The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Z

Thorkil

..collected the Z 50/1.8 S from Photografica in Copenhagen yesterday,
took the same walk as with the 50/1.2 AIS, but unfortunately some 15 minutes later, so the sun had just gone..
but here are some hasty shots anyway..

I tried to remember the same position, but...
the Z50/1.8S is more delicate, soft and creamy in the bokeh (I like it), the AIS a bit more "hysteric", but colours seems stronger in the S

Z7 with 50/1.8S at iso360 1/80 f1.8 through C1pro12win

Some more bokeh. Focuspoint is on the headline down in the extreme right corner, with 493 point selected

Z7 with 50/1.8S at iso110 1/80 f1.8 through C1pro12win

Crop at 100% in the extreme right corner. In my mind one of the best extreme corners wide open I have ever seen. Mind you the very narrow depth of field at f1.8

Z7 with 50/1.8S at iso110 1/80 f1.8 through C1pro12win

He's at the wrong side of the close-up limit and moving a bit

Z7 with 50/1.8S at iso720 1/30 f2 through C1pro12win

..but he's nice

Z7 with 50/1.8S at iso2220 1/30 f2 through C1pro12win

I have to say, this is a very nice lens..!

thorkil

Thorkil

:) Yes I guess you will need it..:grin:
nativeness, rendering, sharpness and price are topnotch :thumbup:
best Thorkil

Thorkil

...in the deep twilight a couple of hours ago

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 200mm iso1400 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win 33% crop

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 200mm iso1250 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - 48% crop

thorkil

rayyan

Thorkil, I am so glad you, and the others, are enjoying your mirrorless Nikons. Some lovely images being posted.

I like this one!!

Happy new year to you all and your families.

Best wishes.

..in soft light

Nikon Z7 with Tamron 15-30/2.8 VC at 18mm iso1800 1/30(hand) f4 through C1pro12 - IBIS and VC on

thorkil

Thorkil

Thank you, Rayyan, and happy new year to you and your family too !!!
its our livingroom, we bought the house in 1984 together with another couple (luckily they moved on a year after), at a really low price. Irene have done the interior, the upholstery on sofa's, chairs herself etc. - I'm just taking care of not getting in the way...
At that time old and big houses were unpopular and cheap, we had energy-crises (since we all seems to have forgotten all about it - by then we were driving in second gear, did we learn something? Nope. Now we are up at 6. gear and at full speed, are we learning something? Nope. So we better all get together, hold our hands, before the big jump out in..?, sorry kids). The world have changed dramatically since, and not for the better (apart from camera's off course :)...well camera-wise time perhaps could, for my part, have stayed happily still by my M6)
Yes I'm happy with the Z7 (apart from the iso-ability), and I'm sure you would have loved to love it too, holding it, using it, and its almost growing upon the Df (which I wont sell anyway, only one of them). I wonder if I might sell the Fuji's later, (perhaps not) well see...
Best wishes thorkil

rayyan

Thorkil, I do have a question which is nagging me. All are welcome to join in this.

Nikon Z6/24-70 versus Fuji XH-1/16-55 !

I have the Fuji. Having been with Nikon longer than some member"s age here ( :shocked: ), I sometimes wonder if it worth the switch.
I do not have the luxury of trying out a system or purchase/return.

Both weigh ~the same. Same fl and dof.

The only possible way for me to try the Nikon Z6 ( Z7 is too much for me ) would be when I am in the States or Canada. Selling the Fuji combo will entail significant monetary loss.

Is it really worth switching..for me?

Apologies for Nikon vs Fuji discussion in this thread. But thought it would be ok here since Thorkil has experience of both systems.

Kind regards.

Thank you, Rayyan, and happy new year to you and your family too !!!
its our livingroom, we bought the house in 1984 together with another couple (luckily they moved on a year after), at a really low price. Irene have done the interior, the upholstery on sofa's, chairs herself etc. - I'm just taking care of not getting in the way...
At that time old and big houses were unpopular and cheap, we had energy-crises (since we all seems to have forgotten all about it - by then we were driving in second gear, did we learn something? Nope. Now we are up at 6. gear and at full speed, are we learning something? Nope. So we better all get together, hold our hands, before the big jump out in..?, sorry kids). The world have changed dramatically since, and not for the better (apart from camera's off course :)...well camera-wise time perhaps could, for my part, have stayed happily still by my M6)
Yes I'm happy with the Z7 (apart from the iso-ability), and I'm sure you would have loved to love it too, holding it, using it, and its almost growing upon the Df (which I wont sell anyway, only one of them). I wonder if I might sell the Fuji's later, (perhaps not) well see...
Best wishes thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thorkil, I do have a question which is nagging me. All are welcome to join in this.

