The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

V

Vivek

To those “ non lazy “ photographers: you can always turn off the IBIS, e shutter, silent shutter and all that. :cool:

rayyan

Jorgen, I search for my specs until someone tells me, I am wearing them.

I use my iPhone or Siri to remind me of things I am supposed to remember.

Just a little help from modern tech.

Best.

People don't remember birthdays anymore except for the closest family. It's the simplest of skills, remembering a few dates, but we're losing it.

V

Vivek

Good to know as that was going to be my question of the day. I have no need for IBIS.

Of course! It (turning off the IBIS) is particularly useful for wet cleaning tbe sensor. :)

PS: there is an airplane mode as well.

FWIW: There was a nice SNL skit from Dana Carvey about the good ol’ days. :)

Thorkil

That is not different from what DPReview wrote:
"The camera's in-body Vibration Reduction system can reduce shake by up to 5 stops and, when used with the optional F-mount adapter, provides 5-axis stabilization for VR-equipped lenses and 3-axis for those without VR."

Tim Carter does not mention how many axis are stabilized, only how many stops. DPReview writes "up to 5 stops". The argument is only about the number of axis stabilized.
...well, as long they provide us with up til 5 stops gain it dosn't matter with 3 or 5 axis (even thought I'm doubting about "axis") :cool:

Yes, to Jørgen, me too, have never used IBIS and hardly VR at all (got only one lens with VR as far as I remember). I'm just always doing about 3 times shutterspeed compared to focal-length, and am taking benefit from the wonderful iso-behavior from the Df (did I tell I like it :grin:).

Like Duff, perhaps one should avoid Ibis and Vr at all, if it is blurring the picture.
But on my Df with the 15-30 VC Tamron, that stabilization has given me very totally sharp pictures at 1/8 (okay it was at 15mm and 16Mp is perhaps not as demanding as 45Mp stable-wise). But if the VC in the Tamron is a sort rotating magnet just inside the outer shell, and rotated by electric power-field (I'm purely guessing), then I can understand if that stabilazation don't affect the picture. But moving sensors and/or lens-elements I don't get how this can be, without getting somewhat blurred pictures as Duff describes.
In my little head can a proper ideal stabilization only be an independent and rotating gyro-wheel, or two, to stabilize the entire unit, and therefore restrict small movements/shakes of the total unit as far as possible..

Last edited:

Elderly

2. It only really makes sense for certain professionals to have a camera with two slots - weddings for example where a failure just has to happen once to cause upset for the customer - a definite no-no. We never had anything like 'film failure' way back when so it's definitely a new thing to consider. Dual card slots doesn't affect me but it will others whose income (and credibility) may be more assured by having it.

Duff
We may not have had film failure, but I certainly had lab failure
on a number of occasions.

Thorkil

I do have a question: If one should choose betwen the Z7 45Mp and the Z6 with 24Mp, which one would you go for?, if:
we don't take the money question in account
if I dont need to print bigger than perhaps A2+
perhaps I don't often need to crop
Is it evident that higher Mp gives better IQ? I remember pictures from Godfrey and Bensogna with old Olympus 6Mp cameras (as far as I remember) with outstanding quality from these fat pixels.
But perhaps screens are very forgiving?
I remember the D800E as difficult to handle, sort of given shorter DOF, demanding higher shutterspeed, demanding more heavy stopping down to get the whole imagesurface in sufficient quality.
Therefore more tripod (which I do not intend) on a Z7 ? Gone is the free careless-fredom, hipshots and so?
Are the better microcontrasts that is seems to be in MF, mainly because of sensor size or resolution, or off course combined?
Ross Harvey seemed to be able to do careless pictures with splendid succes with the Z7 (perhaps saved by an effective IBIS) (Nikon Z7 Review | Destination Wedding Photographer), would his pictures be that clear with a Z6?
We have clever sharpening with C1 etc., that might be sufficient to get a Z6 to compete with the Z7 ? at the max. A2+ size
best thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do have a question: If one should choose betwen the Z7 45Mp and the Z6 with 24Mp, which one would you go for?, if:
Is it evident that higher Mp gives better IQ? I remember pictures from Godfrey and Bensogna with old Olympus 6Mp cameras (as far as I remember) with outstanding quality from these fat pixels.
I remember the D800E as difficult to handle, sort of given shorter DOF, demanding higher shutterspeed, demanding more heavy stopping down to get the whole imagesurface in sufficient quality.
Therefore more tripod (which I do not intend) on a Z7 ? Gone is the free careless-fredom, hipshots and so?
Are the better microcontrasts that is seems to be in MF, mainly because of sensor size or resolution, or off course combined?
Ross Harvey seemed to be able to do careless pictures with splendid succes with the Z7 (perhaps saved by an effective IBIS) (Nikon Z7 Review | Destination Wedding Photographer), would his pictures be that clear with a Z6?
We have clever sharpening with C1 etc., that might be sufficient to get a Z6 to compete with the Z7 ? at the max. A2+ size
best thorkil
For the moment I shoot solely with 20MP m43 and I have plenty of resolution for my purposes. Thus I would pretty much choose the Z6 over the Z7 as I do not require the higher res, the camera is cheaper and faster and also better suited for video.

