The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 Photos and Discussions

Thorkil

I do hope its not because Vivek has been banned?
While this would be a shame, while he is creating life around this Forum, and is filled with energy which are giving a very positive influence viewed in a total.
I don't want silence to win, while activity is foremost the energy which makes us live. Perhaps "too much" activity can provoke but that is often a misjudgement caused by something you might be able to analyse as a selfish perspective in our own mind. People who create life are also putting their head out in the wind, sometimes in a storm, but that's in the same time a willingness to take a risk, that can have a price.
To speak out in the community is a sort of personal risk, that has to be rewarded in a proper way by being mental spacious (I'm not talking about a certain president who perhaps might be better off by learning to behave) - else silence will win. Speech is silver and silence is gold - sometimes - but here I think its the other way around.
So if I'm right, my call to the moderators are to invite Vivek back again, while everything else seems to me being wrong.
(Perhaps I have misunderstood everything)
Thorkil

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

No cropping on this one - just moved closer and closer, very slowly...

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 70mm, 1/640, f/4, ISO 100

jdphoto

Thanks Darin for the link.
It seems many really like the Z's and perhaps with the upcoming firmware upgrade, it'll address some of the issues with the AF tracking. One thing I did notice when demoing the Z6 was that the sensor does indeed get dirty. I know this is not unique to the Z, as any mirrorless will be susceptible to dust, but I did notice lots of dust when I specifically looked for it while shooting at f/16. Hopefully, Nikon Z's have a "clean mode" to lock the sensor as it's sits on a 5 point gimble. (I didn't read the manual). You certainly don't want to move that around if you need to swab the sensor.
I like the Z6 a lot. It's build quality ergonomics etc. Although, I have become accustomed to no OLPF, and I think 24mp is just perfect up to 16x20, but bigger prints might need the extra resolution to "future proof" my printing needs. I did find a Z7 open box for $1000 off as mentioned before, but the price is just too good. I asked if this was a gray market camera and they said no.It comes with a full manufactures warranty and is as new as can be. They said they have a lot of Z7's, so can make drastic price reductions, but almost 30% off retail is insane? Right? They are a Nikon NPD dealer, so I guess it's legit. Even B&H's used Z7 prices are well north of this open box special. It's so tempting...ahh. I feel like poster boy for cognitive dissonance.

Darin Marcus

It seems many really like the Z's and perhaps with the upcoming firmware upgrade, it'll address some of the issues with the AF tracking. One thing I did notice when demoing the Z6 was that the sensor does indeed get dirty. I know this is not unique to the Z, as any mirrorless will be susceptible to dust, but I did notice lots of dust when I specifically looked for it while shooting at f/16. Hopefully, Nikon Z's have a "clean mode" to lock the sensor as it's sits on a 5 point gimble. (I didn't read the manual). You certainly don't want to move that around if you need to swab the sensor.
I believe that both the Z6 and the Z7 lock the sensor when you turn the camera off.

I like the Z6 a lot. It's build quality ergonomics etc. Although, I have become accustomed to no OLPF, and I think 24mp is just perfect up to 16x20, but bigger prints might need the extra resolution to "future proof" my printing needs. I did find a Z7 open box for $1000 off as mentioned before, but the price is just too good. I asked if this was a gray market camera and they said no.It comes with a full manufactures warranty and is as new as can be. They said they have a lot of Z7's, so can make drastic price reductions, but almost 30% off retail is insane? Right? They are a Nikon NPD dealer, so I guess it's legit. Even B&H's used Z7 prices are well north of this open box special. It's so tempting...ahh. I feel like poster boy for cognitive dissonance.
I don't know what to say about this. It seems too good to be true...
I am keeping my D810 (for now) so that takes care of the high resolution photos. I personally don't print that large to need more than 36MP, but I understand that other people will need all the pixels they can get - perfectly normal :)

Darin Marcus

Not the usual portrait, but still a glimpse of skin rendering with Natural light auto WB and center weighted metering with no exposure compensation. Changed from Neutral Picture Control to Portrait in Capture NX-D.

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 70mm, 1/60, f/4, ISO 100

Darin Marcus

I've switched my camera to AF-C/Dynamic-area/AF-ON/Continuous L (3 frames). However, for this photo I pre-focused on the hand :)

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 70mm, 1/500, f/4, ISO 100

I'm going to need more practice....

Darin Marcus

From the same session, this time focusing on the gull and following it with the camera for a few seconds. d8 set to On. Cropped.

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 70mm, 1/640, f/4, ISO 100

Darin Marcus

I'm up to about 8,000 frames on this thing now for ski season alone. Today was cold, started the day out at -10F and got up to a high of 2F. The camera was out in the elements most of the day, just under 1,000 shots on 1/3rd of a battery.

The Z6 with the 24-70S is by far the best ski rig I have ever used, even with the occasional expletive flying when fumbling in handling it with ski gloves on.
Nice!!

Darin Marcus

Batmobile @ Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington DC:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 70mm, 1/125, f/4, ISO 1600

Darin Marcus

The first firmware update for the Z6 is now available at https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/315.html

The official change list mentions only bug fixes:
- When On is selected for HDMI > Advanced > N-Log setting in the SETUP MENU, Maximum sensitivity now takes effect during movie recording if:
-- the camera is in mode P (programmed auto), S (shutter-priority auto), or A (aperture-priority auto), or
-- the camera is in mode M (manual) and On is selected for ISO sensitivity settings > Auto ISO control (mode M) in the MOVIE SHOOTING MENU.

- Fixed an issue that resulted in third-party software showing an incorrect value for the Exif 35 mm format equivalent focal length field for photographs taken with a non-CPU lens connected via an FTZ mount adapter with the focal length specified using the Non-CPU lens data item in the SETUP MENU.

- Fixed an issue that resulted in photographs taken using radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting being overexposed if a face was detected with Auto-area AF selected for AF-area mode.

- Fixed an issue that resulted in an incorrect aperture being selected in mode P (programmed auto) with a flash mounted on the camera under conditions in which f/32 would normally be selected.

- Fixed an issue which prevented flash units controlled via radio Advanced Wireless Lighting syncing with shutter speeds of 1/100 s or faster with:
-- On selected for Flicker reduction shooting in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU and
-- Enable selected for Custom Setting d5 (Electronic front-curtain shutter) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.

The Z7 also got a similar firmware update at https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/314.html

Hat tip to NikonRumors.

Darin Marcus

An example of Closest Subject Priority focus using Wide Area (small).
The focus frame covered part of the seat (front), part of the upper right front leg (of the chair), and part of the house wall behind (between the right armrest and the seat).
The camera chose to focus on the closest part (the seat), even though the wall behind has a lighter tone.

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 62mm, 1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 100

Darin Marcus

Yesterday at the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington D.C.:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 70mm, 1/25, f/5.6, ISO 800, VR On

Got as close as the AF would let me, and framed the shot on the LCD :D
Small crop from left and bottom.

jdphoto

Darin, Your pics show just how versatile the Z can be. 1/25th of a second hand held? Nicely done. I recently compared two images I took with both the Z7 and Z6. The images were so close in sharpness that that I was questioning my decision to go with the Z7. There were differences, but only when looking at 100%. I do crop a lot, so that will be of some benefit, but the Z6 is really good as is.

Darin Marcus

Darin, Your pics show just how versatile the Z can be. 1/25th of a second hand held? Nicely done. I recently compared two images I took with both the Z7 and Z6. The images were so close in sharpness that that I was questioning my decision to go with the Z7. There were differences, but only when looking at 100%. I do crop a lot, so that will be of some benefit, but the Z6 is really good as is.
Thank you JD!

The IBIS in Z6 is very good (I can't say anything about the Z7 only because I have not tried it). I've got sharp photos handheld at 1/8 secs. I found some weird thing going on at around 1/100 secs as I showed previously in this thread, so with the 24-70 f/4 S I turn VR off when above 1/80 secs.

For higher resolution I have (and will keep) the D810, so I decided to go with the Z6 for the Z mount. With the D810 I only use primes, but with the Z6 I will probably use only zooms (I will go with the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 eventually). The only prime exception will be a macro Z lens if/when Nikon announces one. I don't need 1:1 - 1:2 will be good enough. With the 24-70 f/4 S I am missing some of the closeups I can get with the D810 + 60mm f/2.8 G.