The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z Mount Lenses

iiiNelson

Just remembered, the Leica FF sensor has its parabolic microlens wizardry to 'straighten' the light path to the pixel and associated rejiggered pixel substructure to increase pixel size to allow its FF cameras to use both the M and R lenses without imperfections creeping in. If Nikon follows that route then I guess it's possible they could fit a larger sensor with no need for correction software. :toocool:

Cheers,
Duff
Yeah and I think software corrections are getting better by the year. Many of the Micro 4/3 software corrections are quite good though it is a smaller sensor.

I was halfway hoping that Nikon (and Canon) would go all out and make their mirrorless systems medium format. Their DSLR's are already fine as they are and by going "upmarket" they wouldn't have to worry about the constraints of direct cannibalization. Also they could still produce an adapter and have a 35mm crop mode while they built out a lens lineup - that they have to do anyway.

doug

Yeah and I think software corrections are getting better by the year. Many of the Micro 4/3 software corrections are quite good though it is a smaller sensor.

I was halfway hoping that Nikon (and Canon) would go all out and make their mirrorless systems medium format. Their DSLR's are already fine as they are and by going "upmarket" they wouldn't have to worry about the constraints of direct cannibalization. Also they could still produce an adapter and have a 35mm crop mode while they built out a lens lineup - that they have to do anyway.
Avoiding cannibalization of your company's existing product line is a sure-fire way to long-term loss of market share. Either cannibalize old product with new or someone else will do it for you.

Duff photographer

Avoiding cannibalization of your company's existing product line is a sure-fire way to long-term loss of market share. Either cannibalize old product with new or someone else will do it for you.
Exactly. The only reason now that I use Nikon bodies is their telephotos (and the ability to create some Heath Robinson macro set-ups). It would have been incredibly short-sighted of Nikon not to supply the FTZ adapter.

I can't see Nikon ever foresaking its F-mount lenses but if they did then I'd have to look at manufacturers that not only support their own legacy lenses but (with regard to the Leica S) also proactively support those of others.

Duff

Duff photographer

There is only so much you can do with software. For example, as someone who also uses large format, I have seen some terrible attempts to mimic the movements of LF via software. While some digital corrections (as opposed to adjustments) are very good, many aren't and ultimately you cannot improve or correct what isn't there. Any improvements would have to be to the hardware, the route Leica have taken.

...and as Doug has said, cannabalisation is good so can't see that going away (I hope).

Duff

iiiNelson

I agree but we can look at cannibalization a couple of different ways - a company replacing existing products with improved ones in the same direct market or cannibalization which is in traditional sense for example Sony moving to the E-mount over the failing A-mount for future proofing reasons without regard for the success of E-mount eventually meaning the death of A-mount. We can look at it as a state of protectional decision in a sense to protect the idea of heritage for example Porsche downrating the engines they place into the Cayman so it doesn’t outperform the 911.

The natural positiom for the Z isnthat it should and eventually will likely be upmarket from F-mount cameras but maybe Nikon doesn’t want to “upset” current customers though I suspect many would get over if the Z7 outperformed the D850 too.

iiiNelson

There is only so much you can do with software. For example, as someone who also uses large format, I have seen some terrible attempts to mimic the movements of LF via software. While some digital corrections (as opposed to adjustments) are very good, many aren't and ultimately you cannot improve or correct what isn't there. Any improvements would have to be to the hardware, the route Leica have taken.

...and as Doug has said, cannabalisation is good so can't see that going away (I hope).

Duff
As far as T/S lenses today I agree 100% with you but computational computing is eventually going to be the future in photography - whether we like it or not. It’ll improve (like most technological advancements) to the point where all but the most avid photographers that demand to get it 100% right in camera will be satisfied enough to make a judgement call on whether it’s worth spending money for a lens you may not actually need in your bag.

Darin Marcus

Today I attended the Nikon Z Launch Event at my local camera store. A few people got there before the official start time, and more came in while I was there, so I had to wait a little to get my hands on a Z7 with the 24-70 S, and could not spend too much time with it. I preordered the Z6 with this lens so I was more curious about the lens than about the Z7 :)

The lens feels well put together and is quite compact when collapsed (it is about as long as the 35mm f/1.8 S). It balances well on the Z7. When fully extended it is a little less than twice as long.

The collapse mechanism is different from Nikkor 1 lenses, which have a button that you press while rotating the zoom ring a little to unlock the lens. On the 24-70 f/4 S there is no button, and you turn the zoom ring a little to get from the “parked” position to the 24mm mark in order to unlock the lens. The zoom ring is pretty stiff during this part, and there is a click when the 24mm mark is reached. After that, the zoom rotates more easily to the 70mm mark. Just like with Nikon 1, you cannot take photos until you unlock the lens.

The lens has a duocam design, which had me a little worried, but there is no wobbling (I even tried to gently push it around from the filter thread area - there was no movement) and no zoom creep when I pointed the lens down). It seems to have a solid build, and it is weather sealed.

Not much to add about the camera. The Z7 I played with had firmware version 1.0. The card slot was taped over. The grip is comfortable, maybe not as good as the D810 but very close. The EVF is very nice, but still looks like an EVF :). Refresh rate is very good - I panned the camera rapidly from one side to the other repeatedly and there was no hiccup - same for the back LCD. There is a setting for viewfinder brightness (auto / manual).

I did not try AFC, but the AFS was quick and reliable in the low light environment of the camera store (I zoomed in on the LCD to confirm the images were in focus) - auto iso went to 2000. There is a setting for low light AF which I turned on.

I asked the Nikon rep a few questions but I got no good answers:

- Will we be able to update S lens firmware like we can with the Nikkor 1 lenses? He did not know if this will be possible but said the S lenses are manufactured to such high standards that firmware updates will not be necessary.

- When will the Nikon branded XQD cards be available in the US? He replied that there is no such thing - just something invented by NikonRumors. I replied that the press release for these cards is available on the Nikon Image Japan web site…
Will these cards not be available in the US, or is it just a miscommunication between Nikon Japan and Nikon USA? We don’t know yet…. I wanted to ask about the possibility of Nikon branded CFexpress cards, but it made no sense after that.

- When will the Z cameras get the firmware update for CFexpress cards? He did not know. He also had no idea when the first CFexpress cards will go on sale.

To conclude - I am still looking forward to getting my Z6 + kit lens in November.