The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

rayyan

I sincerely want Nikon to succeed with their Z series.
However, for me, it is too early to commit either way.

I shall wait. Hopefully before the services of the ‘ Pro funeral ‘ photographer are needed.

One thing in the review he got spot on...who cares about fast focus at a funeral?
The person ain’t going nowhere...at least not on planet earth! Hope not.

And the attendees at such events are generally not known to be the epitome of exuberance and fast activity.

Thorkil

Thanks - very helpful.

:thumbup:
Yes indeed! I'm no action man. And his word are just reassuring, convincing and encouraging. There seems no reason to fear the big ditch to fall into. I'm still in (if I can afford it.. :) )

Last edited:

Swissblad

My feeling is the Z7 is a bit like the D800....a great camera with a few (or more) quibbles which were ironed out in the D810 and brought to final fruition in the D850.....:cool:

My instinct is to wait for the 2nd generation.

Let's see what gives.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My feeling is the Z7 is a bit like the D800....a great camera with a few (or more) quibbles which were ironed out in the D810 and brought to final fruition in the D850.....:cool:

My instinct is to wait for the 2nd generation.

Let's see what gives.

You are exactly speaking from my heart. Had the D800E and while an excellent camera the flaws it had made it finally not enjoyable for me. The D810 was already almost perfect for me with the exception of video. I skipped the D850 as I started waiting for their FF offering.

Now that the Z7 is here I have same thoughts as you. I almost pulled the trigger to switch over to Nikon mirrorless last week, but something in me told me to wait. So here I am waiting for the next release of this camera, that will come pretty soon IMHO. And then also more native S lenses will be available, making it easier to jump fully into that system.

Photon42

Not sure if this is the right thread to put this - but here is a very honest review of the Nikon Z7 by Matt Granger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlRMpqpNKG4

I am still finding this camera VERY interesting despite it's flaws ....
Most points are valid, I think. Just that my Z7 does indeed directly USB-C charge with an Anker power bank. Only works with the new ("B") batteries, unfortunately. And Matt G did spell Hasselblad wrong (again, I think ...) :shocked:

He is essentially saying the Z7 has the best FF sensor, very good battery life, best ergonomics of all mirrorless cameras, great finder (but more laggy than an optical one ...), perfect weather sealing, great low light AF. But it is flawed due to the single card slot, the missing battery door lock, not-on-par AF-C (tracking) with the d850 and some USB-C issues, I can partly understand (power + charging) and partly not replicate.

So far, I came across two things I did not like. The missing aperture feeler on the FTZ adapter. And while this could be changed in a future model, knowing Nikon I think it will not happen. The other one is the Info button. If you press it to alter a config from the LCD monitor and have it white on black text, it is really too dim - and you cannot change it. I raised a defect with Nikon on this :clap:

Last edited:

Thorkil

A friend of mine just collected his Df at Nikon repair service, Copenhagen, after sensorcleaning, today, asked them about expected delivery on new Z7'es. They told him that because of a unexpected rush/demand all over the world on Z7, they expected deliverytime to be at lest half a year or so.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
A friend of mine just collected his Df at Nikon repair service, Copenhagen, after sensorcleaning, today, asked them about expected delivery on new Z7'es. They told him that because of a unexpected rush/demand all over the world on Z7, they expected deliverytime to be at lest half a year or so.
Interesting because my dealer had one for sale this week ....

Photon42

Interesting because my dealer had one for sale this week ....
Actually, I think that Nikon has quotas per region/country and it seems difficult to change them. That is also why the US still have the d850 backordered which can be had in Switzerland instantaneously.

