The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So far I have not seen any info by Canikon that would challenge the performance of my Sony A9. I even get to shoot manual only Nikon lenses with AF. :thumbs:
Agree on that but the Sony A9 has simply the flaw that all the Sony A7 and A9 bodies have - grip to lens space is too narrow for my taste and I do not have the biggest hands. So either Sony finally brings a larger PRO model (which I would have been waiting for instead of the A9, or I will be rather in the Nikon boat. :cool:

I know Sony will not care for that but if more people think this way that might change their attitude.

k-hawinkler

Agree on that but the Sony A9 has simply the flaw that all the Sony A7 and A9 bodies have - grip to lens space is too narrow for my taste and I do not have the biggest hands. So either Sony finally brings a larger PRO model (which I would have been waiting for instead of the A9, or I will be rather in the Nikon boat. :cool:

I know Sony will not care for that but if more people think this way that might change their attitude.
Well Peter, I agree it could be a tad wider. For me so far it has been only an issue for one lens.

pegelli

Well Peter, I agree it could be a tad wider. For me so far it has been only an issue for one lens.
My "biggest" lens is the 70-300 G and both on the A7 and A7ii I find the grip and grip-to-lens distance very comfortable. I have big hands (European glove size 11) so I don't think the comfort feeling is strictly hand size related but probably due to other personal factors and what one would call "muscle memory". But I agree that if a camera doesn't feel good in your hands (I have that feeling with several Nikon (D)SLR bodies) it's no use getting one, no matter how good all the other specs and performance are.

iiiNelson

My "biggest" lens is the 70-300 G and both on the A7 and A7ii I find the grip and grip-to-lens distance very comfortable. I have big hands (European glove size 11) so I don't think the comfort feeling is strictly hand size related but probably due to other personal factors and what one would call "muscle memory". But I agree that if a camera doesn't feel good in your hands (I have that feeling with several Nikon (D)SLR bodies) it's no use getting one, no matter how good all the other specs and performance are.
I mostly use primes but when I’ve tried fast and/or long zooms I understand why people would want more room. The battery grip helps a lot though... but I wouldn’t mind a larger body (not significantly larger... just XH1 sized which is just a bit wider and taller) for when one doesn’t want to use a grip... and a full size HDMI port.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I would have bought a D850 by now but they tease this so I'm waiting. While I appreciate not being shocked at having a new improved model coming out the day after you buy something, it seems like a marketing mistake.
Did they solve the D850 shortage? I thought I read people were still having a hard time finding them but maybe that’s a clue that the sensor will be used in the Mirrorless bodies as well.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Someone has been playing with Photoshop, based on the "leak" videos. I don't know how exact these are, but they do give an indication about size and ergonomics:

pegelli

Someone has been playing with Photoshop, based on the "leak" videos. I don't know how exact these are, but they do give an indication about size and ergonomics:
Thanks Jorgen!

It seems that people who like a bigger mirrorless body (with more distance between grip and lens) will be served well by this new Nikon!

It's great to have choices :thumbup:

V

Vivek

In this case, yes. Everyone is confronted with a new system mount and has to start afresh. :)

Thanks Jorgen!

It seems that people who like a bigger mirrorless body (with more distance between grip and lens) will be served well by this new Nikon!

It's great to have choices :thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In this case, yes. Everyone is confronted with a new system mount and has to start afresh. :)
A first in Nikon history exept for the defunct 1 mount that few converted to. For Olympus owners, this has happened three times; from Pen to OM, from OM to 4/3 and from 4/3 to m4/3. For Canon owners twice already; from FD to EF, from EF to EF-M, and the question is if EF-M will support full frame sensors and lenses.

Leica of course, being a small company, has made it much simpler for their customers. If we omit the screw mount, there's just the M-mount, the R-mount, the S-mount and the SL-mount, three of them still alive and in use.

