The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Figuring out the Nikon 58/1.4G

Frankly

I'm thinking about picking up this lens in spite of the mixed reviews. The last ~50mm I liked was the Zeiss Milvus, no complaints other than weight and being manual focus. I really want auto-focus and a little less metal and more plastic is OK by me.

But please, tell me that at f/5.6 the more expensive Nikkor will be just as good for landscape as the Milvus? Or not and save me the hassle.

I understand wide open that focusing may be hit or miss and I'm puzzled why they introduced the lens as a G rather than E model. (Maybe I have the introduction dates wrong and the E wasn't a thing yet.)

I'd probably do some wide open portraiture with it too but since you tend to center focus the majority of those shots I suspect it should be OK.

I've already tried the other 50mm Nikkors, every one since 1973. As well as the Sigma Art (+18 focus correction, lol).

I really wish Nikon would do some slower but well corrected primes in a pancake style, I'd have no problem living with a 50/2.8E for most things.

Photon42

I bought the lens some years back and still have it :grin: I have no idea whether it is as sharp as a Milvus, but I do have a 1.4 Nokton (Manual Focus), and I would think the Voigtländer and the Nikkor are comparable in terms of sharpness. My (adjusted) Nikkor is bang on at f 1.4. No sharpness/AF issues whatsoever. It comes with a lens shade, but with the recessed built the shade in my eyes is not really needed.

The internet does amplify negative and positive things. I remember me pondering about the 1.1/50 from Voigtländer for my old M9 - so many mixed reviews. Turns out to be a great lens (once properly adjusted).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The Nikon 58/1.4 was designed as a people lens . It has high resolution but medium contrast ....thus rendering skins tones in a pleasing aesthetic . Colors are somewhat softer and thus flattering to imperfections . Great lens for weddings ,events ,portraits etc where managing contrast can be important . A soft pleasing bokeh wide open makes this a very attractive lens . Stopping this lens down to 5.6 or smaller robs it of the character most buy it for....its becomes a excellent 50 but northing very special at smaller apertures .

Not a lens most would pick for landscape where higher contrast ,higher color saturation is often used to give the photograph some pop . Stick to Zeiss for landscape . You want to use LV for focus and smaller apertures to extend depth of field . If you expect those brilliant high lights and deep blue sky ...Zeiss is the way to go .

As a travel lens really depends on what aesthetic you prefer . You want brilliant fall foliage ...Zeiss....you want subtle winter fog ...maybe the Nikon .