But that's just my :cool:

V

Vivek

Simple answer, the 7.

I have 12mp, 24mp and 42mp FF cameras. The lowest count “fat pixel” camera is outdone by the latest BSI CMOS sensors.

The Z6’s 24 mp sensor is also a BSI CMOS sensor. It should be better than that of the D700’s though.

best thorkil

SrMphoto

How is setting up the second card complicated?

You generally set it up and leave the setting as is until you decide to change the characteristics... There’s not much complicated in telling the camera you want the second card to backup data, RAW to one and JPEG to the other, Stills to one and video to the other, or write until full across both cards.

There are three or four options in general on any camera that has 2 card slots in my experience. Seems like you’re making it sound more complicated than it generally is to make an argument that it was a good decision to leave the second card slot off.

<snip>
From latest DPReview Z7/a7rIII comparison:
"Though it's worth mentioning that Sony's confusing interface for setting up the dual card slots might make you wish it only had one card slot to begin with."

SrMphoto

best thorkil
When I am OK with 24Mp results, I use my Fuji system (except for wildlife photography, where I prefer DSLRs).
When I print, I typically do not need very high resolutions, unless I have to do a lot of cropping. However, it is a great joy to look at high-resolution files on the screen.
Z7 for me.

Thorkil

Thanks Vivek and SrM, but how carefull do you feel you need to be with 45Mp or which carelessness is necessary to avoid?

V

Vivek

Thorkil, Keep the IBIS on and shoot without care. :)

The tonality from the higher pixel count would be nicer.

SrMphoto

Thanks Vivek and SrM, but how carefull do you feel you need to be with 45Mp or which carelessness is necessary to avoid?
Don't worry too much. Vivek's IBIS suggestion is good, but many are using X1D (50mp, no IBIS, no VR lenses) handheld without any issues.

Thorkil

Thorkil, Keep the IBIS on and shoot without care. :)

The tonality from the higher pixel count would be nicer.
Ok...yes those colortones downunder from Ross Harvey's premodel Z7 of this couple here are just super-splendid (35/1.8 S):

but....then, I'm just still in love with the soft colors from my D4 sensor in my Df..... its not easy..:toocool: (but I keep it with all my Nikkor-lenses for sure)

and Ross Harvey's careless shot of a bird (35/1.8 S):

Sigh...... it's just so alarming splendid...
(and he claims its just OOC jpegs - but I guess there must have been set some in-camera-sharpening)

Last edited:

Lictor

From latest DPReview Z7/a7rIII comparison:
"Though it's worth mentioning that Sony's confusing interface for setting up the dual card slots might make you wish it only had one card slot to begin with."
I thought it was a good comparison putting Nikon in a really good light. They need to up the game on AF which will be quite easy for them, but otherwise they are bang on. Now I'm interested in the EVF since they applauded it so much.

For me, the viewfinder, haptics and ruggedness mean far more than two card slots, or longer buffer. Never managed to reach the end of buffer on D700 or Df.

The only thing I think they needed to do is make the design look less like other mirrorless cameras and more like D850 with more flowing lines coming up to the viewfinder.

Knorp

morning gentlemen, from Denmark, just a sideremark...its really nice to open the computer along with the first cup of morning-coffe and realize there has been full action all night here :), and now up for some work, while its still there...(further reading must wait)
(to Bart, hurry to preorder, else you have to wait several years....shall it be a 6 or 7?)
Boring work is calling for now....
Too late ... Nikon Z7 pre-order deliveries will be delayed for some buyers

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
best thorkil
- If your lenses can handle the high resolution
- If the low ISO is as good with the 45MP sensor
- If you don't do video
- If you don't do sports
- If money is not an issue

Choose the Z7.

In any other case, choose the Z6. It must be said though, that if you don't print larger than A2+, you probably won't see any difference unless you crop a lot.

J

JohnW

Other things being equal (or even unequal), I'd choose the one with no AA filter. So Z7.

John