I have the Fuji. Having been with Nikon longer than some member"s age here ( :shocked: ), I sometimes wonder if it worth the switch.

The only possible way for me to try the Nikon Z6 ( Z7 is too much for me ) would be when I am in the States or Canada. Selling the Fuji combo will entail significant monetary loss.

Apologies for Nikon vs Fuji discussion in this thread. But thought it would be ok here since Thorkil has experience of both systems.

Kind regards.
Although Thorkil might be better weaponed to answer this question, I do have some extensive experiences with Nikon (over 30+ years) but also with Fuji (over the past 6 years). So here my thoughts on that.

The real question to answer is - DO YOU NEED FF OR IS APSC (or even m43) ENOUGH FOR YOuR DESIRES AND NEEDS?

IMO Nikon - and especially the Z series is and will become a great system. So if you want and need FF (I doubt one really needs it) then the Z system and of course also the Z6 is definitely a safe way to go. For me the current Z cameras are not quite there in different fields, for me mainly AF but that might for sure be different for many other users. If you are currently not heavily invested in Nikon (which I am not) I would just wait for 2-3 more years before the Z system is more well honed out.

Fuji on the other side is IMO currently the leading vendor when it comes to high end APSC. The X-H1 as well as the X-T3 are top notch - AF, EVF, video features, speed and for me almost most important color science. The colours you can get out of these cameras today are simply stunning and you don't get this anywhere! Also the lens lineup is super and fully PRO and covers almost any photographic and videographer needs today. What one can expect in the future is still higher resolution (32MP for APSC as the new Sony A7000 will show in a few days or weeks) and Fuji will almost for sure get access to these sensors, that will offer not only higher resolution (if you need that) but also even higher speeds as these will be all stacked BSI sensors. What do you really need more?

If you do not need and want more than that I would vote for Fuji as this vendor offers many advantages with it's X-system - mainly superior IQ, color, speed, video, AF while still being able to offer relatively small and compact high quality glass. Nikkor Z-lenses will for sure be larger, heavier and in the end also (much) more expensive than X-mount lenses. Don't let yourself fool by relatively small FF Z-mount cameras of today, because first that will change as soon as Nikon is going to offer a real PRO Z-body with dual card slots and even more the Z-mount lenses to come will be significantly larger and heavier that the X-mount glass.

For me that would be an easy decision :cool:

V

Vivek

Yes, if you can bear that monetary loss.

You can use your already existing Nikon lens arsenal on the Z6 (via the supplied adapter) plus processing becomes lot easier to cope with.

Yes, FF with IBIS has its advantages (don't know if your Fuji has IBIS though).

Consider the Z6 as a Df on steroids but more compact.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Kind regards.
Thank you for allowing us to enter your decision making process.

It seems like every time a new camera or system is announced we all go into a tailspin ... must be better than what I am using.

I bought a Z 7 the first week it was available in the States ... and have used it for a number of video shoots ... and have loved it.

But I am convinced that it is not fully sorted ... AF can be problematic ... external HDMI N-Log is not color neutral ....

End of the day ... you are pleased with the Fuji camera lenses and what you can derive from their system.

Will Nikon be that much better for you ... I sincerely doubt it ...

We tend to chase the new new thing ... when most times what we have is more able than our skills.

In five years the Nikon Z will be all that their marketing says it is today ... and by then your investment in Fuji will
represent a wholly different feel than what it is for you today.

Stay with what you know and what works for you ...

The Df has a mojo that the Z does not understand nor can approximate.

Rest my friend ... little that is new will surpass you present system ... Emperor's New Clothes ...

Best regards and Blessed New Year to you and your family.

Bob

rayyan

Peter, Vivek, Bob...thank you so much for your considered comments.

I am having my first cup of morning coffee!!

Peter, Bob...two very clear and extremely thoughtful and practical advice filled posts. These experienced based responses align so very much with my thinking on this matter.
Vivek, you too are right pal. Suffice to say there are no wrong answers. Just some that might be better suited to me going forward.

Thank you all kindly for giving me of your time.

Happy, Blessed and Peaceful New Year to you and everyone and your families.

Kindest regards.

