The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor AF-P 70-300 etc. etc.

rayyan

Hi folks.

One lens I find not in my kit is a 70-200. I seldom use it. But I have missed such a range occasionally on my travels.

I had both the 70-200/2.8 and the first 70-300 long time ago.

The f2.8 is not justified for its weight/size. So I am looking at the latest 70-300mm. Heavy, but manageable if not carried all the time.

Use would be on a Df.

Any experience and/or suggestions shall be welcome.

TIA.

Bugleone

I don't think the AF-P lens will be of use or interest to you as it is only for Nikon APS-C cameras.

Currently there are only three AF-P lenses, namely 10-20mm, 18-55mm & 70-300mm. All are inexpensive, not to say cheap, when compared to other lenses by Nikon (and most other makers) The AF-P's have plastic mounts and controls such as AF and anti-shake are only available via the (recent) camera body. The lenses feature linear(stepper type) motors and performance is excellent being instantaneous and silent...also the optical quality at pretty much all apertures is quite simply superb, at least on the 18-55 (which i have had a good play with), and apparently also on the other two according to the web. plastic components throughout has resulted in very light-weight construction and very low price etc. There is the slight penalty that the AF-P's have modest max apertures.......

As far as I can judge Nikon is more or less alone in introducing these cheap, hi-tech lenses just for APS-C as no other makers (apart maybe from Fuji) have anything like these. Currently, the 10-20mm is available for only £250 here in the UK where camera gear is approx twice the price of the US in real comparable terms, and should be a fantastic travel wide-angle being small, light, cheap and amazingly high optical standard.

I discovered just how excellent is the nikon 'entry level' models along with these AF-P lenses when my wife recently did away with her m/43 panasonic camera with which she never bonded. We were able to buy a new d3300 with AF-P 18-55 and to this she added a grey market 55-200. the whole kit was less than £300 new with two year warranty on the d3300. This kit is simply brilliant and performs superbly for less that a tenth of the cost of nikons 'big'battleship' models. We are both delighted with the images from this kit and I expect to dump my Sony APS-C stuff soon! Can't wait to get the 10-20 AF-P if it's amnything like the 18-55. 'Entry-level' models are actually where nikon makes it's most profit and turn-over, and they have got it completely sown up!

rayyan

Bugleone, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. Much appreciated.

However, I was seeking advice for the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E VR AF-P. Which, to the best of my knowledge is a FX lens.

Nikon do make a DX version of this lens..IIRC.

Once again my thanks for your advice.

Bugleone

Yes, a quick search show that you are correct in that the AF-P70-300 is intended for DX & FX both....the mount is NOT plastic, bein gone of the few components that is not.... The ken Rockwell site (good for factual details and pix of nikon kit) has good details here;

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300mm-vr-afp-fx.htm

The lens also has (unlike the other two AF-P's) switches for AF and VR

EDIT;......Apparently there IS a separate DX version that is nice and light (and cheap!)....so my apologies for wasting your time!

Swissblad

Hi Rayyan

Be aware that there are DX and FX versions in this zoom range - both with a "P".

There is a review of the FX lens on Photographylife by Nasim Mansurov - and it seems to be OK.

Personally I prefer the AFS 70-200f4.0, which is an extraordinarily sharp lens, very compact and can be fitted with a rotating collar.

HTH, SB.

rayyan

Bugleone, it is I who thank you. Helping is not wasting my time. I am grateful to you.

Best.

Yes, a quick search show that you are correct in that the AF-P70-300 is intended for DX & FX both....the mount is NOT plastic, bein gone of the few components that is not.... The ken Rockwell site (good for factual details and pix of nikon kit) has good details here;

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300mm-vr-afp-fx.htm

The lens also has (unlike the other two AF-P's) switches for AF and VR

EDIT;......Apparently there IS a separate DX version that is nice and light (and cheap!)....so my apologies for wasting your time!

rayyan

Hello Swissblad.

Thank you. I did note the 70-200/4! But was too rich for me.

I saw Jack has one for sale. Unfortunately, it would be a hassle for him to ship it to me. So I did not respond to hid very enticing ad.

Let me, then, start eating ramen ( without the pork! ), and collect my savings for f4.

Thanks for your help.

Stay well.

Hi Rayyan

Be aware that there are DX and FX versions in this zoom range - both with a "P".

There is a review of the FX lens on Photographylife by Nasim Mansurov - and it seems to be OK.

Personally I prefer the AFS 70-200f4.0, which is an extraordinarily sharp lens, very compact and can be fitted with a rotating collar.

HTH, SB.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If it was me, which it isn't, I would go for the 70-200 f/4. It will give you better subject separation when needed, due to higher optical quality (and somewhat larger aperture), better contrast and sharper images. It can also be used to chase wild animals and burglars.

I haven't tried the latest 70-300 versions though, but the first generation 70-300mm VR came out as "flat" to me, although relatively sharp. When that is said, I do use a cheapish 100-300mm lens on m4/3 myself, stopping down to f/8 to get the image quality that I want, so I may not be the most reliable source of information or opinion :ROTFL:

Last edited:

rayyan

SrMphoto, Jorgen....thank you both.

Yes Jorgen the new FX lens will not work on the D2 series or the F6.

With the Df, I have to update my firmware for it to be compatible with this lens.

I was undecided between this and the Fuji 55-200.
But I think I shall go for the Nikon..internal focusing is a important benefit.

And I shall use it only occasionally. So paying for the f4 is difficult for me to justify on a fixed income, and skinny arms;)

Thanks and best regards.

p.s I have the 18-35, 50, 85, and expect BH to ship the 70-300. And my Df.
I sold the D750, D700, 24-120, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 D. Fuji XH-1 is on sale.

As a spare, and for street, I shall have the Fuji XP2 and the 35 &50 f2.

That’s it.

There you go... I feel so outdated, and this apparently excellent lens won't even work with my D2Xs :wtf:
Back to the D500 drawing board :)

JohnBrew

Rayyan, let me be another with a strong recommendation for the 70-200 f4. I did a trip to the Pacific Northwest with only that lens. It is relatively light and my example is incredibly sharp. I also used it in Italy last year and took some images of which the sharpness and separation were amazing. IMO, a relative bargain at the price.
Good luck with your search.

rayyan

Thanks John.

Camera + Lens..~550+900 = 1.4 kg. But it shall be only for a short time. I think I can manage that.
Now waiting for some Christmas or New Year sales; and if someone from family can bring it over for me.

Take care.