The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Optimal SD for Nikon 850?

Frankly

Am I correct in assuming the D850 will shoot its fastest if I leave the SD slot empty and only use the XQD card?

Second best solution is to get one of the newer most expensive UHS-II SD cards with 300mb/s write speed like the Sony SF-G UHS-II SDXC? Which are as nearly as expensive as the XQD cards. $450 for two 128gb cards is pretty obnoxious.

But if I only want to use the SD slot for backup and use one of my older 100mb/s SD cards am I going to hit a speed barrier, especially with sports type shooting?

(And yes I just ordered a D850 because one of my older bodies needed repairs.)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Great question ....I believe you are correct ...when using two cards the D850 will be limited by the slower card . But the critical question is what speed card (write speed ) is required to hit the maximum frames per second . I believe you have just the Sony and the Sandisk 300 cards as options .

No question just one XQD card will be fastest and represents a very low chance of failure . Writing to two cards will always be slower ...but the cards may be faster than the camera can push the data . The battery grip may be more important to FPS than the card choice .

Am interested in what you find .