The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

pegelli

C'mon man, be specific, who started it all (in this thread and in general on GetDPI), what is it really all about ... ?
I've been very specific (see my earlier response to Thorkil, post #468) but for your benefit: The comparisons started in post #1 and post #4 of this thread and none of these read "Sony is better", they all said "this is what Sony is doing wrong and the new Nikon will be (or is expected to be) better".

As far as general GetDPI just look at any thread about Sony FF mirrorless camera announcements, plenty examples of people who were keen to point out all the nitty gritty mistakes and flaws of the first series of FF mirrorless cameras.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think you're missing my point Jorgen, while you praise their seamless integration with all older lenses it's far from seamless in my book, no matter what type of excuses you're trying to dream up. Many Nikon users happily using these older lenses will feel left in the cold. I understand why Nikon is doing this, but just don't call it seamless when it isn't.

We'll see about the rest of your post, everybody is entitled to their own speculative thoughts. Only time will tell :angel:

My opinion is that Canon and Nikon bringing out mirrorless FF's is a good thing for all users, more choice and more competition (on both capabilities and price) and I don't think any of these three will go under. And if one of them does so be it, we will still have the choice of two other FF-mirrorless cameras (if that's what we want).
If Sony would have gone bottoms up 2 or 3 years ago we would have had none :scry:
No need to be disappointed. The typical "advanced amateur" uses a DSLR camera and will continue to do so for years to come. The first 6 months of 2018, 70% more DSLR bodies were sold than mirrorless bodies, and these two Nikon cameras won't change that much. I have friends who consider themselves photo enthusiasts (and they are), who are very happy with their Nikon D90 or Canon 50D cameras. When and if they upgrade, some time around 2025 or 30 probably, it might as well be to another DSLR. They don't know that Sony makes mirrorless cameras and they won't find out that Nikon makes them for many years. Mirrorless cameras are bought by young people who think that Canon Rebels look boring and by technology addicts of the kind you find on forums like this.

Many consumers start to become tired of the constant flow of new technology. Many of my friends who needed a new laptop the last year have bought the ageing MacBook Air. None has bought that MacBook with a single hole in the side. Those I have asked tell me that they can't see the point with a computer that can't connect to all their old disks and scanners and stuff (and I agree). Many are of the same opinion when it comes to electronic viewfinders and memory cards with weird names. Try asking people you meet on the street what an XQD card is. Or rolling shutter. Or buffer size. A joystick is something on the children's Nintendo game thing.

These two new Nikon cameras are conservative pieces of machinery although they look forward. Many blame Nikon for that, but I think that was a correct decission by Nikon. They went all out where it counts, like the lens mount. Now they can sit back, see what happens and develop an even higher end mirrorless (the Z9?), and they can let Fuji, Olympus etc. fight over the low end, low margin part of the mirrorless market which must be less than 10%, or maybe 15% of the total ILC market. Because low end is still Rebel territory.

Thorkil

despite all worries on Nikon's behalf, I'm still very strongly optimistic, and stand as nr. 1 on the waitinglist at Foto-C, in Copenhagen, who claims my Z6 will arrive at 1. october, but that date I would think is too optimistic, perhaps 1. november.
Shall I put in a good word to Henning there?, perhaps he will send abroad..
:angel:

k-hawinkler

despite all worries on Nikon's behalf, I'm still very strongly optimistic, and stand as nr. 1 on the waitinglist at Foto-C, in Copenhagen, who claims my Z6 will arrive at 1. october, but that date I would think is too optimistic, perhaps 1. november.
Shall I put in a good word to Henning there?, perhaps he will send abroad..
:angel:
Well congratulations, and after you have received your Z6 I wish you enjoy it as much as I do my A9. All of us benefit from real competition between the various companies.

Thorkil

Well congratulations, and after you have received your Z6 I wish you enjoy it as much as I do my A9. All of us benefit from real competition between the various companies.
Yes, thank you, I hope so too. My next problem after that might be just getting out of the front door, which to me might turn out to be a much bigger problem than one or 2 slot :rolleyes::rolleyes:

k-hawinkler

I lost still images and videos for technical design flaws only.

Still images: The Leica M9 had the tendency to corrupt the file system and images already stored on the memory card due to the M9’s faulty power management. Solution: Panasonic Gold Memory Cards that prevent the M9 from creating havoc on the card.

Videos: Fast Lexar UHS II SD memory cards. They had a design flaw that corrupted video files in UHS II slots in my E-M5.2 and E-M1.2 cameras, but that worked just fine in slower UHS I slots of Olympus and Sony cameras. Solution: Send in the cards to Micron for a free firmware update. After that the fast Lexar cards work without problems in UHS II slots.

So, as I am not making a living from photography, I am fairly relaxed about the 1 or 2 slot issue. But with having only 1 slot, Nikon created an easily avoidable PR problem. Not smart.

