The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z 14-30 f/4 S specifications

SrMphoto

Assuming the 80-400mm is one of the TBA lens, it looks like you are in for a three year wait.
Why wait for 80-400 S when F mount 70-300 AF-P is already available and even with FTZ light and small?
Wish Nikon had something like Sony's 100-400 that accepts teleconverters and still produces great results.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Why wait for 80-400 S when F mount 70-300 AF-P is already available and even with FTZ light and small?
Wish Nikon had something like Sony's 100-400 that accepts teleconverters and still produces great results.
I tested the current 80-400 with FTZ converter and it was unfortunately much less responsive on a Z7 compared to the D850/D810. Especially for wildlife I find this too slow. Hence the wish for a native 80-400 S-lens that would definitely not have these issues.

The 70-300 is what the name says - a 70-300 BUT for decent wildlife photography I at least need a 400 on the tele end.

V

Vivek

You should check the 200-500.

I tested the current 80-400 with FTZ converter and it was unfortunately much less responsive on a Z7 compared to the D850/D810. Especially for wildlife I find this too slow. Hence the wish for a native 80-400 S-lens that would definitely not have these issues.

The 70-300 is what the name says - a 70-300 BUT for decent wildlife photography I at least need a 400 on the tele end.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You should check the 200-500.
I know the 200-500 and there are 2 facts that I finally never bought one:

1) I need the zoom range at least down to 100mm, better 80 or 70mm
2) this lens is far too heavy for me to carry round

It's that easy. And this is unfortunate because for the price the 200-500 is a stellar performer.

SrMphoto

A non-zoom solution would be 300mm f/4 PF with 1.4x TC. People are reporting decent results with that combo.
With Z 7 you can quickly switch to DX mode which 'converts' the 70-300mm into 105-450mm

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A non-zoom solution would be 300mm f/4 PF with 1.4x TC. People are reporting decent results with that combo.
With Z 7 you can quickly switch to DX mode which 'converts' the 70-300mm into 105-450mm
It's still a 70-300mm, you just don't see the whole picture when you switch to DX mode. However, both of the 70-300mm AF-P lenses get very good reviews, and may be interesting companions to the Z6/7 cameras.

SrMphoto

It's still a 70-300mm, you just don't see the whole picture when you switch to DX mode. However, both of the 70-300mm AF-P lenses get very good reviews, and may be interesting companions to the Z6/7 cameras.

What do you mean by "you just don't see the whole picture when you switch to DX "?
The resulting image is cropped and the EVF shows only the DX crop. Dynamic range suffers, though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What do you mean by "you just don't see the whole picture when you switch to DX "?
The resulting image is cropped and the EVF shows only the DX crop. Dynamic range suffers, though.
No, what you see in DX mode is the cropped part of the FX frame. You may as well crop in PS later, although the FX file is of course larger. DR is the same in any case. It's still the same sensor.

The main advantage using DX mode on a mrrorless camera is that the DX image fills the viewfinder, as opposed to on a DSLR, where the area around the DX frame is blacked out or a frame is placed around the cropped area.

SrMphoto

No, what you see in DX mode is the cropped part of the FX frame. You may as well crop in PS later, although the FX file is of course larger. DR is the same in any case. It's still the same sensor.

The main advantage using DX mode on a mrrorless camera is that the DX image fills the viewfinder, as opposed to on a DSLR, where the area around the DX frame is blacked out or a frame is placed around the cropped area.
In my post, I put 'converts' in quotes because it, of course, does not convert anything. For practical purposes, with a Z 7 camera, you get the same resolution as Z 6 or m43 cameras when cropping by 1.5x.

Interestingly, the photographic dynamic range (PDR) does change between FX and DX modes:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20Z%207,Nikon%20Z%207(DX)

That effect has been discussed extensively on forums.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In my post, I put 'converts' in quotes because it, of course, does not convert anything. For practical purposes, with a Z 7 camera, you get the same resolution as Z 6 or m43 cameras when cropping by 1.5x.

Interestingly, the photographic dynamic range (PDR) does change between FX and DX modes:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20Z%207,Nikon%20Z%207(DX)

That effect has been discussed extensively on forums.
I believe that the chart you linked to shows the dynamic range when the DX and FX images are printed at the same size. That's like using a "digital zoom" which will reduce the DR as well as the ISO response. Pixel by pixel, the two modes will render identical results, but the photo shot in DX mode will have to be printed corespondingly smaller.

SrMphoto

I believe that the chart you linked to shows the dynamic range when the DX and FX images are printed at the same size. That's like using a "digital zoom" which will reduce the DR as well as the ISO response. Pixel by pixel, the two modes will render identical results, but the photo shot in DX mode will have to be printed corespondingly smaller.
The question is, what does it mean in practice? It means that you can get technically better images if you shoot with a 450mm lens in FX mode than when shooting in DX mode with a 300mm lens, assuming you print them at the same size.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The question is, what does it mean in practice? It means that you can get technically better images if you shoot with a 450mm lens in FX mode than when shooting in DX mode with a 300mm lens, assuming you print them at the same size.
Obviously, but this is nothing new, and it doesn't matter if you crop in-camera or later with a computer.

Thorkil

my ordered 14-30S will arrive in april, Nikon.dk has told my dealer (just to let you all know, that you can let the savings begin until then.. :))