The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z7 and X1D - I shot them, don't shoot me...

Paul2660

Paul,

While I wanted to agree with you regarding the kit lens, after testing the Nikon 24-70mm f/4 S against the Fuji GF 32-64mm the Nikon showed weakness in the corners. No amount of sharpening is going to fix that. See the comparison here. I agree with you wrt the Z7 camera body however.

Joe
Thanks Joe,

I need to do some more shooting at some distances. I will look at the corners a bit more.

Paul C

bab

Most eyes especially older ones don’t see color as young eyes do, we can argue over fine detail but not color.

So if ones cameras files have the same detail as another and your of the opinions that it better benefits you and your style congrats your done searching.
Now buy two bodies and a bunch of glass and go shoot a 100,000 frames and then find a few to print.

Thorkil

Z7 with the 24-70/4S in Stockholm, iso 64 1/60, handheld (IBIS and electronic first curtain on) - only modest sharpening and modest classic clarity done - nothing else done
First the JPG which will be auto-corrected for concave distortion in C1
Second the NEF which have heavy concave distortion which C1 don't correct, and cant be done manual in C1 while the distortion correction seems to only cope with convex/barrel distortion (am I missing something in C1?)
But at f4 and at 64mm one can't in fairness compare the center and corner, while even the front of the lamp and the corners get out of the narrow DOF.

JPG concave distortion and vignetting autocorrected in C1

NEF uncorrected for heavy concave distortion and vignetting

100% center from NEF with narrow DOF by the wall (front of lamp out of DOF)

100% corner from NEF out of DOF so sharpness can't be compared (ought to be perhaps f10 instead)

thorkil

Paul2660

[url=https://flic.kr/p/STK9CY]DSC_0339 by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/STK9Nh]lower right corner DSC_0339 by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/URL]

full image DSC_0339 by paul caldwell, on Flickr

Moving past OP's points, but I did want to check. This shot, was hand held, F9. I did use manual focus, with peaking as I never feel that confident with most Nikon Zooms with AF on a subject like this. The lower left corner is very sharp across the frame, top left is a bit soft, but holds with the rest of the image.

The shot was worked up in C1, standard sharpening, and uploaded to Flickr (which does add a bit of sharpening which I can't seem to control).

My take at least so far is that both my 24-70 VR 2 or the 24-70 F4 S lens can do the job, but you really need to check your focus manually, as many times the AF doesn't seem to get the best overall focus. The spot where the AF point is will be in great focus, but many times in a scene like this where I am looking for a huge amount of DOF, I will manually check the shot as often a slight MF tweak, can bring the entire image into a better focus. This is the case with both zooms for me.

The Fuji 32-64 I will agree is a bit better and the corners may have been slightly better, but for me, not enough to not warrant carrying the Z7 in place of the 50S. The issues that Fuji never resolved around 100% view (Live View) and strange peaking many times make the Nikon system the camera I want to have. Both systems are great and compliment the P1 when I am using a tech setup.

Paul C

Thorkil

Alarm cancelled
To correct the NEF 24-70/4S distortion I just had to chose under Lens profile "Generic pincushion distortion", set it at 3 and voila, problem easy solved...
(added some few other things too, to taste) (ought to try later on a f9/10 one in Copenhagen (Stockholm left) to compare corner to center)

NEF with pinchusion distortion corrected at 3 in C1

Z7 24-70/4S at iso64 1/60(handheld) f4 64mm C1pro12.0.2win

thorkil

I am surprised at the level of optical distortion inherent in that lens. But for software correction, the lens doesn't seem very well designed.

Thorkil

I was too, but for now I'm satiesfied, I will just set the pincushion distortion at 3 in the future, until C1 get that lens supported, while it seems that none of the Z-lenses are in the supported list, under lens profiles.
So to me, with C1, its so easy corrected, I don't bother anymore :)