The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

tcdeveau

Well, it's not for me. I'll struggle along with the D810 and really not think that I missed a significant upgrade. When I saw the adapter for the F lenses I thought of the Hasselblad X1D adapter for the H lenses - both ungainly and defeating the purpose of the body. IMO, if you want a Z7, you need the native lenses to take advantage of the concept. Which, is in essence, a changeover to an entirely new system. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur with the F system, but so be it.
The X1D was more interesting to me, but two things put me off - still don't like/trust EVF's and second, I contacted a Hasselblad dealer about trading in my CFV-50c on an X1D and all I got was an "I'll get back to you..." Which never happened.
My next new camera body has not broken ground. Yet. And hell, at my age I'll probably be able to shoot and enjoy the D810 and Df until I croak.
The other thing about the mirrorless revolution is that is easy to forgot there’s no reason to switch if you don’t want to as long as the size/weight of a dSLR doesn’t bother you. The Df and D810 are still fine cameras, and there are plenty of enticing f-system lenses out there for which there are no true native mirrorless equivalents (105 f1.4, 200mm f2, for example - excluding the sigma 105 1.4 FE-Mount because it’s a monstrosity and not designed for mirrorless). My wife has hinted she’d rather be shooting with a D8xx than a Fuji X, so I’ll be looking for another D810 at some point, which I’ll buy second hand cheaper than a Z6 or Z7. Plus, with everyone switching to mirrorless, there are plenty of good deals on second-hand F-system bodies and lenses around :)

I definitely agree about the lenses for the Z system. I think the Z system (and Canon EOS R) will hit its stride/potential when the native lens lineup fills out (and possibly when the gen 2 bodies arrive). If a Z is ever in the cards for me, it will be at that point a few years from now.

Regarding the X1D, there was never a trade in program through Hasselblad, so it would’ve had to be through your dealer. I looked into trading my H4D-40 in this manner, and ultimately purchased the X1D outright. I still wish I could’ve bought your CFV-50c for my STC though :(

Photon42

Well, it's not for me. I'll struggle along with the D810 and really not think that I missed a significant upgrade. When I saw the adapter for the F lenses I thought of the Hasselblad X1D adapter for the H lenses - both ungainly and defeating the purpose of the body. IMO, if you want a Z7, you need the native lenses to take advantage of the concept. Which, is in essence, a changeover to an entirely new system. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur with the F system, but so be it.
The X1D was more interesting to me, but two things put me off - still don't like/trust EVF's and second, I contacted a Hasselblad dealer about trading in my CFV-50c on an X1D and all I got was an "I'll get back to you..." Which never happened.
My next new camera body has not broken ground. Yet. And hell, at my age I'll probably be able to shoot and enjoy the D810 and Df until I croak.
No pun intended :grin:

One comment on the adapter, though. Having the FTZ and played around with the X1D + adapter and my only HC lens (2.2/100), I appeared that most HC lenses require a firmware update, most likely due to contrast AF of the camera. No issue, you would think, just that this is not possible for all but the newest HC lenses, as the memory in the lens to hold the new FW is not large enough. So yes, you can use them, but no AF. Nikon did better here. My 58 for example works like a champ on the Z7.

Thorkil

..well, I just must admit, that the review from photographylife.com
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z7/4
is very encouraging
and specially the review of the 24-70/4S and 35/1.8S, where the kitlens totally outperform the else stellar FX 24-70/2.8E VR
with Imatest centervalues at f4 and 5.6 at 3.280 and 3.315 compared to the 2.8E VR at "only" 2.643 and 2.758 - that is actually rather impressive..
and the 35/1.8S is claimed to be the best tested lens ever at photographylife with values of 3.672, 3.517 and 3.177 at f2.8, f4 and f5.6,
where the nextbest till date, the Nikkor 28/1.4ED comes out at 3.524 at f2.8, 3.371 at f4 and 3.056 at f5.6.
and both at a very decent price where you dont get ripped off..
now just waiting for unpacking and getting these lenses out in fresh air when C1 comes updating...
(I'm also excited to see how the 15-30 Tamron behave on the Z7 - and cant wait for that little thing, the 14-30/4S that will be out soon in 2019)
..thorkil