The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z Mount Lenses

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Plenty discussed about the new Nikon Mirrorless cameras . The market foremost will be existing Nikon users and their are plenty . Consider the time before Sony .....Nikon had 40% of the ILC market for decades . These were primarily DSLR systems . Plenty of photographers identify with Nikon as their brand of choice . Most don t change their systems with every new model release . Nor should they as the gains are often slower than the marketing hype . Up until now a Nikon user had to switch systems to move to mirrorless ..and many did because they wanted a mirrorless alternative (smaller /lighter /new EVF features etc).

My personal bias as a long time Leica /Nikon user is that I want my lens kit to be native to the mount . Size should be proportionate to the lens and body (don t want a 600/4 Nikon attached to a Sony A7 ). Large 24-xx zooms that dwarf the body size don t interest me and the idea of a 70-200 /2.8 zoom doesn t register . For those applications a modern DSLR feels more appropriate . I will occasionally lose track of all rationale thought and go with a beast of a lens just for the image quality and aesthetic it produces (Zeiss OTUS e.g.).

Nikon has established an excellent (IMHO) rollout strategy for the new Z lenses ....20/35/50/85 ..1.8 primes within a year will completely cover my requirements. Longer telephotos and that 70-200/2.8 zoom will stick with the DSLR bodies . I will buy the 0.95 /50 NOCT but then I am not a rationale buyer .

Diglloyd has some nice thoughts on the new Z Nikkors based solely on Nikon s press release ...high quality 1.8 primes has been his recommendation for a long time . The lenses are not pancake small ....and the design objectives look to be on very high image quality and keeping prices low (which is easier in a 1.8 specification than the 1.4 F primes ) . The new mount and the closer positioning of the rear elements seem to have opened up the design constraints .

While I totally don t get it ....there is some debate about the light transmission of the 1.8 Z lenses being quite close to the F mount 1.4 ..not that should matter much .

Nikon has the ability to produce best in class lenses in any format ....you can bet the MTF scores will be strong ...it will be the aesthetics that matter most in my scoring .

This should be the MOST IMPORTANT criteria for evaluating the Z class Nikon s . And it will be a while before decent tests will be available . Until then we can bitch about the lack of multiple card support .

Lictor

Plenty discussed about the new Nikon Mirrorless cameras . The market foremost will be existing Nikon users and their are plenty . Consider the time before Sony .....Nikon had 40% of the ILC market for decades . These were primarily DSLR systems . Plenty of photographers identify with Nikon as their brand of choice . Most don t change their systems with every new model release . Nor should they as the gains are often slower than the marketing hype . Up until now a Nikon user had to switch systems to move to mirrorless ..and many did because they wanted a mirrorless alternative (smaller /lighter /new EVF features etc).

My personal bias as a long time Leica /Nikon user is that I want my lens kit to be native to the mount . Size should be proportionate to the lens and body (don t want a 600/4 Nikon attached to a Sony A7 ). Large 24-xx zooms that dwarf the body size don t interest me and the idea of a 70-200 /2.8 zoom doesn t register . For those applications a modern DSLR feels more appropriate . I will occasionally lose track of all rationale thought and go with a beast of a lens just for the image quality and aesthetic it produces (Zeiss OTUS e.g.).

Nikon has established an excellent (IMHO) rollout strategy for the new Z lenses ....20/35/50/85 ..1.8 primes within a year will completely cover my requirements. Longer telephotos and that 70-200/2.8 zoom will stick with the DSLR bodies . I will buy the 0.95 /50 NOCT but then I am not a rationale buyer .

Diglloyd has some nice thoughts on the new Z Nikkors based solely on Nikon s press release ...high quality 1.8 primes has been his recommendation for a long time . The lenses are not pancake small ....and the design objectives look to be on very high image quality and keeping prices low (which is easier in a 1.8 specification than the 1.4 F primes ) . The new mount and the closer positioning of the rear elements seem to have opened up the design constraints .