Thorkil

Well Rayyan, don’t count on me while my approach to cameras are much more moodbased than objective.
The X-H1 with 16-55 is 1.328 gr. and 2 centimeter longer than the Z6+24-70 (when “parked”) which is at 1.085 gram. Not much of a difference but to me it would feel like a difference for a walkabout-camera-combo.
I havn’t yet unpacked my Z24-70 (but I will promise you to do so very soon – but people has only strong recommendations for this lens it looks like). And the 16-55 I haven't tried.
My deershots were the first shots with my new nikkor 70-200/4. And Irene was standing impatiently at secure distance and freezing, so no time for controlling, I didn’t even got my walk-glasses of, and while the diopter was corrected for non-glass-wearing, I saw the single focuspoint as double, but no time for changing or controlling, just a row of shot, where I with the joystick aimed at the contrastlines (at the antlers) while in the darkness you will struggle to get focus on even surfaces, but hasn’t it been so always? But coming home and looking at the big monitor it took me by big surprise how well the Z7 did manage (and the 70-200/4 too) to do what I wanted it to do. I feel that I never miss a shot with the Z7, which I do with the X-T2, so the Fuji stresses me a bit more. The experience with the Z is therefore much more relaxed, refined and being in control-feel (which give you that solid being-mature-feeling), and much more “it does what you intend to do” - like. And all the functions seems superior in all matters, also to the Df, also to my old D3, the screen, the quick Info button, which present the key menus at the screen for fingertouch-chosing, the graphic layout, the letters and placing are so well articulated that it is a joy to look at, and therefore you always get a quick and solid overview, the same in the viewfinder, which seems big and calm. The shuttersound is so well-damped and modest that you don’t take notice, and if you do, you just wonder have delicate it actually is.
So while a X-T2/3 feels a tiny bit more handy, size-wise (but not the X-H1 which is the same size as a Z), but then you feel more secure and relaxed while walking with the Z in your hand, and perhaps more optimistic and perhaps therefore a bit more eager and helpful getting the next picture in the box.
I think the main lenses in the city and so will be the 24-70S, the upcoming 14-30/4S and the upcoming 20/1.8S (both this year), the 20/1.8S for difficult lightcondition, then for telework and other more seldom things the FX 70-200/4 and my other FX lenses will be putted on while the adapter give you the feeling and confidence as being not-there, just like your FX-lenses are native lenses. And Im also looking forward to using some of my old-looking lenses like the 28/1.4D, 85/1.8D and the two 105DC and 135DC, and see if I can get the “old-glass-look” in the Z.
But its hard for me to advice you Rayyan. Should I only have, lets say the X-T3, then perhaps the 10-24, the 16/1.4, the 56/1.2 and the 90/2 lenses would be my go for lenses, and in the city (and perhaps for light travel) perhaps just the 16 and 90. Or perhaps the 16 + 56.
But perhaps, as you are an old Nikon-man, you might get a sort of feeling like coming home, with the Z even though it feels different to all other Nikons, perhaps only the grip feels old-school-Nikon. But I perhaps would think you would not get disappointed (but you are always welcome to blame me if you make the expensive jump and you don’t succeed 100% - :shocked:)
:)
A tiny PS. The image quality in the Z is a bit stronger colours, and it don't give your the more delicate softness that the Df gives in combination with old-school-lenses (not so with G-lenses I think, which also gives some stronger colours). But the Df is more a brick, shape-wise, a bit unhandy walking around with, where I will prefer the Z.

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I agree with all of the above with regard to haptics and usability. And that makes a great difference in
the feel and experience of walking and photographing with a camera ... My vote was to move from the
X1D back to a FF camera with accessibility to a great number of lenses.

Battery life and the feel of the grip make this a pleasant camera to use.

AF can be great but there are times it struggles ... hopefully a firmware update can strengthen those issues.

I find the default color a bit strong with regards to midtone contrast but that is solvable in post ... with C1.

Since you have lenses the transition would be eased and you would have the Df for those times you prefer old school feel.

Thorkil

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 200mm iso500 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 180mm iso400 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

thorkil

rayyan

Bob, Peter, Thorkil...

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I will sit tight for now:)

Thorkil, the above is a beautiful and atmospheric image. Well done!

Take care.

dave.gt

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 200mm iso500 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

Nikon Z7 with nikkor 70-200/4 at 180mm iso400 1/200 f4 through C1pro12win - crop

thorkil
Somehow I missed this one, Thorkil. Absolutely love it!:):):)

jdphoto

Here's a quick portrait using the Z7 and 50mm 1.8 S. I really like the OOF areas and rendering. This image was also under exposed by 4 stops, so a good indication of how malleable the files can be, even when you screw up! DXO has given a 44 in their benchmark score for the 50mm 1.8 S. I'm considering selling my (new) 85mm 1.4G and holding out for the 85mm 1.8 S.