The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Z

SahotaR

Nikon Z6 and 85mm f1.8S at f2.5, iso 200, again out of Capture1 pro with no further processing.

Sahota R

KeithL

for us cat-people this is a very sad picture, but it very fine done (!!) even though...
best
I've been a cat person for my entire life and loved them all. Every one of them will be forever in my heart, which is how I can make these images without a sense of guilt.

Thorkil

I've been a cat person for my entire life and loved them all. Every one of them will be forever in my heart, which is how I can make these images without a sense of guilt.
Keith, I must say, it’s very beautiful pictures you are showing at your homepage !
I was about to write that you make them like beautiful painting, when I saw you are actually is a painter.
So there is often a logical explanation to how your eyes are tuned in, to perceive.
Beauty of life as a moment of still life grabbed out of time, often walk hand in hand with a certain amount of melancholic mood.
(And seeing these lifeconditions one can not blame these people wishing to rise a bit in livingstandard…)

dave.gt

Thorkil,

I must say that I would love to see what you can do with a 200 2.0 lens on the Z7. :thumbup:

Please borrow one and show us your magic!:salute:

Thorkil

Thorkil,

I must say that I would love to see what you can do with a 200 2.0 lens on the Z7. :thumbup:

Please borrow one and show us your magic!:salute:
ha-ha, Dave, thank you for your trust :eek: ..but no magic from here :p
and by the way, so far there is a long look at the bottom of the purse and what is left there must be left to survive, I am afraid :bugeyes:
And treacherous thoughts here from might be, that, ain't the bokeh from the 200/2 almost too strong ???, well one could stop down, but then perhaps a f2.8 or 4 could do it too???, or why don't you perhaps consider a 300 PF, that's a handy and super splendid lens I would think...

jdphoto

Nikon Z with 50mm 1.8 S. I'm not an astro photographer, so need to figure out the best settings, but liked this regardless.
This is in the Bay of Fundy.

Photon42

Nikon Z with 50mm 1.8 S. I'm not an astro photographer, so need to figure out the best settings, but liked this regardless.
Not a night or astro photographer myself, so ... what were the settings resulting in this brillant image? Is it a composite?

Thorkil

Yes, its a splendid pictures! I just wish that it was a bit bigger while it ought to fill almost the entire screen (which at my stationary is 32"), so if it was about 1500-1600 px wide one could see a lot more details :eek:
KR thorkil

dave.gt

JD,

I have been distracted with other issues lately. I don't want to miss the opportunity to tell you, and others, that the amount of time, work and energy you have invested in the photo above is very much appreciated. From my own experience, I know. And I also love the results, hoping you have many more from the same shoot and other times that you have ventured out in the dark of night.

Well done!:thumbup:

jdphoto

I really appreciate the sentiments expressed here as it confirms the generosity of so many at GetDpi. Inspiration can come from a few kind words with the ability to compel and motivate our passion. I've been very inspired by the many talented photographers here and have also learned a few tricks too.

I was visiting family on a beautiful island in the Bay of Fundy and this lighthouse greets all who enter the harbor by ferry. It's incredibly peaceful at night, albeit a little scary too, with high wind, a few seals and shorebirds all vying for their space on the rocks. The cliffs rise approximately 150 - 200 feet from the sea. The craggy paths that wind the point don't instill confidence at night, but with careful planning can be an adventure. I was told by my wife as I set out to the lighthouse, "don't do anything stupid". I should hang that as my mantra in my studio, but I did in fact, heed her advice when trying to scale the cliffs farther below for a better vantage point. I do have some basic rock climbing gear that I might pack in my bag for those occasions when needed. One descent looked too sketchy and with high tide on the rise, my wife's advice was sensible. It also made me realize that a 24mm or 35mm lens might have been the safer way to get this image. I will post a few more, but have to watch for star trails and high ISO.

Thanks to All!

Last edited:

jdphoto

Not a night or astro photographer myself, so ... what were the settings resulting in this brillant image? Is it a composite?
Thank you for the comment.
It is not a composite. Although, I appreciate the art of some composite photography, imo, it doesn't hold as much magic as a natural photograph,(if that's even possible with digital). I once viewed an incredible image of a moon rising with ducks flitting across a misty pond. I was awestruck at the composition until the photographer mentioned that all the elements were photographed separately at different times. For this pic it was choosing between one or two elements that probably won't look ideal, so it's either: lower iso and longer exposure=star trails and shorter exposure, higher iso=camera noise. Pixel shift cameras would mitigate the star trails, but doesn't work so good with subjects in the image.

Last edited:

jlancasterd

A couple of photos taken this week of the Ffestiniog Railway's latest Pullman Observation Car, built in the railway's own Carriage Works at Boston Lodge. It went into service on 4 October at the start of the annual Victorian Vintage Gala. Z6, 24-70 f4S. The interior shot was at 24mm, 1/15sec and f16, hand held.

Gwyrfai at Port 9-10 RGB.jpg

Gwyrfai interior 9-10 RGB.jpg

Last edited: