The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

I follow this thread for the discussion.
That was my reason for creating a separate thread from the "Fun with Nikon Z" and and putting "and Discussions" in the title.
Although now I am thinking of changing it to "Nikon Z6 Photos, Videos and Discussions" :D

Video was one of the reasons I bought the Z6. I haven't had time to play with the movie features but I definitely plan to experiment with that, and post my comments here.

Video was one of the reasons I bought the Z6. I haven't had time to play with the movie features but I definitely plan to experiment with that, and post my comments here.
I have zero interest in video. Fortunately, I don't have to earn a living as a photographer as it is now a required skill.

V

Vivek

I consider myself a consumer. Of late, I wait for prices to drop to 60% of the debut price or buy grey imports or buy used or even fixer uppers.

The cost of cards is huge factor in foregoing the Zs for me. There is absolutely no advantage for me to go to XQD or CFexpress.

I do not believe that Nikon will go back to using SD cards in future Z cameras, except maybe in the consumer line (if there will be such a thing). For the enthusiast and pro cameras in the Z line I expect them to fully embrace CFexpress. Some of the cameras will have dual CFexpress slots ;)

jdphoto

Hy JD,

I went with the Z6 for two reasons, the first being the price and second the file size.
The kit price with FTZ and 24-70 is very attractive and you do not feel neutered when you leave the store.
The file size is optimal for my use and I remembrer some Leica engineers saying that 24mpx is the best compromise in 24x36 and that they won't go after more pixel in the M system.

Also, the Z6 sensor is the same tech as the Z7 (BSI cmos sensor) and it is just very very good. Less pixels is also less error in action and, in the case of the Z6, much better video. ISO are close to D5 level ; it is a true adventurer camera. The fact that the two Z are exactelly the same build made me jump (I would never have bought the Z6 if it was less rugged than the Z7). So, except if you want to print large walls,ISO 64 and massive cropping, the Z6 is as efficient IQ wize than the Z7.

I just seen the 50f1.8S review and yea, this one might join dady this summer.

An another review from a respectable man: https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/nikon-50-1-8-s-otus-55-on-z7-zony-55-on-a7riii/

As for WB and portrait, I never really trust cameras. I always build a custom WB on the spot or place a grey card somewhere in the frame that I clone out in post. That being said the only tricky situation might be mixed lightings, for example day light from a windows and incandescent. In this case, custom WB is mandatory imho. If you are not familiar with custom WB you might start to train. With time it became a reflex and you'll be confident with almost all scenarios.
Hulyss,
I've briefly used the 50mm 1.8S and it's incredibly sharp, weather sealed and fairly light. I agree the file size and 24mp are a kind of sweet spot for most lenses and forgiving of user error, especially with portraits. However, I'm tempted by the Z7 because of the ability to crop in. Also, you can scale down the Raw file to be more forgiving on your hard drive too. Here's a great read on a teardown of the Nikon Z7. My assumption is that the Z6 is built with the same tolerances and weather sealing as the Z7.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/10/teardown-of-the-nikon-z7-mirrorless-camera/

Hulyss Bowman

Hulyss,
I've briefly used the 50mm 1.8S and it's incredibly sharp, weather sealed and fairly light. I agree the file size and 24mp are a kind of sweet spot for most lenses and forgiving of user error, especially with portraits. However, I'm tempted by the Z7 because of the ability to crop in. Also, you can scale down the Raw file to be more forgiving on your hard drive too. Here's a great read on a teardown of the Nikon Z7. My assumption is that the Z6 is built with the same tolerances and weather sealing as the Z7.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/10/teardown-of-the-nikon-z7-mirrorless-camera/
JD,
You might rent both to make your choice. 3 or 4 days with the cameras and you'll probably have a choice.

Hulyss Bowman

I do not believe that Nikon will go back to using SD cards in future Z cameras, except maybe in the consumer line (if there will be such a thing). For the enthusiast and pro cameras in the Z line I expect them to fully embrace CFexpress. Some of the cameras will have dual CFexpress slots ;)
I agrea with this. XQD and CFexpress are just as good as they claim. In video it is an another world, ssd level, and that is usefull. This also enable high bitrate internal video recording. As a reminder, Andrew Reid already provide a state of the art internal LOG and LUT for the Z6 and Z7.

The next update will bring eye AF, CFexpress support. With the EOS HD log, no real need of the external recorder.

Also here is a list of prices :

Z6 : $1,996.95

FTZ : $146.95

24-70 : $996.95

64GB XQD : $120.00

Grand total of $3260.95

All of this as a kit >>>> $2,746.90

Bargain. It is a great way to envolve. On 128GB CFexpress on top of that and we are good to go for many years.

PeterA

Ha! Almost all the snaps I have seen so far requires a card speed of 1 picture per10s at the most!
It is all about the requirements of video capture. What manufacturers re packing into cameras these days you had to pay tens of thousands of dollars for only a few years ago in (so called) dedicated video camera set-ups. Beginners want the speed in camera that dedicated capture devices provide for pro rigs.

Darin Marcus

I consider myself a consumer. Of late, I wait for prices to drop to 60% of the debut price or buy grey imports or buy used or even fixer uppers.

The cost of cards is huge factor in foregoing the Zs for me. There is absolutely no advantage for me to go to XQD or CFexpress.
The cost of XQD cards is higher that it should be because of the few number of manufacturers.
I expect more to produce CFexpress cards which will lead to reduced prices... hopefully...:D

Darin Marcus

Here is an example of the "Natural light auto" WB in action. The photo was taken on December 24, 2018 after 2pm in the Meadowlark Botanical Gardens of Vienna, Virginia. I kept the WB as recorded by the camera (converted in Nikon Capture NX-D).

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 38mm, 1/320, f/5.6, ISO 100

Thorkil

Vivek, just hurry up and see if you can find a dealer with the 64 Gb XQD for free, I got it for free, but perhaps its too late.
But on the other hand, its an investment for life, while, when you get it you will be so happy that you even will sleep with it in your hand, I'm sure.:D
So don't worry...be happy :grin:
Best Thorkil

Thorkil

I found an open box Z7, no shutter actuations for $1000 off from new. What gives?
Yes I would go for it too, if guaranty is not affected. I would think, you will not get disappointing.

But on the other hand the kit will save you a lot if you later will have the adapter and/or the 24-70/4S

Photon42

The cost of a card compared to the system investment is negligible. My Z7 came with one 64GB card at no additional cost. Also consider you do not have to buy two cards, as the Z6/7 only as one slot :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

FWIW, I have ~4 cards (64GB) for each camera I use. The 42mp cams have 128GB cards.

They aren’t that expensive compared to the one 500MB Microdrive (CF card) I bought for my Nikon DSLR, a long while back.