The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Z

Darin Marcus

From a recent visit at the Manassas National Battlefield Park:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 70mm, 1/250, f/2.8, ISO 100

jlancasterd

I went to Switzerland for a couple of weeks in late September and was lucky enough, on a visit to the preserved Dampfbahn-Furka-Bergstreck to see their newly-restored 0-8-0 4-cylinder, compound rack tank under test at Furka halt, the highest part of the line. This loco was recovered as a rusty wreck from a closed line in the Vietnamese jungle about 20 years ago and has taken around 10 years to restore. The result is magnificent. Z6, 24-70 f4 @32mm, 1/500, f8, ISO 250.

DFB 704 at Furka 20-09 RGB.jpg

jdphoto

Finally got to try the Nikon Z 85mm 1.8S, but only for fun. We'll be using it for a job soon, but from the shots I took, It's really good in resolution with decent bokeh and falloff. Some have compared it to the Otus with as good resolution. I must decide between the 105mm 1.4 or the half priced Z 85mm 1.8s. I'm not too sure the differences are that great with resolution going to the Z 85mm. Less expensive, plus weather resistance is a plus too.
Here's a few with the Z 50mm 1.8s and 105mm 1.4. I think I uploaded the 105mm before, but it does make for a good comparison in focal length. Both are stellar lenses.

Thorkil

JD Beautiful!
Perhaps JD, the 105/1.4 seems to draw a tiny bit more delicate? Where the 85/1.8S seems almost perfect, but perhaps also a tiny bit more anonymous ?
But on the other hand, perhaps in every day practice, you would find the native lens handier and more satisfying to handle (???), and without adapter (and bonus in weight and price)(???)

jdphoto

JD Beautiful!
Perhaps JD, the 105/1.4 seems to draw a tiny bit more delicate? Where the 85/1.8S seems almost perfect, but perhaps also a tiny bit more anonymous ?
But on the other hand, perhaps in every day practice, you would find the native lens handier and more satisfying to handle (???), and without adapter (and bonus in weight and price)(???)
Excellent points. I agree that the 105mm is more "delicate" and it draws more "character". The size of the 105mm doesn't bother me and actually helps in hand holding. The Z 85mm 1.8S is absolutely razor sharp even wide open. It's remarkable at how good it is, but I keep thinking the 105mm 1.4 just exudes more character. Using the FTZ with the 105mm is another engineering marvel and works as good as a native lens.

Thorkil

Excellent points. I agree that the 105mm is more "delicate" and it draws more "character". The size of the 105mm doesn't bother me and actually helps in hand holding. The Z 85mm 1.8S is absolutely razor sharp even wide open. It's remarkable at how good it is, but I keep thinking the 105mm 1.4 just exudes more character. Using the FTZ with the 105mm is another engineering marvel and works as good as a native lens.
So if money isn't an issue, or lets say, it won't prevent you to get proper healthy food on the table and all the other necessities, perhaps go for the 105 (just promise us all to post a lot Z+105/1.4 then, so we all can enjoy the drawing)
At first when seeing pictures from the 85/1.8S around, my first thought was that they were somehow a tiny bit "sexless".
Yes the FTZ is splendid. I'm just having a bit trouble concerning sharpness with the 70-200/4 at infinity. Perhaps it's somehow an adjustment issue, but I haven't investigated further in it though.

Thorkil

Nikon Z7 with 24-70/4S at iso80 1/80 f8 at 70mm through C1pro12.1.4
Hi there, what took you so long? - San Zeno di Montagna

thorkil

jdphoto

So if money isn't an issue, or lets say, it won't prevent you to get proper healthy food on the table and all the other necessities, perhaps go for the 105 (just promise us all to post a lot Z+105/1.4 then, so we all can enjoy the drawing)
At first when seeing pictures from the 85/1.8S around, my first thought was that they were somehow a tiny bit "sexless".
Yes the FTZ is splendid. I'm just having a bit trouble concerning sharpness with the 70-200/4 at infinity. Perhaps it's somehow an adjustment issue, but I haven't investigated further in it though.
Yes, try the lens adjustment in the Z menu. Or try zooming through viewfinder and set infinity in manual mode to see if it achieves infinity focus. Perhaps, a de centered element.

Thorkil

well...two cows..one horse

Nikon Z7 with 24-70/4S at iso100 1/160 f8 70mm through C1pro12.1.4

Nikon Z7 with 24-70/4S at iso90 1/160 f8 24mm through C1pro12.1.4

Nikon Z7 with 24-70/4S at iso72 1/160 f8 24mm through C1pro12.1.4

thorkil

JohnBrew

Same problem here. Try +2 for a starter. Funny, my Z7 rental (try before you buy) w/FTZ and 70-200 F4 was perfect. And once purchased, same problem as Thorkil. Sorta pissed me off.

Thorkil

when I've got some patience, I'll give it a try, John, but if one should risk that it focus ok at infinity, but getting worse at normal working distance, like shooting deer, one can perhaps give it two different adjustment-versions to choose between in the field

Swissblad

Same problem here. Try +2 for a starter. Funny, my Z7 rental (try before you buy) w/FTZ and 70-200 F4 was perfect. And once purchased, same problem as Thorkil. Sorta pissed me off.
That's disconcerting - there are several online reports of issues with Z6/Z7 with the 70-200mm f4.0.

Pity - as this is one of my favourite landscape lenses.

Hope Nikon gets this sorted out.