The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800E - Is it possible to reset the frame counter?

Leigh

I just bought a "used" D800E in EXC+ condition.
The camera looks new.
I took a test shot, and the frame number is DSC_0001.

Is it possible to reset the frame number in the field, or
is this really a new camer?

TIA.

- Leigh

Darin Marcus

The number in the file name does not reflect the actual number of shutter actuations with the camera.
That number should be available in the EXIF info of any photo taken with the camera.

Darin Marcus

Hello Leigh,

The full answer is that yes, the user can reset the counter at will (menu d6 on my D810), or can have the counter reset every time the card is formatted.

The number of shutter actuations cannot be changed by the user - but if the shutter is replaced (for whatever reason) that number will be reset - if I am not mistaken.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Hi Leigh

On my D800E it was

MENU button >> Custom Settings Menu >> d5: File Number Sequence >> On / Off / Reset

And in my User Manual it was page 294 (the manual can be downloaded as a pdf file).

Enjoy your new camera, it's a fabulous machine :thumbup: (which I would still use were it not for the fact that a burglar stole it from me).

Leigh

Hello Leigh,

The full answer is that yes, the user can reset the counter at will (menu d6 on my D810), or can have the counter reset every time the card is formatted.

The number of shutter actuations cannot be changed by the user - but if the shutter is replaced (for whatever reason) that number will be reset - if I am not mistaken.
Thanks, Darin.

Hi Leigh

On my D800E it was

MENU button >> Custom Settings Menu >> d5: File Number Sequence >> On / Off / Reset

And in my User Manual it was page 294 (the manual can be downloaded as a pdf file).

Enjoy your new camera, it's a fabulous machine :thumbup: (which I would still use were it not for the fact that a burglar stole it from me).
Thanks, Steen.

This is my second D800E. I love this camera.

- Leigh