While I totally don t get it ....there is some debate about the light transmission of the 1.8 Z lenses being quite close to the F mount 1.4 ..not that should matter much .

Nikon has the ability to produce best in class lenses in any format ....you can bet the MTF scores will be strong ...it will be the aesthetics that matter most in my scoring .

This should be the MOST IMPORTANT criteria for evaluating the Z class Nikon s . And it will be a while before decent tests will be available . Until then we can bitch about the lack of multiple card support .
What I'm now contemplating, since I've been looking at those sweet Tamron stabilized primes, the 35 and 85, is what gain do you have in size and weight with a Z6 with Z mount glass vs a Df with the two Tamrons.

V

Vivek

The f/1.8 = f/1.4 is a faux pas from the marketing department. They are totally fly by wire and modern.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
What I'm now contemplating, since I've been looking at those sweet Tamron stabilized primes, the 35 and 85, is what gain do you have in size and weight with a Z6 with Z mount glass vs a Df with the two Tamrons.
Size and weight differences between Df and Z will be insignificant . Sensor performance differences will be more a preference decision ...some will prefer the Df sensor ..some Z6 . Would be surprised if the new Z lenses outperform the new Tamrons sufficiently to make a difference . The aesthetics produced by the lenses (bokeh for example ) will be different . The bodies will handle differently and of course EVF is quite different from OVF .

Now if you were considering the Z7 you could obtain a relevant (to many )improvement in IQ ..at a much higher cost .

DougDolde

I agree that using native lenses is the only way to go. I mean Z mount lenses not an adapted F mount lens. Otherwise why bother keep your F mount body

tcdeveau

The MTFs of the new Z lenses look pretty good. Forgot where I saw them. It seems from the initial reports that they are pretty darn sharp too. The roadmap looks pretty aggressive and I think will make a lot of ppl happy.

From those that I talked to that have actually used the camera, it seems existing F-mount lenses (at least the G and newer) work exactly as they do on the dSLR bodies, providing a pretty seamless experience of using the lens on a dSLR and the Z body with the FTZ adapter. I much prefer using native versus others with an adapter too for a variety of reasons, but for those that have existing lenses that won't be availablte for Z-mount anytime soon (like the 58mm 1.4, 105 1.4, 200mm f2, 200-500mm, 180-400mm, etc), it sounds like there won't be any issue using those lenses.

I was pretty excited about the 58mm 0.95, but after seeing the bulk and knowing that it's going to be manual-focus only and will most likely cost a lot more than initially thought, I got a lot less excited about it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I read there will be a 58mm f0.95 Z lens in the near future --- https://petapixel.com/2018/08/23/this-is-the-nikon-z-58mm-f-0-95-noct-ultimate-lens/ If so ,-- or more accurately WHEN it's so -- that could be the final incentive to push me over the line. For my needs, I would get the Z7 and two primes, the 28 and that 58 if available. (Yes, it's huge, but...)

Obviously, if you're already a legacy Nikon shooter like I am, you have lenses for the legacy system; and I see no reason not to own an adapter that allows for cross use on the new body -- so of course, that adapter will be part of the system :D

But it means I also may sell some of my older legacy lenses that 1) I don't regularly use and 2) won't integrate with the Z.

Here are lenses that prolly will go

due to incompatibility: 180/2.8, 105 DC, 28/1.4 original ASPH
due to limited use: 24-70/2.8G, 70-200/4 VR-G, 24/1.4 ART

Question is do I sell them now so I'm primed for the new stuff? I think so....

Last edited:

Thorkil

I read there will be a 58mm f0.95 Z lens in the near future --- https://petapixel.com/2018/08/23/this-is-the-nikon-z-58mm-f-0-95-noct-ultimate-lens/ If so ,-- or more accurately WHEN it's so -- that could be the final incentive to push me over the line. For my needs, I would get the Z7 and two primes, the 28 and that 58 if available. (Yes, it's huge, but...)