Thorkil

Actually, I think that Nikon has quotas per region/country and it seems difficult to change them. That is also why the US still have the d850 backordered which can be had in Switzerland instantaneously.
Yes, I think thats the reason - a precalculation from the factory - that will never end up being totally spot on..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's hard not to notice how dpr continues to suggest that the Z7 is lacking in several ways, particularly with regards to AF, and I have been wondering what their motives and agenda are. Ming Thein apparently agrees, and came up with this comment after his very positive review of the camera:

"I have long lost respect for DPR. That site long ago degraded into clickbait and a home for trolls, not to mention relying on paid advertising from various camera companies to survive. Frankly, I question their objectivity. I’ve been using the camera without issues for paid client work for the last two weeks and don’t have any issues with it – perhaps they should actually use the camera for real photography and not test shots of hipsters with beards on bicycles. The bottom line is you can make the photos you want with it; the camera doesn’t hold you back. So you have to ask yourself – a) are they really photographers or equipment fetishists, and b) with every single thing they post, what is the motivation to generate a zillion posts with controversial titles other than trying to drive traffic and advertising revenue?"

Here's his very positive review (he has quit Hasselblad):

https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/09/29/2018-nikon-z7-24-70-review/

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's hard not to notice how dpr continues to suggest that the Z7 is lacking in several ways, particularly with regards to AF, and I have been wondering what their motives and agenda are. Ming Thein apparently agrees, and came up with this comment after his very positive review of the camera:

"I have long lost respect for DPR. That site long ago degraded into clickbait and a home for trolls, not to mention relying on paid advertising from various camera companies to survive. Frankly, I question their objectivity. I’ve been using the camera without issues for paid client work for the last two weeks and don’t have any issues with it – perhaps they should actually use the camera for real photography and not test shots of hipsters with beards on bicycles. The bottom line is you can make the photos you want with it; the camera doesn’t hold you back. So you have to ask yourself – a) are they really photographers or equipment fetishists, and b) with every single thing they post, what is the motivation to generate a zillion posts with controversial titles other than trying to drive traffic and advertising revenue?"

Here's his very positive review (he has quit Hasselblad):

https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/09/29/2018-nikon-z7-24-70-review/
I really like his reviews and posts and meanwhile I only very occasionally read the dpr reviews. I shot the Z7 with the 24-70 and the 35 S lenses and I also tried the 2.8/70-200 and although this is far away from a review or serious test I must admit that I was not disappointed by any means.

So I really question the dpr reviews meanwhile!

tcdeveau

While directed at DPR, I think MT’s comments apply to a lot of review sites and internet reviewers, and aren’t exclusive to DPR.

I certainly agree with the text in yellow. For my needs, I can get out what I need from just about any camera system that’s been released in the last few years, and I’d have a hard time calling myself a photographer if that werent the case. We’re spoiled to live in a time with so many capable systems across various price points IMHO, and I get tired of reading about what features system x or y “lack” (or this whole concept of “mirrorless wars” altogether) They’re all really good.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm seeing a "panic mode" being engaged by many of those who until recently have claimed that Nikon is a dinosaur and that their first full frame mirrorless will be generations behind the cameras from competitors like Sony and Fuji. All products launched by Nikon the last few years have indicated that Nikon is fully up to the game, and they confirmed that by launching two great photographic tool with excellent backwards compatibility. In addition to their technical excellence, they are also very precicely placed in the market, complementing Nikon's existing DSLR cameras in a great way. I think we'll see many photographers with D850/Z7, D750/Z6 and D500/Z6 or Z7 combos the next few years. The best of two worlds, from one supplier, fully compatible, even to a large degre with film bodies. None has done this better so far.

JohnBrew

Well, it's not for me. I'll struggle along with the D810 and really not think that I missed a significant upgrade. When I saw the adapter for the F lenses I thought of the Hasselblad X1D adapter for the H lenses - both ungainly and defeating the purpose of the body. IMO, if you want a Z7, you need the native lenses to take advantage of the concept. Which, is in essence, a changeover to an entirely new system. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur with the F system, but so be it.
The X1D was more interesting to me, but two things put me off - still don't like/trust EVF's and second, I contacted a Hasselblad dealer about trading in my CFV-50c on an X1D and all I got was an "I'll get back to you..." Which never happened.
My next new camera body has not broken ground. Yet. And hell, at my age I'll probably be able to shoot and enjoy the D810 and Df until I croak.