The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Two quick street grabs from Old Town Alexandria, Virginia.
Natural Light AWB, as shot.

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 61mm, 1/50, f/5.6, ISO 100

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/4 S @ 64mm, 1/30, f/5.6, ISO 200

Paratom

Reading this review of the Z6-sensor and the one of the Z7 indicates the Z7 to not only have more MP but also slightly better color and dynamic range at the lower ISO setting, while the Z6 shows less noise at higher ISO (what was clear).

I expected a little less detail due to AA filter, but I assume at least the same DR and color quality as the Z7 sensor at lower ISO.
What do you think?

Darin Marcus

I expected a little less detail due to AA filter, but I assume at least the same DR and color quality as the Z7 sensor at lower ISO.
What do you think?
It seems that the Z6 has a weaker AA filter than we expected.

I believe that the DR difference can be explained by the availability of ISO 64 on the Z7. The dynamic range measurements at PhotonsToPhotos (Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting) show that the Z6 and the Z7 have practically the same value at ISO 100, but then the Z7 has more at the "real" ISO 64.

Paratom

Now since I dived into the Z6 I need to figur out how to post process. I do use LR. Looks like the adobe color, adobe std. and sometimes adobe portrait are a better starting point than the embedded Nikon profile. Any good links/tips how to handle Nikon files in LR?

Darin Marcus

Now since I dived into the Z6 I need to figur out how to post process. I do use LR. Looks like the adobe color, adobe std. and sometimes adobe portrait are a better starting point than the embedded Nikon profile. Any good links/tips how to handle Nikon files in LR?
Congrats on your new camera!

Unfortunately, I am not able to help with the LR processing because I only use Capture NX-D to convert my Z6 NEFs. Hopefully others will share their Z6 - LR experiences...

jlancasterd

I use the Adobe standard colour profile in LR as it seems to produce the most natural-looking colour.

Darin Marcus

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 34mm, 1/125, f/8, ISO 200

Replaced my f/4 with the new f/2.8 yesterday. Then the weather changed... :D

I can still walk around with this combo in one hand, but it's very close to the limit.
The Auto Distortion correction can be turned off in Capture NX-D for this lens.
The hood clicks into place, and a small button must be pressed to unlock it.

I hope to play with it some more in the next couple of days...

dave.gt

It occurs to me that the Z6 hits the sweet spot for all-rounder use!:):):)

This forum deserves a LOT more postings of Z6 images for all to enjoy.

Along that line of thought, where is the "Fun with Z7 Images" thread? This was started months ago but has fallen into a dearth of activity.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/64812-fun-nikon-z.html

Both deserve a dedicated thread and this forum needs that interaction of sharing, so come on Z6 and Z7 enthusiasts! Show us whatcha got!!!!:)

Just sayin'....;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It occurs to me that the Z6 hits the sweet spot for all-rounder use!:):):)

This forum deserves a LOT more postings of Z6 images for all to enjoy.

Along that line of thought, where is the "Fun with Z7 Images" thread? This was started months ago but has fallen into a dearth of activity.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/64812-fun-nikon-z.html

Both deserve a dedicated thread and this forum needs that interaction of sharing, so come on Z6 and Z7 enthusiasts! Show us whatcha got!!!!:)

Just sayin'....;)
Maybe there are not so many users of these cameras out there and active in this forum?

dave.gt

Maybe there are not so many users of these cameras out there and active in this forum?
Possibly true... if so, then the more reason to post a lot!

It only takes a couple of folks to get things rolling especially if enthusiasm is part of each post with helpful tips along the way ... I would certainly post almost daily if i had one.;) I really would like to see the Nikon forum thrive!:)

Spring is a great time to get started!