The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I just handled a Z7 at a shop in CT

DougDolde

Several landscape photographers on YouTube have dropped their D850 for a Z7.
Reasons mostly deal with a lighter weight camera though some prefer (and some don't) the EVF.

The biggest issue I would have with switching would be the cost of course but also the current scarcity of native Z mount primes. Using an adapter is a kludge I'd avoid

Reasons mostly deal with a lighter weight camera though some prefer (and some don't) the EVF.

The biggest issue I would have with switching would be the cost of course but also the current scarcity of native Z mount primes. Using an adapter is a kludge I'd avoid
You may get some minor weight savings (factor in the adapter) and a preference for an EVF, but image quality will be the same so I don't see the impetus to switch. Maybe when they flesh out the new lens line there will be a compelling reason to switch, or not. I'd chalk it up to camera changitis, which is a necessary trait if you want to make new YouTube videos. Nobody is going to watch a video about how the Z7 didn't offer much, if any, improvement in your image making ability, and you're sticking with what you have.

tcdeveau

In general, for landscape I find I prefer EVFs when using heavy ND filtration (OVFs are worthless when using 10 stop plus ND filters), but OVFs when using polarizers or grad NDs. DR of sensors is so good now a days though that there's really no reason to use grad NDs anymore for most of the typical use cases, and one can just expose for the highlights and develop for the shadows. I'm also rarely shooting in light these days where a polarizer makes a lick of a difference (except for getting rid of reflection on water surfaces).

The weight change is a huge deal. With my MF kit, I went from a H4D-40 to 645z to X1D, and the smaller size/weight of the X1D is a game changer. Supposedly it's also easier to design smaller higher quality lenses for mirrorless than dSLR-style cameras. I've been using mirrorless 35mm cams for awhile now (A7R/A7RII/X-E3/X-T1), and forget how easy it is to hand hold all day and how portable they are. Last time I shot a wedding, I rented a D800 and 70-200 2.8 and my arms were sore for days afterwards. Not so much with a mirrorless setup. I just picked up a used D800 for my wife because she missed shooting with a dSLR. I missed it too out of nostalgia, but after playing around with it more, I think my preference at the end of the day is mirrorless. Another advantage of mirrorless is on-sensor AF. The Z7 has way more AF points distributed across the entire sensor than the D800 (and probably D850).

If I were you, I'd just stick with what you've got. You seem to enjoy the D850 and there's not much sense in selling it and taking a loss to switch to a system that doesn't have a complete native lens lineup yet which you desire.

Back to the Z7, I liked what I saw in the Z7, but I'm waiting until they've got more lenses out too. I'm already playing the "what is the pricing/availability of roadmapped lenses, and when will they actually get in my hands" game regarding lenses I want/need for the X1D, and have zero desire to do the same with another system. Happy to keep using the Fuji X-system and my wife's D800 for now, at least until the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 are out and in stock at retailers.

tcdeveau

I'd chalk it up to camera changitis.
Haha I like this term! I was talking to a dealer earlier in the week who was describing how we feel the need to change and switch it up just because other people are doing so, and i think "camera changitis" would accurately describe that feeling/phenomena

Supposedly it's also easier to design smaller higher quality lenses for mirrorless than dSLR-style cameras.
Supposedly you can, but I am not seeing smaller lenses being introduced. Like Yogi Berra said: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

tcdeveau

Supposedly you can, but I am not seeing smaller lenses being introduced. Like Yogi Berra said: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Good point. They do seem to actually be getting bigger (esp the Nikon S and Canon EOS R lenses). The 18mm Batis and 55mm FE 1.8 I had for the Sony were pretty small and compact relative to their dSLR counterparts though, and the XCD lenses I have for the X1D are smaller than their H-series equivalents.