The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D6 Possibly 60 megapixels

V

Vivek

What? With a Sony sensor?

Not Nikon designed from “scratch” ? :shocked:

Swissblad

Interesting - IMHO this does not really fit the D3, D4, D5 line/philosophy of Nikon, which is rather low resolution but with exceptional speed. Also a 8k capable video camera would be better a mirrorless camera - but who knows what Nikon decides????
Completely agree with you Peter - but - it looks like the D6 could be a super D850.... curious to see what gives.

:toocool:

Paul2660

Next generation of Sony sensors is coming for sure, and 60 to 70 would be right. About the limit I feel until optical designs can improve around issues of diffraction on a 35mm sensor.

D Family as previously mentioned has always been low MP count and high frame rate, with very high ISO range.

Note the stock ISO range of chip mentioned is 64 to 400, which is very low, and would imply that much past base ISO of 64 noise will be a factor. Reminds me of early Canon 1ds MKI ISO ranges. Even though the 1ds MKI went beyond 400, it was not very useable.

IMX455
Effective pixels: 9600×6400
Recommend recording pixels: 60MP
11/12/14/16Bit ADC
Full Pixel 9fps/14Bit ADC
SLVS-EC 8Lane
Single ADC in Video Mode
12-ADC in Still Picture Mode
Native ISO 64/400

2019 promises to be interesting for sure.

Paul C

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
At least with current sensor technology (and how its applied) this makes NO SENSE . The trend in sports photography is a merger between stills and video ...resulting in images that can be made immediately available for sports news reporting . (there are some exceptions but they are not relevant to the D6 market ). The Sony A9 is the current champ based on specifications but Nikon and Canon may still have superior auto focus systems (focus tracking ) and certainly have more complete long lens systems .

Nikon on Canon are both targeting lighter and smaller telephoto lenses at exceptionally high prices .

The challenge in using 60MPS is driving that much data thru the camera itself ..isn t Sony at 30FPS with Nikon and Canon around 12FPS . In fact many Sports photographers shoot jpegs just to get the images out faster .

However ....using a 60MP sensor with the ability to select smaller file sizes could provide a versatility that might be amazing . Having a PRO body that could capture 60mp files for detail and say 30 or even 15 mp files for speed and maybe reach . Wow !.

So I take a 400mm lens and shoot a DX size capture giving me what ? 40 Mps at a 600MM equivalent FOV . Or even 20mps at a 800MM field of view .. And to be able to change with a camera button . (I probably have the sizes wrong ). And what about FPS using smaller files .

The other issue is pixel size and how it impacts high ISO performance ..smaller the pixel (required to get to 60MPS) the worse the high ISO performance .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My guess on the D6 for sports:

When phase went to their 65MP sensor, they embedded a "small raw" option that essentially bundled a quad of 4 of the small pixels and made them a new "fat" pixel -- in this mode you were shooting a 16MP cam, not a 65MP cam, but it worked exceptionally well. In addition to 4x faster frame processing, it also gave 4x better noise/high-ISO performance. So my guess is the D6 might well have a 15MP "high ISO Sport" mode.

The real issue I see, is there are darn few lenses that can even hold up to 45MP let alone 60 -- and speaking frankly, not very many more that even hold up real well at the last gen 36 right now...

BUT!!! This news does give me pause about "up-grading" my present "old" D810's to D850's... I may just sit back and wait and see what comes out in the way of glass and this new cam over the next year...

Honestly, I haven't shot a single thing in the last two years where I felt I really needed more than my D810 delivered -- heck, I'm still looking for lenses to use with it :rolleyes:... But admittedly there were a few times I would have loved a super clean ISO 25,000 and gladly taken it even at just 9MP... Oh, and one other wish for my D810's that could easily be implemented on a 60MP sensor (and even on the D850) -- give me 3:4 and 1:1 crop/view frame options in addition...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon D6 Rumor possibly clickbait ?

Hm :toocool:

Isn't this so-called 'rumor' just a new "Camera News website" trying to make some clickbait in order to get their brand new website up and running ?

So far I haven't found one single article on the entire website with just one single comment.

tcdeveau

Next generation of Sony sensors is coming for sure, and 60 to 70 would be right. About the limit I feel until optical designs can improve around issues of diffraction on a 35mm sensor.

D Family as previously mentioned has always been low MP count and high frame rate, with very high ISO range.

Note the stock ISO range of chip mentioned is 64 to 400, which is very low, and would imply that much past base ISO of 64 noise will be a factor. Reminds me of early Canon 1ds MKI ISO ranges. Even though the 1ds MKI went beyond 400, it was not very useable.

IMX455
Effective pixels: 9600×6400
Recommend recording pixels: 60MP
11/12/14/16Bit ADC
Full Pixel 9fps/14Bit ADC
SLVS-EC 8Lane
Single ADC in Video Mode
12-ADC in Still Picture Mode
Native ISO 64/400

2019 promises to be interesting for sure.

Paul C
Could the ISO be a dual native ISO since it’s 64/400 and not 64-400? This is pretty common on cameras that do video these days. The specs reference a “video mode” and “stills mode”, so maybe native iso 64 for stills, 400 for video?

Why would Nikon put a 60MP sensor in the D6? The D5 has a 20MP sensor and was introduced in 2016, at a time when the D810 had already had a 36MP sensor in it for two years. Doesn't seem like the right body for Nikon's highest resolution sensor. It has other attributes.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Why would Nikon put a 60MP sensor in the D6? The D5 has a 20MP sensor and was introduced in 2016, at a time when the D810 had already had a 36MP sensor in it for two years. Doesn't seem like the right body for Nikon's highest resolution sensor. It has other attributes.
Sounds more like a D5X to me, and probably a competitor to Fuji medium format.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Simple answer -- processing speed. Sport shooters want high frame-rates and the in-cam processor needs to keep up. More pixels = slower/longer process times, which in turn = lower frame-rates.

With the 4x bundled pixels, you'd have a camera that delivered 60MP in still mode, maybe say even up to 5 frames per second. But now in 15MP mode, you get say 20 frames per sec and super clean high ISO; a sport shooters wet dream.

Combine those two traits and BONANZA, you may just have created the penultimate DSLR. Expensive yes, but it is an all-in-one camera. Add a few new lenses that can (somehow) handle the 60MP, and you'll put MF digital on it's butt at the same time...

But wait, there's more! And possibly a camera that also does 8K video with relative ease? Now the next 3 years of commercial user potential is probably far greater than the last 20 years of consumer business...

Interesting times :)

foveon

...With the 4x bundled pixels, you'd have a camera that delivered 60MP in still mode, maybe say even up to 5 frames per second. But now in 15MP mode, you get say 20 frames per sec and super clean high ISO; a sport shooters wet dream.....
Even if Samsung had made great progress, a lot of sensor surface is wiring, sensel for sensel , so more MP decreases the light detecting area, and downsampling 4 pixels to one doesnt remove the wires.
Loosing ISO for nothing isnt a sport shooters wet dream

... And possibly a camera that also does 8K video with relative ease? Now the next 3 years of commercial user potential is probably far greater than the last 20 years of consumer business...
The commercial user potential is very small compared to photo, 8k is behind the stars and recent 4k segment is full of strong and well established companies and strong contenders like Black Magic Design or some chinese guys.
Real commercial projects are made with rented RED or ARRI cams, and down via Sony and Canon video cams you come to the world of DSLR or mirrorless where its just en voque to have some video stuff as an add-on, maybe some bloggers will use Nikon, but most of them are happy with small sonys

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Even if Samsung had made great progress, a lot of sensor surface is wiring, sensel for sensel , so more MP decreases the light detecting area, and downsampling 4 pixels to one doesnt remove the wires.
Loosing ISO for nothing isnt a sport shooters wet dream
Firstly, it isn't simple downsampling. A traditional Bayer matrix usually looks like this:

RGBG
GBGR

The new quad-pixel Bayer matrix may now look like this:

RR GG BB GG
RR GG BB GG
GG BB GG RR
GG BB GG RR

So say you have a 3.8u actual pixel pitch, your single quad-pixel is now 7.6u with the light gathering performance of 7.6u pixels regardless of path needs, but you still have available resolution at 3.8u in single-pixel mode.

As for commercial uses... We get the sensors in the new cameras that had to have more than XX pixels mapped out, or had to have a correction curve beyond some threshold added to normalize it, but still more than good enough for photographic imaging needs. Industry gets --and pays for-- the best units.

msadat

the 60 meg sensor is rated at 9fps, not enough to pass for a d6, i think the d6 frame rate will be around 16~20. no 60 meg sensor now can work this fast.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
the 60 meg sensor is rated at 9fps, not enough to pass for a d6, i think the d6 frame rate will be around 16~20. no 60 meg sensor now can work this fast.
Correct, but a 15meg sensor could scream...

dave.gt

Simple answer -- processing speed. Sport shooters want high frame-rates and the in-cam processor needs to keep up. More pixels = slower/longer process times, which in turn = lower frame-rates.

With the 4x bundled pixels, you'd have a camera that delivered 60MP in still mode, maybe say even up to 5 frames per second. But now in 15MP mode, you get say 20 frames per sec and super clean high ISO; a sport shooters wet dream.

Combine those two traits and BONANZA, you may just have created the penultimate DSLR. Expensive yes, but it is an all-in-one camera. Add a few new lenses that can (somehow) handle the 60MP, and you'll put MF digital on it's butt at the same time...

But wait, there's more! And possibly a camera that also does 8K video with relative ease? Now the next 3 years of commercial user potential is probably far greater than the last 20 years of consumer business...

Interesting times :)
Even with the present high-end Nikon cameras (new) being way out of reach for me, it is clear that the current D5 is not terribly expensive and can easily be part of a five-year business plan. With the much higher prices of Medium Format, which can not compete with a D5 for sports, weddings, and such, the D5 is a bargain in comparison.

A new D6 is badly needed and with the performance potential mentioned by Jack above, it would be a "no-brainer" decision to purchase.

Interesting, indeed!:thumbs:

One wonders though, has Nikon ever released a road map for their products?

There is more to MFD than MP.