Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fun with Nikon Z

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with Nikon Z

Peter, Vivek, Bob...thank you so much for your considered comments.

I am having my first cup of morning coffee!!

Peter, Bob...two very clear and extremely thoughtful and practical advice filled posts. These experienced based responses align so very much with my thinking on this matter.
    Vivek, you too are right pal. Suffice to say there are no wrong answers. Just some that might be better suited to me going forward.

Thank you all kindly for giving me of your time.

Happy, Blessed and Peaceful New Year to you and everyone and your families.

Kindest regards.
    koffee & kamera
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Rayyan, don’t count on me while my approach to cameras are much more moodbased than objective.
    The X-H1 with 16-55 is 1.328 gr. and 2 centimeter longer than the Z6+24-70 (when “parked”) which is at 1.085 gram. Not much of a difference but to me it would feel like a difference for a walkabout-camera-combo.
    I havn’t yet unpacked my Z24-70 (but I will promise you to do so very soon – but people has only strong recommendations for this lens it looks like). And the 16-55 I haven't tried.
    My deershots were the first shots with my new nikkor 70-200/4. And Irene was standing impatiently at secure distance and freezing, so no time for controlling, I didn’t even got my walk-glasses of, and while the diopter was corrected for non-glass-wearing, I saw the single focuspoint as double, but no time for changing or controlling, just a row of shot, where I with the joystick aimed at the contrastlines (at the antlers) while in the darkness you will struggle to get focus on even surfaces, but hasn’t it been so always? But coming home and looking at the big monitor it took me by big surprise how well the Z7 did manage (and the 70-200/4 too) to do what I wanted it to do. I feel that I never miss a shot with the Z7, which I do with the X-T2, so the Fuji stresses me a bit more. The experience with the Z is therefore much more relaxed, refined and being in control-feel (which give you that solid being-mature-feeling), and much more “it does what you intend to do” - like. And all the functions seems superior in all matters, also to the Df, also to my old D3, the screen, the quick Info button, which present the key menus at the screen for fingertouch-chosing, the graphic layout, the letters and placing are so well articulated that it is a joy to look at, and therefore you always get a quick and solid overview, the same in the viewfinder, which seems big and calm. The shuttersound is so well-damped and modest that you don’t take notice, and if you do, you just wonder have delicate it actually is.
    So while a X-T2/3 feels a tiny bit more handy, size-wise (but not the X-H1 which is the same size as a Z), but then you feel more secure and relaxed while walking with the Z in your hand, and perhaps more optimistic and perhaps therefore a bit more eager and helpful getting the next picture in the box.
    I think the main lenses in the city and so will be the 24-70S, the upcoming 14-30/4S and the upcoming 20/1.8S (both this year), the 20/1.8S for difficult lightcondition, then for telework and other more seldom things the FX 70-200/4 and my other FX lenses will be putted on while the adapter give you the feeling and confidence as being not-there, just like your FX-lenses are native lenses. And Im also looking forward to using some of my old-looking lenses like the 28/1.4D, 85/1.8D and the two 105DC and 135DC, and see if I can get the “old-glass-look” in the Z.
    But its hard for me to advice you Rayyan. Should I only have, lets say the X-T3, then perhaps the 10-24, the 16/1.4, the 56/1.2 and the 90/2 lenses would be my go for lenses, and in the city (and perhaps for light travel) perhaps just the 16 and 90. Or perhaps the 16 + 56.
    But perhaps, as you are an old Nikon-man, you might get a sort of feeling like coming home, with the Z even though it feels different to all other Nikons, perhaps only the grip feels old-school-Nikon. But I perhaps would think you would not get disappointed (but you are always welcome to blame me if you make the expensive jump and you don’t succeed 100% - )

A tiny PS. The image quality in the Z is a bit stronger colours, and it don't give your the more delicate softness that the Df gives in combination with old-school-lenses (not so with G-lenses I think, which also gives some stronger colours). But the Df is more a brick, shape-wise, a bit unhandy walking around with, where I will prefer the Z.
    Last edited by Thorkil; 6th January 2019 at 00:55.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of the above with regard to haptics and usability. And that makes a great difference in
    the feel and experience of walking and photographing with a camera ... My vote was to move from the
    X1D back to a FF camera with accessibility to a great number of lenses.

Battery life and the feel of the grip make this a pleasant camera to use.

AF can be great but there are times it struggles ... hopefully a firmware update can strengthen those issues.

I find the default color a bit strong with regards to midtone contrast but that is solvable in post ... with C1.

Since you have lenses the transition would be eased and you would have the Df for those times you prefer old school feel.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 200mm iso500 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 180mm iso400 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

thorkil
    Likes 26 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, Peter, Thorkil...

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I will sit tight for now

Thorkil, the above is a beautiful and atmospheric image. Well done!

Take care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Rayyan
    Best

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 200mm iso500 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 180mm iso400 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

thorkil
    Somehow I missed this one, Thorkil. Absolutely love it!
    Dave (GT)

Best quote of the day: "Always be kind to others, behind every face is some kind of pain."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much Dave!
    The 70-200/4 is just amazingly on the Z7 I think
    best
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick portrait using the Z7 and 50mm 1.8 S. I really like the OOF areas and rendering. This image was also under exposed by 4 stops, so a good indication of how malleable the files can be, even when you screw up! DXO has given a 44 in their benchmark score for the 50mm 1.8 S. I'm considering selling my (new) 85mm 1.4G and holding out for the 85mm 1.8 S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice, JD!!!

