The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 Photos and Discussions

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hope that is not the official Nikon thinking. Camera business is a tech business.

It is imperative that it should stay at the forefront.

XQD is bleeding edge tech. Only it is not warranted on the Zs
Any business is tech business these days. That doesn't mean that the most advanced tech get the highest sales figures, particularly as technologies mature. Just look at Canon, the ILC market leader with more sales than Nikon and Sony combined.

XQD was announced in 2012. It's almost as old as vinyl. :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Canon is also much larger consumer company.

XQD is singular and cutting edge!

It will hurt Z sales as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Do you truly believe that without Sony Nikon would have never released a FF mirrorless camera?
They would have started later than now - so yes I believe that Sony (and Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji) are responsible for the mirrorless revolution - Sony of course mostly for the FF mirrorless revolution!

Thorkil

On the other side I shot Nikon throughout most parts of my photography life and while it was not only a love relationship whenever I came back it was like coming home - if you know what I mean. I am now completely out of any Nikon cameras and lenses (except a AA conditioned F3 and FM2 bodies and some manual lenses) but am seriously looking of getting back into this system.
I know exactly what you mean, Peter! The most effective camera I ever had was a D3, I could do everything silly and hasty with it, and I could always get a good picture out of it. Reading reviews of the Z7 made me think that "the weight" of its fault was supposed to be about 30-40% of the total package - but reality, for me, is that the faults count in a "weight" at only 1% or just a half, and in reality it doesn't matter to me, and the feeling in practice is that its just so solid in its psychics and performance in such a strong way, that by just reading, these huge quality's seems unexplored or underestimated - one just have to have it in the hands and do some walking - while its an eye-opener to feel and handle it.
And I'm telling myself, being "at home" now, not to fall into the ditch again, dreaming of things around the next corner (the GFX50R was a hasty thought/dream passing through), while age learn you that dreams never fulfill totally, while we almost put life-saving-capability in the gear we dream of (and get frustrated). So the closest thing for me will be the Z7 (yes the Z6 could also have done it). My X-T2/3 looks a tiny bit nicer, shape- and charmingwise, but hasn't got this huge simplicity, capacity and rocksolid way to serve me as the Z, in a package that won't be a burden for life, and it's just so f... effective at the same time. Will I be bored by the effectiveness like I did with the D3? No, I really don't think so. And the new 14-30/4S will be so tiny, compared to the 14-24 (and the Tamron 15-30), so in my head, it will feel almost(well just 1070gram total) like a pocket-camera carrying around, in the hand or in my smallest slingbag (Tamrac 3442 rally)

A7iii vs Z6

A7rii vs Z7

All use BSI CMOS sensors.

A7ii is no match for the Z6.
True, the sensors in the Z's are better than the ii series.
Duh. The Sony A7ii and A7Rii were introduced in 2015 and were superseded by the A7iii and A7Riii a year before before the Z6/Z7 were released. I think it is fair to say that Nikon is late to the game. The Z6/Z7 are nice cameras but comparing them to old Sony technology seems a bit desperate.

pegelli

Brand bickering is so tiresome. Show me your photos and then we'll talk cameras.
Agree, it's just a tool. But I do come to this thread mainly to look at the many nice photo's Darin has posted here (and some others). That's also the main reason why I visit all brand fora here on GetDPI, a good image is a good image and for me it doesn't matter what equipment is used to make it. I just wished the brand agnostic section was more active, but until it is I use the "What's New?" option from the top menu and go wherever I find good photo's or interesting discussions.

Agree, it's just a tool. But I do come to this thread mainly to look at the many nice photo's Darin has posted here (and some others). That's also the main reason why I visit all brand fora here on GetDPI, a good image is a good image and for me it doesn't matter what equipment is used to make it. I just wished the brand agnostic section was more active, but until it is I use the "What's New?" option from the top menu and go wherever I find good photo's or interesting discussions.
Yeah, but posting images in a manufacturer forum seems a bit silly. I've yet to see an image in the Nikon forum that couldn't have been taken with a Canon and vice versa. Nobody would notice the difference if I started surreptitiously posting Fuji images in the Nikon forum for example. So what's the point.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yeah, but posting images in a manufacturer forum seems a bit silly. I've yet to see an image in the Nikon forum that couldn't have been taken with a Canon and vice versa. Nobody would notice the difference if I started posting Fuji images in the Nikon forum.
Maybe you are right - but why would you like to destroy the meaning of the threads here just to proof you are right in whatever ......

