The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

iiiNelson

I was right: I was not clear :).

What I meant is that 'fake' ISO-s should be marked so that you use them only when you know what you are doing and not select them accidentally. As you know, for the best dynamic range you use the lowest ISO, unless it is 'fake'. Hence the importance of marking the 'fake' ISOs clearly (underlined, Lo.x, ....).

Even though I do not see it that way, I agree that button customization can be seen as an advantage.
FWIW ISO 50 and ISO 100 provide exactly the same amount of DR... ISO 64 or 80 do not. So there’s no harm in using ISO 50 as a “fake” ISO to maximize DR in your image.

As for the reat it will will be interesting to see what Nikon presents (and Canon too for that matter) but I’d likely pass on both. The smart thing for either of them to do is release their mirrorless camera in EOS and F mount and forego a new mount simply because it would take them upwards of 5-10 years to build out a new lineup of mirrorless lenses. Unless they planned to stick with zooms and semi-fast primes in the common lens types.

Or as mentioned above... adopting E-mount would be smart and unexpected with instant lens support. At that point it will be about just choosing the body you prefer and mix and match from the excellent lens choice and adapter support.

SrMphoto

FWIW ISO 50 and ISO 100 provide exactly the same amount of DR... ISO 64 or 80 do not. So there’s no harm in using ISO 50 as a “fake” ISO to maximize DR in your image.

As for the reat it will will be interesting to see what Nikon presents (and Canon too for that matter) but I’d likely pass on both. The smart thing for either of them to do is release their mirrorless camera in EOS and F mount and forego a new mount simply because it would take them upwards of 5-10 years to build out a new lineup of mirrorless lenses. Unless they planned to stick with zooms and semi-fast primes in the common lens types.

Or as mentioned above... adopting E-mount would be smart and unexpected with instant lens support. At that point it will be about just choosing the body you prefer and mix and match from the excellent lens choice and adapter support.
I am referring to Kasson's blog about fake ISOs on Sony A7rII: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-a7rii-fake-isos/
Executive summary: "if you shoot raw, don’t ever use the fake ISO settings". Instead of using ISO 50 it seems to be better to add a stop of exposure compensation as it allows the histogram to be useful.

I think that Nikon's mirrorless system needs a new, optimized mount so that the lenses can be hopefully smaller and lighter. When Sony a7r launched they were embraced by so many Canon shooters that could use Canon lenses with Metabones adapters. A good adapter (and FT1 is a good adapter) could do the same for a new Nikon mirrorless system. Likely, Nikon wants their customers to use efficiently existing Nikon's lenses, not Sony's.

msadat

is Nikon financially able to carry two full frame with different mounts? also, sony and Sigma have proven that mirrorless does not nearly mean small, maybe Nikon just rolls out an evf version with Nikon f mount.

iiiNelson

I am referring to Kasson's blog about fake ISOs on Sony A7rII: https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/sony-a7rii-fake-isos/
Executive summary: "if you shoot raw, don’t ever use the fake ISO settings". Instead of using ISO 50 it seems to be better to add a stop of exposure compensation as it allows the histogram to be useful.

I think that Nikon's mirrorless system needs a new, optimized mount so that the lenses can be hopefully smaller and lighter. When Sony a7r launched they were embraced by so many Canon shooters that could use Canon lenses with Metabones adapters. A good adapter (and FT1 is a good adapter) could do the same for a new Nikon mirrorless system. Likely, Nikon wants their customers to use efficiently existing Nikon's lenses, not Sony's.
Thats fine... just going off 5 years of using the cameras...

tcdeveau

Nikon Rumors is reporting we're one week away from the announcement of the rumored cameras

:watch::watch::watch::watch::watch:

tcdeveau

Yeah they did another post to clarify that we are one week away from the rumored announcement date of the rumored camera

I hope it’s still next week too though. With all the talk of the new cameras that are supposed to be coming (X2D, GFX100, Nikon/Canon mirrorless, etc) I think we’re all looking forward to seeing them materialize, whenever that may be.

I’m pulling for Nikon on this one and hope they “get it right” from the start. I always enjoyed shooting Nikon more than their competitors. Not that their competitors aren’t capable systems (an image of mine from an A7RII was a finalist in a competition last year with a $15k USD first prize), I just never connected with other 35mm systems like I did any of my Nikons.

k-hawinkler

Well, over the years my 2 favorite cameras, among many others, are Nikon D3 and Sony A9. Right now the A9 sets the standard for me to compare against.

Godfrey

I checked in on this thread again to see whether any official announcement had surfaced yet. I guess not yet...

Meanwhile I've been testing the Leica CL body with all my lenses and accessories. It's doing very nicely indeed.. the camera is in most ways very well thought out and Leica has certainly done their homework on compatibility with M and R lenses. It is the APS-C format, which helps in that regard but also poses some other advantages for me—although I'd have bought a FF version if it were available.

I hope Nikon does a similarly good job of it and makes a good, clean lens mount adapter that really lets their audience take full advantage of the entire SLR lens line!

G

jdphoto

I'm hoping for a hybrid VF in the new Nikon mirrorless camera. After shooting with the Leica CL, Q, Sony A7 series, Fuji XT2. I much prefer an OVF for my style. When shooting in bright ambient light or low light, long exposures, an EVF just plain sucks. A histogram is more then adequate for gauging exposure and personally, I feel more connected to my subjects when shooting portraits with an OVF. Staring at a TV screen, imo, is not conducive to being an extension of my creativity. Obviously, a subjective comment, but the physics of the EVF in regards to luminance and refresh rates are not natural in photography. Fuji's Xpro series are perfect in this regard.

Godfrey

After using both EVF and OVF, I have chosen OVF for my style of shooting. I do not think EVF has any advantage over OVF as per my comment below. I will also add, that the heavier OVF cameras are actually more useful in low light using slow shutter speed as the weight is an advantage for stability when hand holding the camera.
All right. How many times do you care to repeat that?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have no doubt that this camera will be awesome. I'm also confident that Nikon and Canon together will take well over 50% of the mirrorless market within a few years. Canon just passed Olympus and became the best selling mirrorless brand in Japan. Considering their mediocre selection of bodies and lenses, that's quite impressive, and says something about their reputation in the market and the strength of their brand.

V

Vivek

The rumored lens mount dimensions of the Nikon mirrorless is only slightly larger than that of the Sony E mount (47mm inner and 61mm outer). The rumored camera registry (16mm) is even shorter than that of Sony.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As a long year Nikon DSLR shooter and now heavy Olympus m43 user I have been long waiting for the moment (time) when Nikon would seriously start competing in the mirrorless world.

For me FF would offer a real complement to m43 (definitely better than any APSC) and with the right lenses I am sure that this system will be able to achieve magnificent results - so waiting to see the real thing and hoping to add to my gear. Should also be possible to reuse lot of my M glass .... think of a Leica 1.0/50 Noctilux on this body
:cool:

A Nikon FF mirrorless as somehow can be imagined from this teaser should at least from the form factor be much, Much, MUCH better suited for my needs than any of the existing Sony bodies - sorry Sony, but you had now many years to take your time for coming up with a more appropriate form factor in your cameras.

Also the obviously huge mount will be a serious advantage for designing fast glass and not being a limitation as the small Sony E mount for lens designers from the very beginning!

Great times ahead :thumbs::toocool: