The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 Photos and Discussions

Thorkil

Darin,
Can the Z6 download images from camera to computer if there's no XQD reader? Any experience with the 50mm 1.8? Thanks.
I got the Sony XQD reader with USB 3.1, some few days ago, its small and very fast (but then I forgot to put the card back in when walking today, found out when I got home - there is just a tiny red warning sign in the upper left part of the EVF/screen, hard to notice, and when I'm out with the Z7 I don't check out the pictures (only sometimes on my X-T2/3), I'm in 100% faith with it - so remember the card, the rest its almost done for you by that little marvel...)

Darin Marcus

I'm demoing the Z6 and tried the MF Nikon 50mm 1.2 Ai-s with FTZ adapter and the Nikon Nikkor AF 50 mm 1.8 S. Here's my initial impressions...
The viewfinder is outstanding, very much like the Leica Q, but better. The build quality is also excellent with almost perfect ergonomics like the Hasselblad X1D. The MF 50mm 1.2 Ai-s is so much easier to use because of the ability to zoom in and focus right off the sensor, so I would imagine that adapted manual lenses should be stellar on this camera. The new Z AF 50mm 1.8 S is extremely sharp and absolutely silent in use. I was amazed at the quality of images and tried specifically to incite CA with backlit subjects and using f/1.8, but couldn't find any chromatic aberrations at all using the S lens. Even the MF 50mm 1.2 was simply outstanding in it's sharpness and color. One thing I did notice when shooting with the new Z 50mm 1.8 S lens, was in two sequential images I switched from MF to AF and the WB changed slightly from cool to warm. The images were taken just seconds apart, but showed the slight temp differential nonetheless. That was the only oddity so far, but i'll try to shoot some portraits using strobes to see if that WB shift occurs when switching from MF to AF in the studio. If Nikon would announce the upcoming 85mm 1.8 S, it would fill a gap for needed native primes lenses and round out the trio nicely.
Thanks for posting your impressions.

Curious thing with the WB - I am wondering if the AWB is sensitive to the focus point in the Zs (in case you slightly moved the camera during the shots - or was it on a tripod?)

I think that the Z lenses released so far are better than the specs would let us believe. The kit lens resolves enough details for the Z6 sensor - not sure about the Z7 one.

Darin Marcus

I got the Sony XQD reader with USB 3.1, some few days ago, its small and very fast (but then I forgot to put the card back in when walking today, found out when I got home - there is just a tiny red warning sign in the upper left part of the EVF/screen, hard to notice, and when I'm out with the Z7 I don't check out the pictures (only sometimes on my X-T2/3), I'm in 100% faith with it - so remember the card, the rest its almost done for you by that little marvel...)
Yikes! I am sorry you lost all the photos from the walk...

I got the Sony XQD/SD reader with my Z6 - no problems with it so far.
I understand that ProGrade Digital announced at CES 2019 that they are working on CFexpress - supposedly using a Nikon Z camera with a beta firmware... The release seems to be closer that I thought, but I do not plan to get a CFexpress card too soon :D

sc_john

... I forgot to put the card back in when walking today, found out when I got home - there is just a tiny red warning sign in the upper left part of the EVF/screen, hard to notice,
I feel your pain. I did the same with my new Z. I found the following solution: Menu > Setup Menu > Slot Empty Release Lock... " If Release locked is selected, the shutter-release button is only enabled when a memory card is inserted in the camera."

John

Thorkil

Thanks for posting your impressions.

Curious thing with the WB - I am wondering if the AWB is sensitive to the focus point in the Zs (in case you slightly moved the camera during the shots - or was it on a tripod?)

I think that the Z lenses released so far are better than the specs would let us believe. The kit lens resolves enough details for the Z6 sensor - not sure about the Z7 one.
I'm convinced that the kitlens will do fine at 100% crops on the Z7 too, I just have to unpack it some day... :)

jdphoto

One thing I've noticed with the Z6 is that my computer (OS 10.14.2 Mojave) always locks up when turning on the camera for download. My XQD card reader should be here soon, but until then it's a bit frustrating having to re-set each time I download. Also, Having to convert to tiff's to use LR is a bit of a hog on my HD as there's no NEF support for Z's on my version of LR. This would be daunting with hundreds of pics from a shoot!
I did shoot with this Z6 outdoors for several hours in 8 degree/f (that's -13/ C) pretty chilly, but it worked perfectly. Now as I wait for my D810 to get back from Nikon (long exposure recall), I have to say i'm really liking this set up. Now, do I keep the D810 too? Hmm, still deciding.

Last edited:

pegelli

Also, Having to convert to tiff's to use LR is a bit of a hog on my HD as there's no NEF support for Z's on my version of LR.
Would it be a suggestion to convert to dng's (using the latest Adobe dng converter). They're usually smaller than tif's and the files remain "raw" so give you more options to PP.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Would it be a suggestion to convert to dng's (using the latest Adobe dng converter). They're usually smaller than tif's and the files remain "raw" so give you more options to PP.
This is what I did a few years ago when running an older version of PS, and it worked very well. Adobe's DNG converter has a batch function that will convert complete folders from any RAW format to DNG while you are having Champagne and caviar. Or beer and pizza? I believe the DNG converter is still free of charge, the beer and Champagne unfortunately not.

As Pegelli points out, you get much more and better functionality with RAW files in ACR than with tiff files.

jdphoto

Unfortunately, my version of LR (6.14) supports Camera Raw 10.1 The Z 6/7 requires an upgrade to 8.1 and 11.1 for Camera Raw, but thank you for the suggestions. I guess it's time for me to bundle a subscription as I'd like to use PS and Portfolio. It's been a while since I upgraded.

pegelli

Unfortunately, my version of LR (6.14) supports Camera Raw 10.1 The Z 6/7 requires an upgrade to 8.1 and 11.1 for Camera Raw, but thank you for the suggestions. I guess it's time for me to bundle a subscription as I'd like to use PS and Portfolio. It's been a while since I upgraded.
If you follow the link Jorgen posted above you'll see that if you convert your NEF's to DNG (using the latest Adobe DNG converter) then LR 6.14 will open these DNG files.

It's a small "gesture" by Adobe for people using older versions of LR or PS with newer cameras.

Thorkil

JD, you could also consider try using the C1 Pro 12 version, which is a strong solution, and the only one I am using.'
thorkil