Maybe you are right - but why would you like to destroy the meaning of the threads here just to proof you are right in whatever ......
What meaning is that? That someone has a Nikon camera and took a picture he could have taken with any camera. I don't get the reason for any of the "Fun with..." threads other than to let everyone know that you own a particular brand camera.

pegelli

Yeah, but posting images in a manufacturer forum seems a bit silly. I've yet to see an image in the Nikon forum that couldn't have been taken with a Canon and vice versa. Nobody would notice the difference if I started surreptitiously posting Fuji images in the Nikon forum for example.
I don't think it's silly, it's the way the site is set up and used. It's also a free site which means I as a user will try to conform with the owners request to post my images in the right forum. I agree that especially at internet posting size it's near impossible to distinguish between brands, but that is for me no reason to try and "prove" that point. Btw, I do think I can see the difference between different sensor sizes, allthough I don't think my score would be 100% if there was a blind test.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What meaning is that? That someone has a Nikon camera and took a picture he could have taken with any camera. I don't get the reason for any of the "Fun with..." threads other than to let everyone know that you own a particular brand camera.
I am almost sure you know what I mean!

1) You know that you do not have to read the threads you do not like?!

2) You hopefully also know that it is not mandatory for you to visit this forum at all if you do not like?!

3) So as it is all voluntary you have all the freedom to just ignore whatever you like!

I am almost sure you know what I mean!

1) You know that you do not have to read the threads you do not like?!

2) You hopefully also know that it is not mandatory for you to visit this forum at all if you do not like?!

3) So as it is all voluntary you have all the freedom to just ignore whatever you like!
I follow this thread for the discussion. I don't look at any of the "Fun with..." (aka "Here's a random photo...") threads.

Darin Marcus

Yes, spec-wise the Z6 looks like an A7ii w/o eye-AF, the Z7 like a A7rii w/o eye AF. That tells me enough (especially since they now promised eye-AF in their firmware update)
The specs do look similar, but it is hard to come up with a significantly different spec list given the features of the D8x0 series and those of the Nikon 1 series from which Nikon is transitioning. Part of the team that worked on Nikon 1 continued their work on the Z series. Although Nikon 1 was not a commercial success, Nikon experimented with many technologies there (and some of them have yet to be transitioned to the Z series).

For example, Nikon pioneered* the "hybrid AF" which successfully combined contrast-detect with on-sensor PD - it was the first implementation in a MILC. For many years after that, Nikon 1 cameras remained the best in MILCs at tracking (erratic) action. I am sure that Nikon will further improve the AF capabilities of the Z series to bring them up to speed with the competition, and will do that sooner than many expect.

As for Eye-AF, I don't believe that Nikon is willingly copying Sony - its the people that screamed for this feature on the internet and through other channels that made Nikon do it.

When it comes to timing, I agree that Sony influenced that a lot. I believe that Nikon would have released a FF (or an APS-C) mirrorless camera in a couple more years anyway, but Sony forced them to move faster. The first Z cameras do seem a bit rushed.

Nikon has been in a cost cutting and production simplification mode for many years now. When they released the first Nikon 1 cameras they talked about the reduction in the number of required parts that they were able to do compared to their other DSLRs at the time, as well as the reduction in manufacturing/assembly costs. It was only a matter of time until they would have switched their other lines to mirrorless for this reason alone.

But, without Sony, they would have probably started with the APS-C line and then FF, and possibly with the consumer cameras first, then enthusiast, and finally their pro cameras.... Would have, could have, should have.... who knows.

In any case, just to repeat what I said when the Zs were announced - I am not onboard for the cameras, but for the new mount and its promise of better optics. So far I don't consider that promise to have been fulfilled, even though the first 3 lenses have some very good reviews. I expect the best is yet to come, after the optical engineers get some time to test the boundaries of the new mount. I am looking forward to see how the announced 24-70mm f/2.8 S measures up.

* I know that Fujifilm was the first to release cameras with hybrid AF in July 2010. But their implementation wasn't so good, it was in P&S cameras with fixed lens, and by that time Nikon was already working on their solution which they released one year later with the V1 and J1.

Darin Marcus

Also lacking in the Zs are the second card slot and even a single SD card slot.

XQD card, though it is Sony technology, is expensive for what it does especially in the Zs.

Nikon will eventually move to a better AF and SD cards and such. The next generation Zs will be much better for sure. :)
I do not believe that Nikon will go back to using SD cards in future Z cameras, except maybe in the consumer line (if there will be such a thing). For the enthusiast and pro cameras in the Z line I expect them to fully embrace CFexpress. Some of the cameras will have dual CFexpress slots ;)

Darin Marcus

Thank you for the nice comment!

I have a few more tests to do with the Z6, about which I will post here (AF-C, once the cold goes away and things start moving and flying here again, and the Smithsonian Zoo re-opens; and the movie capabilities of the Z6), and then I will go back to posting in the PAW thread and its siblings :D

Most of the photos I posted here were related to testing the camera and the kit lens - how well the IBIS works, what about WB, is there any coma with the 24-70mm f/4 S, how about close-ups with the kit lens, and most importantly - how does "purple" look in Z6 pictures :)