The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Advice: 24-120 vs 24-70

atanabe

I am open to all lenses Tamron, Sigma, Nikon, my main goal is to be portable. Now the 28-70 and 24-70 are at the top of the pyramid when it comes to image quality out of a zoom but in a very large package. I would like to keep the physical size down for two reasons, fatigue and intimidation. If the camera/lens combo is so large and heavy that you dread carrying it for extended times then it sits in a bag. If the camera/lens combo is so large that women and children run and hide, then it becomes a liability. I think the nickname for the 28-70 was "The Beast". So as with everything in life there is a balance between form and function, will I give up some image quality for portability? Yes, in a heart beat because if I don't carry a camera, I couldn't take the picture. This is why they make different cameras for different situations, Leica M8 & 28 Cron for everyday, Hassey CFV for still life and high detail work and now the D700 & ?? for walk around medium and long lens and high ISO. Now if the M8 had great high ISO and I could use it with longer focal lengths then this would be a moot exercise.

Thanks!

Amin

I haven't used the 24-120 but at one time I owned both the Nikon AF 28-105/3.5-4.5 and AF-S 24-70/2.8 for use on the D700. The 24-70 is a fantastic performer but large and heavy. The 28-105 was plenty sharp for my purposes (people photography) and has impressively low distortion. Eventually I sold it because the bokeh rendering was not to my taste. In fact, bokeh was the main reason I preferred the 24-70 to the 28-105.

I now use only primes with the D700, but if I were going to try another standard zoom, it would be the Tamron 28-75. I've seen many wonderful photos made with that lens on full frame.

L

LivingFiction

Have you considered the Nikon 28-70mm f2.8? Even though it is out of production, many mint examples are available.
I own this lens and use it often on the D700. It's become one of my favorites, and I'd highly recommend it!

atanabe

Thanks for all of your replies. After playing with several options, 24-85 AF-S (like looking through a funhouse mirror) pincushion to barrel distortion. The 24-120 VR AF-S and the 24-85 AF-D macro are viable but not desirable. I know I would be supremely happy with the optical performance on the 24-70 or 28-70 AF-S zooms, but after looking at the options my just get a 50 1.4 AF-S and carry the M8 with the 28 Cron for everyday. The weight of the 24-70 or the 28-70 is more than the M8 alone.

Once again, thank you!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Al Thats a good option. I have been using a 28/2 zeiss on a d700 and the 50/2 zf on my D3....its a sweet combination. The D3 is too big but its better for sports with the longer lenses. I don t find the D700 and a wide/normal prime as much different from the M8.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Wise move, Al. The AF-S 1.4/50 G is surprisingly sharp even wide open and it only weighs 280 g.