cheap way to get an ultra wide
If I was still in NikonI would have bought this lens for that money. Nothing can go wrong IMHO :thumbup:

You will love it!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had one, liked it "okay" but finally sold it primarily because I never used it -- generally preferring 24 or wider than 18. I have a Samyang 14 -- cheap like ~ $325 at B&H new -- well made and surprisingly excellent optically(!), especially when stopped down to 5.6 or 8. My ideal ultra-wide would probably be a 16 rectilinear in AF; to wit I frequently shoot the Sammy 14 a bit loose and correct then crop -- which also removes 99% of its warts, leaving an excellent image. I know the Zeiss at 15 would do as well or better, but the Samyang 14 for 1/8th the cost serves surprisingly well for my limited need. Plus its small and light enough, it's always in the bag when I travel.

D&A

There is considerable sample to sample variation in this particular lens. The ones I tested and used had considerable to horrific mustache distortion and soft corners. Not one of Nikon's better efforts but then again it was designed at a time when the 18mm focal length in 35mm format was somewhat exotic. Hope yours turns out to be one of the better ones.

Dave (D&A)