The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Z

jdphoto

I had a shoot with a Nikon 105mm 1.4 and really like this lens, but the newest Z 85mm 1.8 S should be in US stores soon. I'm curious if anyone has used both? The FL and aperture are very negligible, but the separation of the 105mm has a wonderful effect! Perhaps I should try the 200mm f/2 II first!

Nikon 105mm f1.4

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had a shoot with a Nikon 105mm 1.4 and really like this lens, but the newest Z 85mm 1.8 S should be in US stores soon. I'm curious if anyone has used both? The FL and aperture are very negligible, but the separation of the 105mm has a wonderful effect! Perhaps I should try the 200mm f/2 II first!

Nikon 105mm f1.4
Excellent, both the lens and the photography!

I see a dangerously good (and expensive) quartet before my inner eye:
Zeiss 21/2.8, Nikkor 58/1.4, Nikkor 105/1.4, Nikkor 200/2, all magic lenses.

One can always dream :)

JohnBrew

Z7, 300 f4 w/1.4 tele. 60 wood storks on the fairway this morning. A large bald-headed eagle joined them yesterday but as I went for my camera it flew away. Still having trouble dialing in my long adapted lenses so forgive the poor quality.

Attachments

jdphoto

Jorgen, Thank you for the comment, I really appreciate it! Those lenses you've mentioned are indeed, a fantastic combo with nothing else needed.
I am going to rent the 200mm f/2 first, but have to research the differences between the the first and second versions.

tcdeveau

Jorgen, Thank you for the comment, I really appreciate it! Those lenses you've mentioned are indeed, a fantastic combo with nothing else needed.
I am going to rent the 200mm f/2 first, but have to research the differences between the the first and second versions.
From what I understand, the differences are pretty marginal. My understanding is that the VRI gets you like 95% or more the performance of the VRII (image quality, AF speed, lens handling, etc) for less money. I've been wanting to get one for long time and have seen some great used deals the past few months on both VRI and VRII versions.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A short comment to your comment on my comment:
While I'm currently using a D800 for my full frame needs, it's not unlikely that I will buy a Z-something in the future. Will I then prefer Z-mount lenses instead of the F-mount equivalents? I'm not so sure about that. Apart from the purely practical advantage of being able to use the lenses on two systems (plus to a certain degree film), I feel that there's a change of generations when it comes to lens design philosophy. The trend is towards technically, almost clinically, perfect lenses, which shows very clearly from Nikon's Z-mount primes. It's not a new trend, but technology has brought us closer to that aim.

None of the quartet I mentioned is optically perfect, with the possible exception of the 200mm. However, they all show a very strong "personality" and each of them offers a unique rendering that shows up in photos. That to me is much more important than technical perfection.

But then, I often prefer TriX or HP5 to zillion megapixel sensors :loco:

Last edited:

jdphoto

A short comment to your comment on my comment:
While I'm currently using a D800 for my full frame needs, it's not unlikely that I will buy a Z-something in the future. Will I then prefer Z-mount lenses instead of the F-mount equivalents? I'm not so sure about that. Apart from the purely practical advantage of being able to use the lenses on two systems (plus to a certain degree film), I feel that there's a change of generations when it comes to lens design philosophy. The trend is towards technically, almost clinically, perfect lenses, which shows very clearly from Nikon's Z-mount primes. It's not a new trend, but technology has brought us closer to that aim.

None of the quartet I mentioned is optically perfect, with the possible exception of the 200mm. However, they all show a very strong "personality" and each of them offers a unique rendering that shows up in photos. That to me is much more important than technical perfection.

But then, I often prefer TriX or HP5 to zillion megapixel sensors :loco:
Right! Character is truly the soul of a lens and although, I've only used the Z 50mm 1.8 S for work, it is one of the best I've used with its own character, but also with incredible performance. The reviews are coming in for the Z 85mm 1.8 S and some are saying as sharp as an Otus, but no mention of character. Perhaps character is more subjective and elusive. Either way the Z has impressed me with its ability to adapt G glass so nicely with its wide diameter and short flange.

Thorkil

Difference Z6 to Z7?
Sorry for higher iso on the Z7.
The Z6 (borrowed from a friend) seemed to be more colour/whitebalance spot-on - adjusted the Z7 file to the same Kelvin and Tint as on the Z6 NEF-file. Afterwards its hard to see difference I think.
At the Z7 picture the wind was blowing a bit more, might explain why the shaping of the light on the leaves not has same clarity as on the Z6 leaves

Z6 with Nikkor 70-200/4G at 200mm iso400 1/200 f8 through C1pro12.1win crop84% EV -1.3

Z6 with Nikkor 70-200/4G at 175mm iso800 1/200 f8 through C1pro12.1win crop71% EV -0,3

thorkil

jdphoto

Has anyone used the new Z 85mm 1.8S? I'm really enjoying the 105mm 1.4, but it was a rental, so fingers crossed that the new 85mm has as much character as the 105mm 1.4, at a really good price too!
Here's another with the 105mm 1.4

Darin Marcus

Darin, Love the color and contrast on the flower pic. Nicely done!
Thank you!

I seriously considered the 85mm 1.8S, but while I went with primes only for the D810, I decided to go with zooms only for the Z6. I am now patiently waiting for the 70-200mm f2.8 S ...

From the photos I’ve seen in other places, the 85mm 1.8 S looks like a very nice lens.

SahotaR

Thank you!

I seriously considered the 85mm 1.8S, but while I went with primes only for the D810, I decided to go with zooms only for the Z6. I am now patiently waiting for the 70-200mm f2.8 S ...

From the photos I’ve seen in other places, the 85mm 1.8 S looks like a very nice lens.
These 2 photos are with 85mm f1.8S on Z6, SOOC with some cropping only. Just bought the lens and I was testing in low light.

This one is ISO800 at f2.0

ISO3200, f3.5

SahotaR

jdphoto

@SahotaR, Great pics, beautiful model too!
I'm curious if this could replace the 105mm 1.4 as a portrait lens? These new Nikon S lenses are spectacular, especially the 50mm 1.8, which imo, has lots of character aside from being incredibly sharp. I'm convinced, so far, that these 1.8's are the new 1.4's of G fame.

SahotaR

@SahotaR, Great pics, beautiful model too!
I'm curious if this could replace the 105mm 1.4 as a portrait lens? These new Nikon S lenses are spectacular, especially the 50mm 1.8, which imo, has lots of character aside from being incredibly sharp. I'm convinced, so far, that these 1.8's are the new 1.4's of G fame.
Sorry, I never owned Nikon 105mm f1.4.
My go to lens on D850 was Tamron 85mm f1.8 with VC. Still have it, will be selling it soon.

I like the new Nikon 85mm S better than the Tamron, I am thinking of testing it on Z7.

I will post another image from 85 S in a minute.

Sahota R