It's outrageous that Nikon will offer another mount already after 59 years. 100 years should be a minimum for these standards :lecture: :ROTFL:

With only around 50 Nikkor AF lenses currently in production, a handful of manual focus lenses plus the odd third party lens (can't be more than a hundred or so), Nikon DSLR users are in for a hard time :cry:

Bugleone

Actually, although Nikon has kept the same bayonet for 59 years they have NOT kept the faith.......the latest 'entry' model(s) such as D3400 will not take the older lenses and can't cope with any lens with an aperture ring....... So, Nikon is changing it's mount by stealth rather than open honesty.

As regards the new mirrorless model I see that (if rumours are correct) Nikon has kept to it's main 'design' ethic wherein any serious model has to be a huge door-stop of a thing with hulking great body that only an emporers hands can hold.....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually, although Nikon has kept the same bayonet for 59 years they have NOT kept the faith.......the latest 'entry' model(s) such as D3400 will not take the older lenses and can't cope with any lens with an aperture ring....... So, Nikon is changing it's mount by stealth rather than open honesty.

As regards the new mirrorless model I see that (if rumours are correct) Nikon has kept to it's main 'design' ethic wherein any serious model has to be a huge door-stop of a thing with hulking great body that only an emporers hands can hold.....
Could not be happier about finally getting mirrorless cameras of decent size - not that tiny things screwed to heavy glass like Sony is still doing and Fuji did at least till the introduction of the X-H1.

V

Vivek

Correct! The latest E lenses will be compatible (via adapter) on
the upcoming mirror less but not with the Nikon F mount cams.

iiiNelson

A first in Nikon history exept for the defunct 1 mount that few converted to. For Olympus owners, this has happened three times; from Pen to OM, from OM to 4/3 and from 4/3 to m4/3. For Canon owners twice already; from FD to EF, from EF to EF-M, and the question is if EF-M will support full frame sensors and lenses.

Leica of course, being a small company, has made it much simpler for their customers. If we omit the screw mount, there's just the M-mount, the R-mount, the S-mount and the SL-mount, three of them still alive and in use.

It's outrageous that Nikon will offer another mount already after 59 years. 100 years should be a minimum for these standards :lecture: :ROTFL:

With only around 50 Nikkor AF lenses currently in production, a handful of manual focus lenses plus the odd third party lens (can't be more than a hundred or so), Nikon DSLR users are in for a hard time :cry:
Nikon and Canon also used to make Rangefinders that they dropped support for when moving to SLR cameras. So there’s that as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I could not care less that Nikon introduces a new mount finally after 50+ or so years. Long overdue :thumbs:

V

Vivek

Maybe they will come with a 100anniversary edition S. I remember the earlier edition. Most bought it to be stored in its box to sell it later as a collector’s item.

Nikon and Canon also used to make Rangefinders that they dropped support for when moving to SLR cameras. So there’s that as well.

iiiNelson

Maybe they will come with a 100anniversary edition S. I remember the earlier edition. Most bought it to be stored in its box to sell it later as a collector’s item.
True and some of the prices for LNIB S3 Cameras are absurd IMO but many that actually shot with the S3 say it’s a really good Rangefinder. I can’t say how good it is or isn’t personally. I had an opportunity to buy a regular Nikon S a few years back for a decent price but I could’ve also had a good condition Leica M6TTL, a gently used M7, or a user grade M-P for close to the same price and I’d trust the mechanics of the Leica (and the ability to have any issues fixed) a bit more personally. I passed on all and decided to pickup a Minolta SRT202 instead for my 35mm film camera. It’s all mechanical, the lenses are of good quality, and it’s rather inexpensive for a side hobby film camera.

DougDolde

I wouldn't trade my D850 for one. It's already tiny compared to medium format. The D850 is essentially mirrorless in Live View mode anyway.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You are correct of course.

I was offered a LNIB S3 2000 for a decent price a few years ago. I regret not buying it, not for collecting but to use. It's a beautiful camera and seems to work well too.