The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D810 or Nikon Z6

rollsman44

I don't need anymore than 24MP . The 810 is a higher Mp camera and so is the Z7 With that in mind any suggestions as to which one to consider. Also, it is to soon to know how the image quality is with the NEW Z lenses
I am considering a Zoom ( new one on the X Z6) I do mainly Portraits and Group shots so Skin tones are important to me. Thank you

Darin Marcus

I can’t give you a full answer but I can tell you the following:

- there may not be a significant difference in skin tones between the D810 and the Z6/7

- the D810 is a known entity, with great dynamic range, enough resolution for group shots, ISO 64 (also available with the Z7, not with the Z6), cheaper than the Z7, available now

- the Z6 will start shipping in late November, and will probably be on back-order for some time; with the FTZ adapter all the great F portrait lenses will work well on the Z6; the Z6 is cheaper than a new D810

- while the F and the Z systems will exist in parallel for some time, the future belongs to Z; there will most likely be even greater Z portrait lenses in the future

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The D810 will probably be the last DSLR that I buy. It's in my view the best one anybody ever made, and it will remain in that position. So, I would buy a D810 now, and then, in a couple of years, buy a Z-camera too, but keep the D810. It's a different experience.

PS. I'd add an F6 too, but that's me :angel: :ROTFL:

jdphoto

The FTZ adapter adds a bit of bulk, so imo, i'd wait for at least one native prime portrait lens longer than 50mm.

Last edited: