The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 Photos and Discussions

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You didn't answer my question: Why sick?

Just repeating what you said will only convince yourself :LOL:
Just because I find doing so sick!

But maybe one of the most important reasons is that IMO one should stay within one system without adapting too much if possible. Why if I had FE lenses would I want to adapt to a Nikon Z body? I would buy either a Sony Axyz camera where FE lenses work best or stay in the Nikon ecosystem and in best case adapt "old" Nikon glass to the Z-mount. By doing so I would avoid a ton of negative issues that could come up while mixing systems too much.

So for some people this game of adapting seems to be great - well then that is ok - but I reserve the freedom of finding this sick (or would you not call it sick if you move yourself voluntarily into troubles).

What is your reason for finding this normal?

pegelli

Just because I find doing so sick!

But maybe one of the most important reasons is that IMO one should stay within one system without adapting too much if possible. Why if I had FE lenses would I want to adapt to a Nikon Z body? I would buy either a Sony Axyz camera where FE lenses work best or stay in the Nikon ecosystem and in best case adapt "old" Nikon glass to the Z-mount. By doing so I would avoid a ton of negative issues that could come up while mixing systems too much.

So for some people this game of adapting seems to be great - well then that is ok - but I reserve the freedom of finding this sick (or would you not call it sick if you move yourself voluntarily into troubles).

What is your reason for finding this normal?
Sorry to upset you Peter, I can fully understand why you don't want or don't like it. I have no problem with that. However by calling it "sick" you also seem (at least to me) disapprove of the idea in general for others and not just for yourself.

I never said I find the idea "normal" so I can't answer your question because it's the wrong question.
You might have asked why I don't find the idea "sick" and the reason for that is that as long as there are people enjoying developing and using these systems I will gladly let them without disapproving their idea in general, even if I don't like it or will not use it.

I also don't call the FTZ adapter "sick", even though 75% of Nikon's AF lenses don't autofocus with it, that's also a fact many people "voluntarily" overlook.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sorry to upset you Peter, I can fully understand why you don't want or don't like it. I have no problem with that. However by calling it "sick" you also seem (at least to me) disapprove of the idea in general for others and not just for yourself.

I never said I find the idea "normal" so I can't answer your question because it's the wrong question.
You might have asked why I don't find the idea "sick" and the reason for that is that as long as there are people enjoying developing and using these systems I will gladly let them without disapproving their idea in general, even if I don't like it or will not use it.

I also don't call the FTZ adapter "sick", even though 75% of Nikon's AF lenses don't autofocus with it, that's also a fact many people "voluntarily" overlook.
All good as long as you (or whoever enjoys that game). For me it is a no go and honestly actually sick to do something where I know (or can be pretty sure) I will get into issues. Knowing that and still doing it is ... well sick for me. But call it whatever you want, this is ok for me.

But again - you should not be bothered by doing what you want just because I think it is sick. If I offended you by saying so I do apologise, that was never my intention, but in the end it will not change the way I think about it.

pegelli

No need to aplogise Peter, I'm not easily offended (if I were Internet fora are a hazardous place to be around) and I wasn't offended by your posts in any way. I was just trying to understand you better. I found your reaction to call this new adapter "sick" a bit strong for a harmless piece of equipment. As I understand it now you're more of a purist and any adapter that leads to "issues" is "sick" (for you), so it would equally apply to all the AF adapters that have been developed in the past, including the Metabones, Techart, Sony and Nikon adapters to name a few.

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion and even while I don't intend to use this new one (I don't see a Nikon Z in my future) I applaud the effort people put into developing these things. I find it positive that photographers have options they can choose from and while I agree none of these adapters are fault free I can see that for many people the advantages will outweigh the downsides.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
No need to aplogise Peter, I'm not easily offended (if I were Internet fora are a hazardous place to be around) and I wan't offended by your posts in any way. I was just trying to understand you better. I found your reaction to call this new adapter "sick" a bit strong for a harmless piece of equipment. As I understand it now you're more of a purist and any adapter that leads to "issues" is "sick" (for you), so it would equally apply to all the AF adapters that have been developed in the past, including the Metabones, Techart, Sony and Nikon adapters to name a few.

Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion and even while I don't intend to use this new one (I don't see a Nikon Z in my future) I applaud the effort people put into developing these things. I find it positive that photographers have options they can choose from and while I agree none of these adapters are fault free I can see that for many people the advantages will outweigh the downsides.
I understand where you are coming from. And I am not calling all adapters useless or sick, for example the original FTZ adapter is pretty cool. One only has to be aware that AF speed suffers and this is also true with original Nikon AF glass and this adapter.

Would I buy this adapter? Yes, because it seems to work nicely even with all the flaws and would allow me to use some of my old Nikon lenses (manual focus). Would I buy a Leica M to Z adapter? Yes, because I have so many M lenses. Would I be happy with that one? Not sure as I think sooner or later I would run into issues resulting from the not M-lens optimised Z-sensor.

So this is actually my way of thinking. But in all honesty, why would you want to use and FE lens on a Z-body? I understand you have Sony cameras, so why not use FE lenses natively?

pegelli

But in all honesty, why would you want to use and FE lens on a Z-body? I understand you have Sony cameras, so why not use FE lenses natively?
I personally wouldn't (and I said so in my previous post why that is).

But picture a former Nikon owner who jumped ship to Sony for mirrorless a few years ago and got a few native lenses but didn't sell his/her Nikon lenses (and maybe even used those adapted on the Sony E-mount body)
For those people going back to Nikon but still being able to use their E-mount lenses on their new mirrorless body, next to their old Nikon lenses via the FTZ adapter might be a path that is attractive. There aren't that many native Nikon S-mount lenses available while Sony has developed a few really good ones, so it's basically a choice between adapted F-mount lenses and adapted E-mount lenses.

Even though I can't see a use for myself I can picture how a new adapter (or other piece of equipment) can be useful to others. In my mind I find it more rewarding to look at advantages and opportunities and not so much at limitations.

V

Vivek

That wouldn’t make you “sick”! :ROTFL:

Would I buy a Leica M to Z adapter? Yes, because I have so many M lenses. Would I be happy with that one? Not sure as I think sooner or later I would run into issues resulting from the not M-lens optimised Z-sensor.

Darin Marcus

Getting closer with the kit lens... no cropping.

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 70mm, 1/50, f/5.6, ISO 400, -2.0 EC, VR on, EFCS off

jdphoto

Darin,
Is the auto WB and metering accurate for your use? I would be very interested in metering for portraits without exposure comp. and the ability to have accurate auto WB.

Hulyss Bowman

I will speak more about the Z6 later but to answer some questions :

• Yes the WB is accurate but it is always better to make a custom one on the spot for important works especially if mixed lightings.

• The skin tones are perfect. By default the camera is as good as the DF - D4 - D5 or D850. Cf answer 1 for further optimisations.

• Messing the settings, especially with no real understanding of those settings can lead to disapointements. Reading the manual is the key factor of succesfull operations. Their is no problem to deplete the battery few times in the menus to set and test. Factory reset is your friend.

• The autofocus in AFS have Nothing to envie to the D serie. It is hugelly customisable (speed …). AFC need some practice or a kind of anticipation. This is a camera, not a self driving car; and a camera need a photographer behind it, not an assisted. Cf answer 3 for further optimisations.

• The native lenses such as the 24-70S are extremely good, somehow better than many actual F mount primes, on par with SIGMA art, latest f1.8 Nikon primes and Zeiss. It is very very good to resolve the Z7 so no need to speak that much how it perform on the Z6. Some parameters are baked into the raws but who cares ? If the output is good I personally take it. We need to envolve.

• The FTZ adapter is efficient, focus perfect with any AFS lenses to date, manual with AFD but focus peaking is a marvelous +.

• Stabilisation work flawlessly. But again, for the Northrup, Cf answer 3 for further optimisations and proper usability.

Hulyss Bowman

Some frequently asked questions :

Can lens hood be reversed on the lens ?

Of course. It is a Nikon lens and, while the lens hood itself is flexible, their is no fear to have to clips it firmly. Just find the correct angle and insertion point (like all previous plastic Nikon lens hoods) and snap it, like a boss.

One card slot ?? Am I doomed ?

Of course… if you think so. I'm a D700 guy who shoot weedings, family stuff and commissioned works since 2011. My only card fail was a CF who felt on the floor from 2 or 3 meters. I was able to recover it few months later by just pressing on it … Still work. Bear in mind that I do not have any rescue cameras. 2 card slots is good but c'mon !! XQD card are the most reliable cards ever produced. It is quick, it is stronger and more secure than a CF. While some continue crying, I shoot. But that's just my opinion.

