The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OVF vs EVF

I'm 100% EVF.

After using the Leicaflex SL, the OVF of DSLR viewfinders never impressed me. A good EVF isn't as pleasant a view as the Leicaflex but it's far more functional.
What Doug wrote X 3, and especially for birds and distant subjects. The magnified view with an EVF provides critical focus as no OVF ever has or will. It all depends on the task at hand. For fashion or similar subjects the clarity of a good OVF might be preferable, but for my needs (hummingbirds, cranes, distant waves, underwater macro) I've found an EVF to provide a far higher rate of sharp images.

Paratom

interesting...
I still feel like coming home when using the M10 or S with optical viewfinders after using EVF for some time.
On the other side I enjoy the focus accurancy of cameras with contrast AF, even if its slower.

V

Vivek

You don’t need an EVF to make use of CDAF. Any current DSLR will let you in liveview mode. Just use the LCD.

An advanced hybrid AF involving PDAF and CDAF takes you to a different level of accuracy and speed.

interesting...
I still feel like coming home when using the M10 or S with optical viewfinders after using EVF for some time.
On the other side I enjoy the focus accurancy of cameras with contrast AF, even if its slower.

Paratom

You don’t need an EVF to make use of CDAF. Any current DSLR will let you in liveview mode. Just use the LCD.

An advanced hybrid AF involving PDAF and CDAF takes you to a different level of accuracy and speed.
yes...even though the speed of lifeview focusing of DSLRs is usually too sloooooww for my taste.
Fine for landscape but critical everything including movement

Photon42

I cannot see myself using a DSLR at arm's length using the rear display for framing at all. Tripod / macro work etc is fine. Don't do video, though.