The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Why don't you want to use EFCS?
I have not yet done any tests concerning EFCS with the Z6 and its kit lens.

However, I do remember some exposure/blooming/dynamic range issues I had with my Nikon 1 V1 using its electronic shutter (the V1 had a mechanical shutter as well as an electronic one).
There is also talk about potential effects on bokeh - https://phillipreeve.net/blog/limitations-of-the-electronic-shutter-function/. Different cameras though...

At some point I will get to test EFCS on the Z6 and decide whether to use it if the negative effects are minor to me.

Darin Marcus

IBIS worked extremely well on this handheld shot:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 34.5mm, 1/8, f/4, ISO 100, -2.3 EC, VR on, EFCS off

jlancasterd

The week in Dresden included visits to four narrow-gauge steam railways, all of them originally operated by Saxon State Railways, Later Deutsch Reichsbahn, and nowadays by various local authorities. All are still steam operated. This locomotive, one of the ubiquitous 2-10-2 tanks which seem to operate all winter trains, was on a line running south from Zittau into the mountains on the Czech border. It is one of the oldest locos we saw, built in 1928 By Hartmann in Chemnitz.

Z6, 24-70 S lens @ 49mm, ISO 1600, f8.0, 1/500 sec, JPEG

99-731 Zittau 6-12-18 RGB.jpg

Darin Marcus

Shot a cool time-lapse sequence about two hours ago with my Z6 and 50mm 1.8S. I had it set at 1/10th, electronic shutter at ISO 20,000, managed about 212 frames of the antics. Two bucks were going at it in my yard in the moonlight as viewed through my window.
Nice!

tcdeveau

Shot a cool time-lapse sequence about two hours ago with my Z6 and 50mm 1.8S. I had it set at 1/10th, electronic shutter at ISO 20,000, managed about 212 frames of the antics. Two bucks were going at it in my yard in the moonlight as viewed through my window.

Here are a few frames from the sequence, looks amazing as a 4K movie:

View attachment 138089View attachment 138090View attachment 138091View attachment 138092
Very cool!

BTW, I wish I had the view from your window

Darin Marcus

During the last few days I did some additional tests with the Z6 and the kit lens.

I tested VR On/Off at 35mm and 1/160sec, EFCS off, handheld. I got the VR off photo sharp, and the VR on photo a bit blurry. I am not sure what is going on, but for me the VR helps only at around or less than 1/f seconds with the kit lens. So I will keep VR off unless the shutter speed goes below 1/70 sec with the kit lens.

I tested EFCS On/Off at 50mm, 1/320 sec, VR off, handheld, to check for potential bokeh issues with OOF tree branches. I found no bokeh differences due to EFCS.

On the other hand, I tested EFCS On/Off at 70mm, 1/640 sec, VR off handheld, and I found no improvement in sharpness due to EFCS on. So it appears that in my case EFCS does not help :)

Darin Marcus

From Tysons Corner, Virginia - Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 36mm, 1/40, f/4, ISO 200, EC -2.0

Darin Marcus

A Happy and Prosperous New Year 2019 to all!

National Shrine, Washington DC
Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 27mm, 1/13, f/4, ISO 800

May 2019 bring you your dream camera and/or lenses :cool:

Personally, I hope the new 24-70mm f/2.8 S will be a great lens, fulfilling the promises of the Z mount - in which case it will replace my kit lens in a heartbeat...

jdphoto

Darin,
Can the Z6 download images from camera to computer if there's no XQD reader? Any experience with the 50mm 1.8? Thanks.

Darin Marcus

Can the Z6 download images from camera to computer if there's no XQD reader?
Yes, you can connect the camera to a computer either through a USB cable or through WiFi.
The relevant manual pages can be found online at https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z7_z6/en/10_connections_02.html.

I hoped that by the time the Z6 is released, CFexpress will be available, but that did not happen. So I bought a 32G Sony XQD card and the Sony XQD/SD reader.
Later on I read a post on another site where somebody claimed they had a chat with someone from ProGrade Digital who said they are waiting on Nikon to provide an updated firmware in order to test their CFexpress prototypes. It looks like it may take a while...

Any experience with the 50mm 1.8?
I am sorry, but I have no experience with it - I am not interested in this lens.

Darin Marcus

I've been very busy at work for the past couple of weeks, so I did not get a chance to play with the Z6.

These photos were taken at the beginning of December at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC to test the bokeh of the 24-70mm f/4 S kit lens.
Both at 49mm, f/4, 1/40sec, ISO 400, IBIS on, EFCS off. Minimal processing to preserve the blurriness :D
Cropped to eliminate other works of art from the frame...

jdphoto

I'm demoing the Z6 and tried the MF Nikon 50mm 1.2 Ai-s with FTZ adapter and the Nikon Nikkor AF 50 mm 1.8 S. Here's my initial impressions...
The viewfinder is outstanding, very much like the Leica Q, but better. The build quality is also excellent with almost perfect ergonomics like the Hasselblad X1D. The MF 50mm 1.2 Ai-s is so much easier to use because of the ability to zoom in and focus right off the sensor, so I would imagine that adapted manual lenses should be stellar on this camera. The new Z AF 50mm 1.8 S is extremely sharp and absolutely silent in use. I was amazed at the quality of images and tried specifically to incite CA with backlit subjects and using f/1.8, but couldn't find any chromatic aberrations at all using the S lens. Even the MF 50mm 1.2 was simply outstanding in it's sharpness and color. One thing I did notice when shooting with the new Z 50mm 1.8 S lens, was in two sequential images I switched from MF to AF and the WB changed slightly from cool to warm. The images were taken just seconds apart, but showed the slight temp differential nonetheless. That was the only oddity so far, but i'll try to shoot some portraits using strobes to see if that WB shift occurs when switching from MF to AF in the studio. If Nikon would announce the upcoming 85mm 1.8 S, it would fill a gap for needed native primes lenses and round out the trio nicely.