The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Eyepiece Assembly Broke on my Nikon D810

Frankly

The entire rectangular plate holding the eyepiece fell off my D810 today. It looks like the plastic got cracked at the retaining screw some time ago and today gravity took its course. I’ve temporarily repaired it using a elastic hair tie.

Anyone have experience with this type of repair? I hesitate to send this body to Nikon as it has considerable cosmetic “repairables” like the covering and screens. Knowing that Nikon insists on repairing everything back to “like new” specifications as policy I’m afraid of spending more than the camera is worth.

Are there any good USA repair people who are more reasonable yet also competent with DSLRs? I only have experience with the good film guys like Bob Watson.

I have a second D810 body but maybe I’ll get a D850 and sell the nicer D810, reserving this one for battle duty (remote, night in the dew, windy days...) since the resale value is halved.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

jlancasterd

If the assembly is held in place solely by that one screw, I'd try removing the whole thing and using super glue to reunite the broken piece and the main assembly. I'd also wait a good hour or so before trying to reassemble it.