The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z 14-30 f/4 S specifications

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am very excited by this lens - definitely much better useable as an Olympus 2.8/7-14 PRO and it seems to be extraordinary sharp while light and compact.

I am more and more convinced that this new Z-system could sooner or later replace my current m43 system (Olympus) and still be in compact territory :cool:

AlexLF

Yes, Nikon Z looks very tasty but I want to see what Panasonic will offer with their S1R.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am very excited by this lens - definitely much better useable as an Olympus 2.8/7-14 PRO and it seems to be extraordinary sharp while light and compact.

I am more and more convinced that this new Z-system could sooner or later replace my current m43 system (Olympus) and still be in compact territory :cool:
Ha ha... my thoughts as well. I'll have a look at the Panasonic too when it arrives, maybe buy one of them with some basic lenses and live with two systems until I decide where to head next. There's a lack of telephoto lenses on Nikon's roadmap, and the only one mentioned, the 70-200 mm f/2.8, will probably be neither small nor lightweight, although I would love to be proven wrong. The Z6/7 bodies are around the same size as the GX8 bodies that I currently use, and the two zoom lenses launched so far are so compact that they compete with m4/3 for size. Where m4/3 wins is when it comes to small primes and obviously with very long telephoto lenses.

I can see myself carrying a GX8 and a Z6 permanently.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ha ha... my thoughts as well. I'll have a look at the Panasonic too when it arrives, maybe buy one of them with some basic lenses and live with two systems until I decide where to head next. There's a lack of telephoto lenses on Nikon's roadmap, and the only one mentioned, the 70-200 mm f/2.8, will probably be neither small nor lightweight, although I would love to be proven wrong. The Z6/7 bodies are around the same size as the GX8 bodies that I currently use, and the two zoom lenses launched so far are so compact that they compete with m4/3 for size. Where m4/3 wins is when it comes to small primes and obviously with very long telephoto lenses.

I have seen a photo of the 2.8/70-200 S somewhere on the Internet and if this was serious then this lens would become really small - there is hope!

I also hope for a native S 4.5-5.6/80-400 sooner than later then I would be covered 100%

And BTW I would go with the Z7 because then the resulting APSC crop would still be around 20MP

Photon42

Yes indeed. I sold all my "pro" lenses for m43. Still have some smaller stuff which is mostly hard to sell at a reasonable price point and a Pen-F, which I just feel I cannot part with.

Photon42

It is true that longer tele lenses aren't yet on their roadmap, and I wonder if that is actually changing anytime soon. Expensive specialized lenses with relatively low production volume. Nothing which helps to bring Nikon's R&D costs back soon. In addition I would think that long tele lenses (given they work comparably well with the adapter) are already around and this little adapter is negligible in terms of size and weight.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It is true that longer tele lenses aren't yet on their roadmap, and I wonder if that is actually changing anytime soon. Expensive specialized lenses with relatively low production volume. Nothing which helps to bring Nikon's R&D costs back soon. In addition I would think that long tele lenses (given they work comparably well with the adapter) are already around and this little adapter is negligible in terms of size and weight.
Absolutely. 14-30 f/4, 24-70 f/4 and the the existing 70-200 f/4 and 300 f/4 in F-mount would be an interesting combination. Add a macro and a portrait lens and it's a very workable setup.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Absolutely. 14-30 f/4, 24-70 f/4 and the the existing 70-200 f/4 and 300 f/4 in F-mount would be an interesting combination. Add a macro and a portrait lens and it's a very workable setup.
Guys, please lets add a 80-400 f4.5-5.6 - same as for F-mount, just make it S-mount :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have to admit that this looks pretty cool. One body plus the three lenses weighs around 2 kg. Add the F-mount 70-200 f/4 and the 300 PF plus a second body and it's still around 4 kg. Add the 60 or 105mm macro and it's still well under 5 kg.

We'll see.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have to admit that this looks pretty cool. One body plus the three lenses weighs around 2 kg. Add the F-mount 70-200 f/4 and the 300 PF plus a second body and it's still around 4 kg. Add the 60 or 105mm macro and it's still well under 5 kg.
We'll see.
And it will become even better as soon as all these lenses will be available in S-mount:clap:

Thorkil

We'll see.
Yes, even though I'm almost broke by gear now, I must admit that the Z14-30 at 85mm lenght and only 485 gram, compared to my Tamron 15-30 at 145 + 30mm adapter = 175mm and the WEIGHT at 1.100gr+130gr = 1.230 gram(!) - the Z14-30 looks like an unavoidable must - even though I'm no fan of the collapse design, but... its extremely portable
Then it might be a good thing, that the Z20/1.8 is cancelled for 2019 and we will have to wait for 2020 for that must-have

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Guys, I cannot help but in the light of the upcoming big and ugly EM1X from Olympus that houses a tiny 20MP m43 sensor, I get ever so more attracted by this Nikon FF mirrorless offering and what can be expected to come for the Z-mount over the next years.

I must say as soon as the are serious and confirm their 80-400 S-lens my switch over from m43 (Olympus) will be done! Such a beautiful system with beautiful lenses and all FF :clap:

V

Vivek

Ugly? It (the olympus monstrosity)may become an iconic camera!:ROTFL:

I must say as soon as the are serious and confirm their 80-400 S-lens my switch over from m43 (Olympus) will be done! Such a beautiful system with beautiful lenses and all FF :clap:
Assuming the 80-400mm is one of the TBA lens, it looks like you are in for a three year wait.