The 50 is underrated IMO.
    Dave (GT)

Best quote of the day: "Always be kind to others, behind every face is some kind of pain."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yikes, my post-processing is backed up again! The nice weather has finally allowed me the opportunity to shoot in the mornings and late afternoon, and now I have a lot of images to edit and process!

Maybe this weekend?
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much Dave!
    The 70-200/4 is just amazingly on the Z7 I think
    best
    The photographer did a great job with subject isolation, and, the beautiful sunlight on the face and antlers of this magnificent beast. The second one is really cool!!! How did you get it to pose like that?
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Nice, JD!!!

The 50 is underrated IMO.
    Thank you! This lens scores as high as the 85mm 1.4g, 105mm 1.4ED and higher than the incredible Sony Planar T 85mm 1.4! All this for $595 too.
    Also, I think it was Throkil's amazing Elk photos that convinced me about the Nikon Z.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    The photographer did a great job with subject isolation, and, the beautiful sunlight on the face and antlers of this magnificent beast. The second one is really cool!!! How did you get it to pose like that?
    thank you Dave and JD, they were in heat (do you call it that?, when the males common sense walk out and the sex walk in?) the top one was very calm, dignified, relaxed moving and not afraid. The lower one had just taking a mudbath, and was scratching its antlers backwards towards a tree (a bit more wild, out of mental reach, just filled with sex-thinking I guess). My wife Irene gets scared when they get close, I don't, don't know why, but instead of thinking of ending up upon these antlers, you shall just feel connected and talk friendly to them, that often disarm the situation, and you are often being able to pass by each other rather close without creating panic

Post Thanks / Like

In our area they call that the "rut", but do be cautious regardless or you could find one male thinks you have a pretty smile.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    Thank you! This lens scores as high as the 85mm 1.4g, 105mm 1.4ED and higher than the incredible Sony Planar T 85mm 1.4! All this for $595 too.
    Also, I think it was Throkil's amazing Elk photos that convinced me about the Nikon Z.
    Indeed, if you look at the top 10 sub 1000$ lenses on DXO there's 4 mirrorless versions and 6 DSLR ones.
    So it seems mirrorless is allowing lens designers to design better but very much cost effective lenses.
    Some of the DSLR types are "3rd party" lens manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron, but the native Nikon 50/1.8 and Sony's 55/1.8 and 85/1.8 show you can use your own brand with mirrorless giving you excellent quality at an affordable price. DXO values don't tell the whole story, but it's certainly one reasonable objective measure to compare lenses by.

My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick portrait using the Z7 and 50mm 1.8 S. I really like the OOF areas and rendering. This image was also under exposed by 4 stops, so a good indication of how malleable the files can be, even when you screw up! DXO has given a 44 in their benchmark score for the 50mm 1.8 S. I'm considering selling my (new) 85mm 1.4G and holding out for the 85mm 1.8 S.
    I can fully understand that! I never ever liked my 1.4/85G as it was showing many optical failures (that are native to that lens) and I am very much satisfied by what I have seen from the S lenses so far, especially the 1.8/50S. That new to be announced 1.8/85S might become a real cracker!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have asked (and begged) Phase One to do a quick support of the Z 14-30/4 S, and they have answered:

"Hi,

Thank you for your comments / feature request.

We have now logged this with our product management dept.

Hopefully you will see your request being implemented in not to distant future.

Kind Regards

Phase One Support"

..so then one just have to have a bit of patience ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

toprated weathersealing it gets by
    https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRO...HERTESTING.HTM
    if anyone is going out in the rain..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well, well, well..lady's and gentlemen, here it comes at last
    C1 Pro 12.1.0, from the release notes:
    "Nikon:
    NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S*
    NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S*
    NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S*
    NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S*
    NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S*
    *Lens profile is embedded in the RAW file and will show as ‘Manufacturer Profile’
    This release is recommended for all users and is a free update to all existing Capture One 12 owners and subscribers.
    For all owners of previous versions you can access all the new features by logging in and upgrading your product. "
    Thank you Phase One
    best
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Trowel Face. Nikon Z7, Z 50mm f/1.8 S.

http://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the photo?????

Post Thanks / Like

oops, I purged my files, but here's a couple with the Z7 and 50mm 1.8S...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon Z 6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 70mm, 1/100, f/4, ISO 100
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon Z 6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon Z 6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One more with the Z 6 and the 24-70mm f/2.8 S:

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

From a recent shoot using the Z and 50mm 1.8S. This is quite possibly the best lens i've ever used. Hopefully, the 85mm 1.8 S will be just as good.
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the left is a winner, just to say it, jd

Post Thanks / Like

the left is a winner, just to say it, jd
    Thank you! Your work with the Z inspired me to choose that camera. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you! Your work with the Z inspired me to choose that camera. Thanks again.
    thank you, JD