Obviously, if you're already a legacy Nikon shooter like I am, you have lenses for the legacy system; and I see no reason not to own an adapter that allows for cross use on the new body -- so of course, that adapter will be part of the system :D

But it means I also may sell some of my older legacy lenses that 1) I don't regularly use and 2) won't integrate with the Z.

Here are lenses that prolly will go

due to incompatibility: 180/2.8, 105 DC, 28/1.4 original ASPH
due to limited use: 24-70/2.8G, 70-200/4 VR-G, 24/1.4 ART

Question is do I sell them now so I'm primed for the new stuff? I think so....
Jack, then you just have to wait until 2019 for the Noct. But its manual focus and huge.
https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/1176872996/Nikon_Z_Lens_Roadmap.png
do you consider the IQ gain from 24 to 45 Mp to be so crucial, that its worth sacrificing high iso and fat pixels, and instead be needing more carefulness (but the IBIS will help) ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, then you just have to wait until 2019 for the Noct. But its manual focus and huge.
https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/1176872996/Nikon_Z_Lens_Roadmap.png
do you consider the IQ gain from 24 to 45 Mp to be so crucial, that its worth sacrificing high iso and fat pixels, and instead be needing more carefulness (but the IBIS will help) ?
Focus assist and all :) -- but yes I understand, so not a done deal.

Z6 v Z7 is also somewhat of a conundrum for me. The main reason I'd use the Z is for street and travel type work, and higher ISO is a benefit for night street. OTOH, IBIS is huge for static scene, low light travel images. End of day, my D810 is already plenty adequate ISO-wise, so I'd suspect the Z7 would be too. Plus a little noise doesn't bother me, and if of good character it often adds a sort of pleasing "je ne se quoi" to that style of image as well...

Darin Marcus

I was in the DSLR camp, but the possibilities opened by the new Z mount made me change my mind.
Preordered with the kit lens.

There is enough time (until the end of November) for Nikon to improve the firmware :)
Hopefully by then the first CFexpress cards will also be available.

rayyan

The Z 6/7 has one card slot:shocked:

No bitch. Fact.
No amount of barking, howling and snorting can change that FACT. Maybe in the next iteration.

This from a very longtime Nikon/Leica user. Me.

Lictor

Size and weight differences between Df and Z will be insignificant . Sensor performance differences will be more a preference decision ...some will prefer the Df sensor ..some Z6 . Would be surprised if the new Z lenses outperform the new Tamrons sufficiently to make a difference .
Those MTF curves of 1.8 primes, although theoretical, look . But that could be the only benefit. Size-wise both are the same, and IBIS didn't make the lenses smaller

Darin Marcus

The Z 6/7 has one card slot:shocked:

No bitch. Fact.
No amount of barking, howling and snorting can change that FACT. Maybe in the next iteration.

This from a very longtime Nikon/Leica user. Me.
A quick browsing of your recent posts here shows that you took photos with a Nikon Df, a Nikon D700, a Fujifilm X100S and some Leica Ms. Do you still own these camera, or have you sold them all because they each have only one card slot?

As for me, I shot with a D40 and a D700, and currently have a J5 and a Df - all with only one card slot - and a D810 on which I only use the CF slot when shooting. I don’t care one bit that the Z6 has only one card slot. I am really looking forward to trying CFexpress cards!

DougDolde

Can't see it with my fairly new D850 and three primes I feel fairly complete. 20mm Zeiss, 28mm Nikon, 85mm Nikon

I always have shot with just 3 or 4 lenses even since 4x5 film days

No complaints with the D850 its pretty amazing and only inferior to medium format digital in resolution. Everything else is better. 45 megapixels is plenty

Photon42

A quick browsing of your recent posts here shows that you took photos with a Nikon Df, a Nikon D700, a Fujifilm X100S and some Leica Ms. Do you still own these camera, or have you sold them all because they each have only one card slot?

As for me, I shot with a D40 and a D700, and currently have a J5 and a Df - all with only one card slot - and a D810 on which I only use the CF slot when shooting. I don’t care one bit that the Z6 has only one card slot. I am really looking forward to trying CFexpress cards!
Probably a bit argumentative. Leica Ms are dancing to a different drummer, and the D40 is not exactly state of the art anymore.

