The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z6 & Z7 Major Firmware Update Coming

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If my memories serve me right then this upcoming FW update for the Z6 and Z7 is a real FIRST of it's kind for Nikon - it adds a number of key features like

1) Eye AF
2) ProRes RAW with external Atoms Ninja 5
3) CFexpress support

https://www.dpreview.com/news/70116...deo-support-and-cfexpress-support-to-z-series

This shows that Nikon takes their future with mirrorless cameras really serious, significantly adding to AF capabilities, offering top notch video features (this is really PRO) and support for the fastest media available over the next years.

Add to that their new 4/14-30 and their future is looking really bright :clap::clap::clap:

pegelli

If you don’t like that, there is Sony. No worries of regular FW updates! :scry:
Yes, the Sony FW updates are less frequent, only on current/latest models and a mixed blessing when they happen.

I still remember from years ago some AF improvements for my A700 and A850 that really helped (as well as the adjustable noise reduction on the A700)

Then introducing the "star-eater" in several A7"x" FW updates was stupid, but introducing the lossless RAW in their (then) current A7"x" models was appreciated, but left people with older models out in the cold.

Back to the OP, I like the things NIKON is announcing to upgrade their current Z6/7 offerings with FW updates but I wonder how long it takes to see these in the field because they didn't announce the new FW, they announced the development of some options that would be implemented with a future FW update. On the other hand the development is probably far enough advanced that they are sure they can deliver the goods in the not too distant future, otherwise the risk of a snag in the development of these features would cost them a lot of goodwill.

Darin Marcus

New info about the planned firmware updates was made available by Nikon (https://imaging.nikon.com/library/news-archives/2019/news190214.htm):

Coming in May:

1. Support for Eye-Detection AF for still image shooting (scheduled for release in May 2019)
Eye-Detection AF is convenient for portrait photography. The Eye-Detection AF in development will work not only with the AF-S (Single AF) focus mode that is convenient when photographing still human subjects, but also with the AF-C (Continuous AF) focus mode, which is effective when photographing human subjects that frequently adjust or change their pose. What's more, the function is capable of detecting multiple eyes, from which the user can select the eye upon which the camera should focus, allowing the photographer greater flexibility when photographing multiple people to suit their intent.

2. Increased AF/AE performance (scheduled for release in May 2019)
AE (auto exposure) tracking will be newly possible in continuous high-speed (extended) mode, in addition to the AF tracking that existed previously. In addition, low-light AF performance will be improved, enabling faster autofocusing in dark or dimly lit surroundings with both still-image shooting and movie recording.

Coming at a later date:

3. Support for RAW video output
Output of 4K UHD and Full HD RAW data stream from the camera will be supported. The output RAW data stream can then be recorded in the compatible RAW format using an external recorder. This will allow users to utilize rich 12-bit colors to achieve flexible color grading.
Release timing for this feature will be announced at a later date.

4. Support for CFexpress memory cards
The new firmware will provide support for CFexpress, a new standard for memory cards. Having passed durability tests in which they were inserted and removed from a camera 12,000 times, these memory cards offer users a greater sense of security. They also offer high-speed performance that will provide users with a more efficient workflow. After upgrading, users will be able to use both CFexpress as well as XQD cards in their camera interchangeably. In addition to the Z 7 and Z 6, in the future, CFexpress memory card support will be added to the Nikon D5 (XQD-Type), Nikon D850, and Nikon D500 digital SLR cameras as well.
Release timing for this feature will be announced at a later date.

I am wondering if update 2 will include some additional "unofficial" AF improvements...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice! Now, if it could also detect both eyes and adjust focal distance and aperture to keep them both in critical focus, it would be a killer feature!!!

Paul2660

Still amazes me Nikon can’t spend time in pixel shift for these cameras. Similar to Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax.

They have one of the best IBIS designs can should be able to implement such a setup.

Results could be most impressive.

Paul C

Photon42

Still amazes me Nikon can’t spend time in pixel shift for these cameras. Similar to Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax.

They have one of the best IBIS designs can should be able to implement such a setup.

Results could be most impressive.

Paul C
Maybe they do.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
How do you pick which eye, or will it simply pick the closest?

I'd love to see an auto-DoF mode where I can designate several arbitrary AF points, and the camera stops down enough for them all to be in critical focus. If they did that they could auto-place AF points over all eyes and make sure they're all within the DoF. This means they no longer focus on any given point, in fact wide open nothing at all may be in focus! Basically, give us the DoF scale back (those were actually useful), except with a higher standard of what constitutes critical focus - and in real time (no twiddling with scales and aperture marks on a tripod - full AF-C support).