The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z7 'issues' (to put it mildly)

jdphoto

Honestly, it’s an amazingly mature camera. As others have noted, shutter shock is very common and on the Z7 I just use EFC, which has no downside other than a max shutter speed of 1/200th. However, by the time you get to 1/2000th, shutter shock is no longer an issue. So as it turns out, the camera switches to ‘normal’ shutter operation and there just isn’t a problem at all!

I also shoot an A7RIII, a Hassy X1D, a Leica CL and a Phase IQ3 100 and there is absolutely no sense in which the Nikon is any less mature than any of them. In fact I’d say that out of the bunch, it might be the most mature.

The joy of shooting it with TTL and HSS on a Profoto A1, or of hiking out with it and just one really pretty damned good and light and versatile lens is pretty real. Add to the mix a Gen 3 iPad Pro and a USB C cable and you’ve got a really stellar package.
I'm glad you've worked out the kinks. It's an interesting camera with amazing specs, but soon enough there will be the Z2. The ergonomics and styling get better each time I look at it. Now for a look at their lens roadmap and the Canon EOS 50-R.

P.S. you might want to change the thread title...