My personal requirements do not have a second slot anywhere near the top five important features. However, The initial reception of the Z's would have been much better with taking care of Eye-AF, battery rating and a second card slot. That is a fact. Whether that will matter for most we will see in a couple of months. Whether it matters for yourself, only you can answer.

My two cents are that I think Nikon will sell these cameras well enough and will bring a Z8/9 later. I was already clear, that they will bring a mirrorless system, when the d850 was announced. The difference between the 810 and the 850 was clearly smaller than between the 850 and the Z7 (I am not saying better or worse), and even then the 850 is selling very well.
Nikons most important statement is that they are actually there with a system and this system will be the future of Nikon. I like the lens mount a lot, and this really an important factor.

rayyan

Browse again friend!

Yes, I still own all of them.
I have film cameras too.
I have Fujis too.

The last acquisition was a Fuji XH-1
Before that one a Fuji Xpro-2.

Notice something? Or it escapes you?

As I said browse again friend.

You buy what you want. I shall probably buy and use what I choose.

As I said, browse my posted images again.

Darin Marcus

Probably a bit argumentative.
Thanks! I contribute arguments, not verdicts :D

Leica Ms are dancing to a different drummer, and the D40 is not exactly state of the art anymore.
The only reason for mentioning the D40 was to show that from my first DSLR and to my very last I only used 1 card slot when taking photos.

My personal requirements do not have a second slot anywhere near the top five important features. However, The initial reception of the Z's would have been much better with taking care of Eye-AF, battery rating and a second card slot. That is a fact.
I don't see that as a fact. For example, adding a second XQD/CFexpress slot could make the camera/grip larger and thus less well received by many. Using 2 SD slots instead of one XQD/CFexpress could reduce the speed of saving files to card and negatively impact the video features of the cameras. I am very interested in the video capabilities of the Z6.

The battery rating issue is not settled yet - actual users report a much better battery performance than the stated CIPA rating. I appreciate the fact that I can share batteries between my D810 and the upcoming Z6.

As for Eye-AF, I have no preference here - photographing portraits with sharp eyelashes and blurry noses is not my thing :D
I believe that this can be added later on with a firmware update, as the hardware support is already there. I am not the only one that thinks this release was a bit rushed - Nikon could further improve he cameras through firmware updates and I think they should.

But enough about the cameras, this is a lens thread:)

Nikons most important statement is that they are actually there with a system and this system will be the future of Nikon. I like the lens mount a lot, and this really an important factor.
I was already burned by Nikon with their previous mirrorless system. Thankfully the stakes are now much higher, and the Z will definitely be a different story. As Thom Hogan (and others) noted, Nikon is at heart an optics company, and I have high hopes for the new mount. But I will test the new offerings hands-on, and decide for myself no matter what anybody else says online.

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

Browse again friend!

Yes, I still own all of them.
I have film cameras too.
I have Fujis too.

The last acquisition was a Fuji XH-1
Before that one a Fuji Xpro-2.

Notice something? Or it escapes you?

As I said browse again friend.

You buy what you want. I shall probably buy and use what I choose.

As I said, browse my posted images again.
Hello rayyan,

The first thing I notice (with no browsing needed) is that you are complaining about a camera issue (missing second card slot) in a thread about the Z mount lenses. A little browsing shows that you have already complained about this issue in the mirrorless thread. This lens thread will still be relevant with future Z cameras, some of which may have 2 card slots. So why go off topic with the card slot issue here?

I have no interest in telling you what to buy and what to use. Likewise, other people's complaints about the Z cameras will not influence me one bit as long as I tested them hands-on and found that they work well for me.

I also have no interest in Fujifilm cameras so I will not follow your posts in that forum. I too owned an X100S, and found that X-TRANS does not work at all for me. I sold it and got a Df instead - for the retro controls and shooting experience (not to mention the sensor...).

Anyway, this is the last time I will discuss camera issues in this lens thread.