SrMphoto

I've been very specific (see my earlier response to Thorkil, post #468) but for your benefit: The comparisons started in post #1 and post #4 of this thread and none of these read "Sony is better", they all said "this is what Sony is doing wrong and the new Nikon will be (or is expected to be) better".

As far as general GetDPI just look at any thread about Sony FF mirrorless camera announcements, plenty examples of people who were keen to point out all the nitty gritty mistakes and flaws of the first series of FF mirrorless cameras.
#4 was my post (list of A7rIII issues), which was a reply to your post that judging ergonomics is personal. I may have read more in your post then you intended to write. You corrected me in a few points, and I am thankful for that, as I learned something.

The list of Sony A7rIII fails has long simmered within me and I saw your post as a good opportunity to share with people interested in Nikon mirrorless cameras. There is also a Sony forum on GetDPI, I would never post it there. That would be disrespectful, IMO.

SrMphoto

Steve Perry mentioned it in his video. Of course, I do not know his source.

K-H.
After some research, it seems his source is DPReview:
"With our preliminary findings, we estimate the readout speed of this sensor at roughly 1/15 sec: a rate comparable with the Sony a7R III."

If I am right then Steve Perry is wrong stating it as a fact.

k-hawinkler

After some research, it seems his source is DPReview:
"With our preliminary findings, we estimate the readout speed of this sensor at roughly 1/15 sec: a rate comparable with the Sony a7R III."

If I am right then Steve Perry is wrong stating it as a fact.

That seems to be a minor quibble.

As the Nikon Z cameras are to a large degree based on Sony chip technology, except for the A9 with 1/160 s, all the Sony cameras have values in the 1/15, 1/20, or 1/30 s range. Even the Olympus E-M1.2 with 1/60 s sensor readout time has horrible rolling shutter distortions when shooting Hummingbirds in Flight with the electronic shutter.

To make a long story short, it’s a save bet the Z cameras have joined that rolling shutter artifacts club.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It would be interesting to see a poll where photographers answered what they use the second slot for. I could never make up my mind, so ended up with an unused card there. Now I only have cameras with one slot. Problem solved :lecture: :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

That seems to be a minor quibble.

As the Nikon Z cameras are to a large degree based on Sony chip technology, except for the A9 with 1/160 s, all the Sony cameras have values in the 1/15, 1/20, or 1/30 s range. Even the Olympus E-M1.2 with 1/60 s sensor readout time has horrible rolling shutter distortions when shooting Hummingbirds in Flight with the electronic shutter.

To make a long story short, it’s a save bet the Z cameras have joined that rolling shutter artifacts club.

Here is is a bit more feedback:
https://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/a-few-more-thoughts-on.html

Quote:

Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
Total Posts: 6729
City/State: Sylvania OH
Featured Thread wins: 8 times
Received Likes: 4256

p.6 #6 · Steve Perry's take on the Z6, Z7 for Wildlife............not good.

James Farrell wrote:
While presently commited to the Olympus EM1-Mark 2 system, I remain interested in Nikon as a former long time user. What took me by surprise in your excellent video was a bullet point in one of your "presenation slides" that liested the Z6/Z6 electronic shutter sensor read time as 1/15 of a second. I am no technical expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me at present that is woefully slow for a new camera body compared to the OMD EM1 Mark 2 at 1/60 of a second (per Robin Wong) and Sony's A9 of 1/160 of a second. 1/15 of a second was the read time of the original OMD EM-1 6 years ago, a vitrual eternity in design time. Clearly 1/15 of a second is too slow for any kind of significant motion. Hard to understand why Nikon's new Z system body would be so slow.

I was sort of surprised it was that low too, although it's the same as the D850 which shares the base sensor.

Multi-quote · Like

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here is is a bit more feedback:
https://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/a-few-more-thoughts-on.html

Quote:

Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
Total Posts: 6729
City/State: Sylvania OH
Featured Thread wins: 8 times
Received Likes: 4256

p.6 #6 · Steve Perry's take on the Z6, Z7 for Wildlife............not good.

James Farrell wrote:
While presently commited to the Olympus EM1-Mark 2 system, I remain interested in Nikon as a former long time user. What took me by surprise in your excellent video was a bullet point in one of your "presenation slides" that liested the Z6/Z6 electronic shutter sensor read time as 1/15 of a second. I am no technical expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me at present that is woefully slow for a new camera body compared to the OMD EM1 Mark 2 at 1/60 of a second (per Robin Wong) and Sony's A9 of 1/160 of a second. 1/15 of a second was the read time of the original OMD EM-1 6 years ago, a vitrual eternity in design time. Clearly 1/15 of a second is too slow for any kind of significant motion. Hard to understand why Nikon's new Z system body would be so slow.

I was sort of surprised it was that low too, although it's the same as the D850 which shares the base sensor.

Multi-quote · Like

Interesting information. It seems to be the "industry standard" then (Sony standard, but since they are in realty the only sensor supplier...).