The XQD card is hard to extract. I fear to break something if I "force"...

Again, it is a Nikon camera. The XQD lock system is the same as SD lock system : Press to release and pull back, do not worry kitty !

When I setup my camera for external flash system, I see nothing in the EVF and it can't focus. Is it broken ??

Nope and do not worry. Just set d8 submenu on OFF and you'll see magic of electronic !

Hulyss Bowman

Some frequently asked questions 2 :

There is no battery grip for the Z's ?

No. But as far as we speak about the actual native lenses, there is no need because of the marvelous balance. If some want more juice for monstrous time laps there is a B&H kit with external battery, adapter and converter for about 180$. For the rest, just buy a second battery and you good to go.

Is that thing feel like a toy Sony camera ? Do you feel the lens catches the mechanical float when you use the focus ring ?

No. It is a Nikon camera. From a D700 user point of view I am just very happy by the solidity of this camera. Complet faith in it.

Lol, it does not record LOG internally

Mmmm… not anymore. It can. But for now you need to pay for it : https://www.eoshd.com/eoshd-z-log-nikon-z7-d850/

There is only 3 lenses for it ??

3 very good lenses yes. But there is the whole line of AFS-G lenses behind who work flawlessly. What else ?

Hulyss Bowman

Some frequently asked questions 3 :

But ...

But what ? The lens road map is perfect (almost). I concede that it lack a 70-200 f4 but so far so good. New optical formulas on the way, yummy !

… let me finish my question !!!! But… what about this 0.95 behemoth lens ??

Ha ! It is a technological demo. Nikon Like to do it once every … 20 years or so. it will be a very unique lens, probably expensive and I envy the ones who will be able to afford it !

Don't you think Canon have better lenses on the R body ?

Wait till Nikon put his 50f1.2 on the market and we will speak.

I'm a Sony shooter. Is it sane to jump on Nikon mirrorless System ?

What is insane is actually asking this kind of question. Don' t think ! DO ! But first you'll need to burn your clunky jack of all trade with his fancy coloured bayonette. Make it public on YouTube please ! Then your heart and vision will open and expend beyond what you can imagine; you will experiment a mystical rebirth.

pegelli

Amazing, I actually like the fact Nikon brought out the Z cameras, I actually like they seem to perform quite well. Competition and choices are good for all photographers.

But don't you think it's a blatant demonstration of insecurity or inferiority complex that you can't talk about the Z6/7 without taking a few digs at Sony vs. just focussing on what they do well?

Pls. realise that without Sony stepping into this game 5 years ago there would be no Nikon Z (or Canon R) today, you better be thankful for that. :lecture:

Hulyss Bowman

No guys, it is just sarcasm and fun :) ( the Zony part)

I do not care about brands. It is all about photography and gear is only the tool. But I'm tired by internet since some weeks, on many forums and YouTube channels, seeing ppl really trashing the Z cameras. Dpreview forum and comments are just a troll fest, out of control.

You see ppl asking a bunch of questions they can answer themselve if they just read the instruction manual. Internet just gone crazy and I bet it is hard for some brands to "tell the truth" without being accused of marketing strategy.

I always look at a gear like a beginner, for example someone who want to go full frame. The guy see the Z offering, is interested and then gather infos there and there … it is a mess. Behind this mess there is no conspiracy theory but the truth that some brand deploy more "ressources" to harvest market shares, pure uggly business. Paid "Reviewers" not trustworthy anymore, or reviewers you need to pay to always see the same landscape shoots or unrelated contents.

Since I tested the 3 brands, Canon R, Sony A7xx and the Z before any buying decisions, I came to the conclusion that the Z's (proper handled) are the best bang for the buck on the long run. I shoot Nikon and Nikon isn't flawless. The Z is more a tank than the D600, D610, DF, D750. In the hands it is almost like a D700/ D850 and this is something important. It is a "tank sans mirror". And when you do everything with your camera this is one big of a key factor.

The Sony A9 come close but the price is falcon heavy league (and I continue to have hard time with Sony menus). For this price one can be tempted to wait a little bit more and jump Medium Format with the fuji.

A lot of my friends are sony users and no, I do not bash their choice (but they lurk at the Z) ;)