The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best USA CLA for Nikon that is not NikonUSA?

Frankly

Just got a camera back from a CLA with a faulty shutter release, it was reassembled wrong and not properly tested. They're making good on this but until I get the body back and test it thoroughly I'm gun-shy about using this service again.

Also I don't want to send my cameras to Nikon USA where they tend to find cosmetic or extra things to repair and charge top dollar for it.

What I want is a middle of the road competent and reliable CLA service for modern Nikon DSLRs. If you guys dare to take a break from online fisticuffs and jousting over vaporous new camera models perhaps you might share your experiences and recommendations?

Sorry to be mundane and practical. I think the Nikon Z7 mints Bitcoin better than Sony. Happy?

Thank you

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

So nobody has ever gotten their camera dirty by using it?

crickets....
Hello Frankly, I am sorry but I don’t have any useful information for you.

I had a D700 serviced once, for dirty sensor, at a company in Washington DC. That was before Nikon stopped supplying parts to independent companies. They did a great job of cleaning the entire camera and even did some checking/recalibration for free.
That company no longer exists...

Other than that, I had a Nikkor 1 10-30mm serviced for free by Nikon Melville, but that was part of a service advisory. It came back properly fixed and cleaned.

V

Vivek

Sorry to be mundane and practical. I think the Nikon Z7 mints Bitcoin better than Sony. Happy?
If you are handy with fixing stuff, switch to Sony (otherwise , no). You can buy their parts directly from them. You can find repair manuals online for a few $. You are all set. Before reassembly, you can do a CLA with simple household stuff.

I am being practical and speak from personal experience.

Frankly

Try Precision Camera in the Chicago area. They have a pretty good reputation.

Joe
I actually designed and wrote much of their website (first generation). For years they specialized in professional analog cameras (no woodworking! Arca, Linhof, Noblex are their specialties).

But your comment prompted me to look and now they offer sensor cleaning. No repairs but I do trust them, Bob and his crew are the best, period.

Sorry @Vivek no Sony product will ever cross my threshold, once burnt and forever shunned, they can not restore my trust. I'd rather switch to Canon or draw with charcoal.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Digital or analogue? I’ve had great results with Associate Camera Repair in Portland for analog lenses and bodies. I’m sure that they could assist with bodies.

I’ve also had good experience with Precision Camera albeit for my Arca head. They seemed very professional and reputable in my case. I can’t vouch for Nikon digital cameras though.

Of course, there’s always Nikon ...

Frankly

Digital or analogue? I’ve had great results with Associate Camera Repair in Portland for analog lenses and bodies. I’m sure that they could assist with bodies.

I’ve also had good experience with Precision Camera albeit for my Arca head. They seemed very professional and reputable in my case. I can’t vouch for Nikon digital cameras though.

Of course, there’s always Nikon ...
Original question was for DSLRs. And yes while Precision will undoubtedly be excellent as they start to do more digital service, I'd still like to find a competent full service repair and CLA for modern DSLRs.

I have used CRIS in Arizona, their initial CLA and repair was reasonably priced and they have a good website and communications system, but I had a problem with the camera immediately on return which could be coincidence but I doubt it. Waiting to see what they say in response, the body is currently at their shop being evaluated.

Leigh

If your requirement is really only for a CLA, any competent shop could do it.

But as has already been mentioned, Nikon no longer sells parts for any camera to anybody.
If your gear needs anything, it must go to NikonUSA for repair.
That poses a real problem if the issue is found after the camera is disassembled for the CLA.

I was a service tech for an independent Nikon-only shop in Washington DC, and I did some
service work on my own after that shop closed. I no longer service other peoples' gear.

- Leigh

Oren Grad

But as has already been mentioned, Nikon no longer sells parts for any camera to anybody.
This is not quite correct. They have a network of authorized independent service providers; you can find ones that service various models using the tool on this page:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/nikon-authorized-repair-list.page

For example, if you enter "D810" you'll get a list of 16 Nikon-authorized independent service shops around the country.

I think the issue was that Nikon imposed steep requirements for investment in instrumentation and training in order to remain an authorized shop, so many shops decided it no longer made economic sense and dropped out. But Nikon continues to provide parts to the qualifying authorized sites.

After getting lots of complaints, they also did go back to selling a range of external parts to anyone. You can browse the available parts from here:

https://parts.nikonusa.com/en/index.page

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

I was a service tech for an independent Nikon-only shop in Washington DC, and I did some
service work on my own after that shop closed. I no longer service other peoples' gear.
I think the DC shop where I had my D700 cleaned was called Strauss Photo.