The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Z

dave.gt

Yikes, my post-processing is backed up again! The nice weather has finally allowed me the opportunity to shoot in the mornings and late afternoon, and now I have a lot of images to edit and process!

Maybe this weekend?:facesmack:

dave.gt

Thank you very much Dave!
The 70-200/4 is just amazingly on the Z7 I think
best
The photographer did a great job with subject isolation, and, the beautiful sunlight on the face and antlers of this magnificent beast. The second one is really cool!!! How did you get it to pose like that?:LOL:

jdphoto

Nice, JD!!!

The 50 is underrated IMO.:)
Thank you! This lens scores as high as the 85mm 1.4g, 105mm 1.4ED and higher than the incredible Sony Planar T 85mm 1.4! All this for $595 too.
Also, I think it was Throkil's amazing Elk photos that convinced me about the Nikon Z.

Thorkil

The photographer did a great job with subject isolation, and, the beautiful sunlight on the face and antlers of this magnificent beast. The second one is really cool!!! How did you get it to pose like that?:LOL:
:eek: thank you Dave and JD, they were in heat (do you call it that?, when the males common sense walk out and the sex walk in?) the top one was very calm, dignified, relaxed moving and not afraid. The lower one had just taking a mudbath, and was scratching its antlers backwards towards a tree (a bit more wild, out of mental reach, just filled with sex-thinking I guess). My wife Irene gets scared when they get close, I don't, don't know why, but instead of thinking of ending up upon these antlers, you shall just feel connected and talk friendly to them, that often disarm the situation, and you are often being able to pass by each other rather close without creating panic

jdphoto

In our area they call that the "rut", but do be cautious regardless or you could find one male thinks you have a pretty smile.

pegelli

Thank you! This lens scores as high as the 85mm 1.4g, 105mm 1.4ED and higher than the incredible Sony Planar T 85mm 1.4! All this for $595 too.
Also, I think it was Throkil's amazing Elk photos that convinced me about the Nikon Z.
Indeed, if you look at the top 10 sub 1000$ lenses on DXO there's 4 mirrorless versions and 6 DSLR ones.
So it seems mirrorless is allowing lens designers to design better but very much cost effective lenses.
Some of the DSLR types are "3rd party" lens manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron, but the native Nikon 50/1.8 and Sony's 55/1.8 and 85/1.8 show you can use your own brand with mirrorless giving you excellent quality at an affordable price. DXO values don't tell the whole story, but it's certainly one reasonable objective measure to compare lenses by.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here's a quick portrait using the Z7 and 50mm 1.8 S. I really like the OOF areas and rendering. This image was also under exposed by 4 stops, so a good indication of how malleable the files can be, even when you screw up! DXO has given a 44 in their benchmark score for the 50mm 1.8 S. I'm considering selling my (new) 85mm 1.4G and holding out for the 85mm 1.8 S.
I can fully understand that! I never ever liked my 1.4/85G as it was showing many optical failures (that are native to that lens) and I am very much satisfied by what I have seen from the S lenses so far, especially the 1.8/50S. That new to be announced 1.8/85S might become a real cracker!

Thorkil

I have asked (and begged) Phase One to do a quick support of the Z 14-30/4 S, and they have answered:

"Hi,

Thank you for your comments / feature request.

We have now logged this with our product management dept.

Hopefully you will see your request being implemented in not to distant future.

Kind Regards

Phase One Support"

..so then one just have to have a bit of patience ...:rolleyes:

Thorkil

well, well, well..lady's and gentlemen, here it comes at last :thumbs::thumbs:
C1 Pro 12.1.0, from the release notes:
"Nikon:
NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S*
NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S*
NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S*
NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S*
NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S*
*Lens profile is embedded in the RAW file and will show as ‘Manufacturer Profile’
This release is recommended for all users and is a free update to all existing Capture One 12 owners and subscribers.
For all owners of previous versions you can access all the new features by logging in and upgrading your product. "
Thank you Phase One :salute:
best
thorkil

robert kuprion

Here's a quick portrait using the Z7 and 50mm 1.8 S. I really like the OOF areas and rendering. This image was also under exposed by 4 stops, so a good indication of how malleable the files can be, even when you screw up! DXO has given a 44 in their benchmark score for the 50mm 1.8 S. I'm considering selling my (new) 85mm 1.4G and holding out for the 85mm 1.8 S.
Where is the photo?????

jdphoto

From a recent shoot using the Z and 50mm 1.8S. This is quite possibly the best lens i've ever used. Hopefully, the 85mm 1.8 S will be just as good.