The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

i am so excited!! really

msadat

that the new Nikons don't make me go and get one. have a fair amount of nikon lens but at best these are sony a7 look-alikes.

V

Vivek

that the new Nikons don't make me go and get one. have a fair amount of nikon lens but at best these are sony a7 look-alikes.
I am excited as well for different reasons. Hopefully, Sony has a customer but also a competitor and change few things to improve their current line up.

msadat

what would be interesting to watch is the head to head competition, Nikon is rolling out a7 ii/iii cameras, sony is working on a7 iv/a9 ii cameras.

iiiNelson

what would be interesting to watch is the head to head competition, Nikon is rolling out a7 ii/iii cameras, sony is working on a7 iv/a9 ii cameras.
I think we are more likely to see the A7SIII and A9R/S next before generation 4 models being that the generation 3 cameras were released within the last year. There was 2.5 years between the A7RII & III and there was 3 years and 2 months between the A7II & III. Despite the rumors the cameras aren’t released as fast as some people think. The development process is taking longer now that Mirrorless is much more mature. I think Sony will have some surprises at Photokina and PhotoPlus this year... and maybe even another pre-Christmas surprise.

jduncan

Hi,

For me, yesterday announcement moves me inches of abandoning Nikon when I move to mirrorless (it will take a long time, for me the D850 continues to be the best camera for my needs). In "paper", Nikon did not set itself to build the best camera they could, they set out to have a copy of what Sony had before the A9.

Not happy with introducing past generation camera (sans the sensors that appear to be state of the art) they price it to match the current generation from Sony. They talked and talk about the new mount and the f0.95 and what we get is slow lenses and the promise of a MANUAL f0.95 lens. Nothing new there, Sony already have multiple manual lenses with f0.95 aperture.

They also introduced a 50mm f1.8 at $600. So much about the aperture. They even went with a single XQD slot (just as the old cameras from Sony and they are not even read the critiques).
I will wait to the release to make my mind, but it looks ugly for Nikon. Finally, they are not facilitating 3rd party lenses.

Best regards,

k-hawinkler

Kinda depends on how you look at it, personally I don’t think all camera buyers iare only striving to own a Sony camera....
PS there are better cameras out there!
Which ones? I was referring to mirrorless FF cameras only, in particular from Nikon and Sony. :facesmack:

Photon42

Probably because Sony doesn’t make Cameras as bad as some people think... but that’s another subject.
This is not the proper answer to the question. I would really like to see their (Nikon's) reasons for the main design decisions, the single card slot being maybe the most prominent one. Just size alone? But well - given Nikon's communication pattern, I doubt I will ever have the chance to get to the bottom of it.

iiiNelson

This is not the proper answer to the question. I would really like to see their (Nikon's) reasons for the main design decisions, the single card slot being maybe the most prominent one. Just size alone? But well - given Nikon's communication pattern, I doubt I will ever have the chance to get to the bottom of it.
I can understand how you feel that way and maybe I should’ve elaborated.

I don’t think Nikon feels they could top the Sony Mirrorless cameras at an equal price point... then there’s the idea of protecting the DSLR market - but of theyre saying Z mount is the future then maybe they should’ve truly made a D850 in a Mirrorless body because that camera would’ve at least been the equal. It’s rumored that the announced battery pack isn’t actually a grip that adds a shutter button like a typical battery grip would - it just holds an extra battery and if this turns out to be true then that’s another boneheaded move. It would seems portrait shooters would want the same functionality provided by a traditional battery grip.

Its the little things like that that that turn out to be head scratchers for me personally... the other thing is the excitement over the features that have been available on the market for years now but no need to revisit going through that rabbit hole.

I’m happy Nikon users get to experience a real Nikon Mirrorless camera system in a sense - but apart of me wants to see the camera not be as big of a commercial success as they hope because I want them to start over and do their best without concern for cannibalizing other cameras in their portfolio. So essentially I am saying I somewhat wish the camera “fails” in a sense but not the company. This is mostly because I feel they could’ve and should’ve done better. I actually wanted them to make me eat my words and surpass my expectations but they didn’t. Now Canon’s rumored camera is meeting my expectations as a real competitor to Sony but I expected that to be the case and this is a good thing. Panasonic May surprise us all and thisis an unforeseen good thing provided the camera is like a FF G/GH camera and adds OSPDAF to their DFD.

I would hope the CaNikon duopoly mindset would disappear from the minds of photographers because God knows (in general) I don’t want to deal with two uninspired companies racing to mediocrity. It took a Micro 4/3, Fujifilm, and Sony to completely shake the market up. No other way around that reality. If not for them we still be shooting out DSLR’s and maybe they wouldn’t even be as good as they’ve become without a large number of people moving to Mirrorless.

Bugleone

AiPrint......good luck in the future with Nikon! In case you all missed it this is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic....Phones are nearly there now and closing in on APS-C so 'photographers' are all going to use medium format now....that should sort out the leaders and cut the Sony's out of the game etc...