The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture NX-D 1.5.0 with Color Control Points Now Available

Darin Marcus

Download URL: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/118.html
The updated PDF manual is also available there.

Changes from previous version:
  • Added support for the Z 7, D3500, and COOLPIX P1000.
  • Added a Diffraction Compensation feature and updated Latest Picture Control for the Z 7.
  • Added a Color Control Point feature that can be used to selectively edit brightness and hue.
  • Image processing is now faster and consumes less memory for improved stability.
  • Picture Controls created or modified in Picture Control Utility 2 can now be applied without restarting Capture NX-D.
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in anchor points created by selecting Add Anchor Point in the Levels & Curves palette and then clicking a point in the image not appearing in the channel tone curves.

jdphoto

Recently acquired a D810. Would this be a good Raw converter to start with or are there others that Nikon users could recommend? LR significantly changed the colors, albeit, not using Color Checker either, but will add that to my workflow too.Thanks

Darin Marcus

This is the only NEF converter I use - I want to get the colors as Nikon intended, which I like.

The interface is based on SilkyPix, but the backend is developed by Nikon.

I use the last version of the standalone Lightroom for finishing touches and image resize for online posting.

Don't know about Color Checker...

jdphoto

I just did a quick comparison with NEF to Tiff (16 bit) using NX-D 1.5.0 with LR NEF to DNG. Imported the NX-D files into LR and was a little surprised that the LR version was cleaner, sharper, with better blacks. Color was too close for me to determine. I do notice that slightly under exposed images creates these ugly, crushed blacks that just smear into loss of detail. Perhaps it's a learning curve for me to figure what's best for Nikon D810 files. I've been shooting with a Leica Monochrom and don't put much thought into WB!

Darin Marcus

I just did a quick comparison with NEF to Tiff (16 bit) using NX-D 1.5.0 with LR NEF to DNG. Imported the NX-D files into LR and was a little surprised that the LR version was cleaner, sharper, with better blacks. Color was too close for me to determine. I do notice that slightly under exposed images creates these ugly, crushed blacks that just smear into loss of detail. Perhaps it's a learning curve for me to figure what's best for Nikon D810 files. I've been shooting with a Leica Monochrom and don't put much thought into WB!
A possible explanation for the differences is that Capture NX-D applies all the camera settings (including the selected picture control) while Lightroom does not. Also, I think that Lightroom applies some default settings with higher values for sharpness and exposure.

In the end, what matters most is for you to like the results.

Fredrick

A possible explanation for the differences is that Capture NX-D applies all the camera settings (including the selected picture control) while Lightroom does not. Also, I think that Lightroom applies some default settings with higher values for sharpness and exposure.

In the end, what matters most is for you to like the results.
With the newer versions of lightroom you are able to choose Nikon picture control/colour control.

Darin Marcus

I’ve rarely had crashes with Capture NX-D before.

However, after updating from macOS High Sierra to Mojave it crashes quite often - sometimes after simple operations such as clicking fast several times on an arrow that increases a parameter value.

Because they changed the way modifications are saved in 1.5.0 (it used to be automatically after each change, now nothing is saved until you select another image or close the program), you lose all changes if the program crashes. It happened to me a few times - now I go to the next image and back after each change.

I am quite disappointed. Hope they fix it soon.